Goldfish Fry Journal

RyukinFan

I have never had any experience with goldfish fry before, sorry in advance if I do things which frustrate you, I'll do my best to keep the fry as successfully as possible; and will listen to any suggestions!

As some of you may already know, my goldfish spawned around 4 to 5 days ago while I was out of the house. So I came back to find eggs in the tank. I am, therefore, not 100% sure who the eggs belong to, I am about 75% sure it was my female black moor and the three male ryukins. Some may have also belonged to my red fantail, but I have not seen her chased as yet.

The eggs (with the elodea they were on), have been put in a 60l tub.

I have since added a few comet eggs from the pond.

The first batch of eggs hatched about 2 days ago now. I have counted around 35 fry sitting around the edge of the tub, and presume there are more hiding at the bottom or on the elodea.

There are still fertilised eggs unhatched from the second batch.

I had originally set the water at a depth of 6 inches, but have since lowered it slightly to 5 and will lower it to 4 tomorrow, to ease the pressure on them.

As the fry have started to swim from plant to tub side, I have set up a brine shrimp cultivating system, to ensure I have some artemia ready in case they should be free-swimming more regularly.

I will update tomorrow.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

Today, the fry seem to have grown quite a bit and no longer look like a black line with 2 dots. They are mainly hanging on the side or on plants near the surface. A few are swimming around a little occasionally, but they certainly don't look ready for the brine shrimp yet. I'm hoping that by tomorrow morning there'll be 40 fry begging for food. We shall see.

I also have a few questions if some of you wouldn't mind answering these, that would be great:

Something that I haven't been told and it doesn't say on the bottle, is that with brine shrimp, how much should I be putting in 750ml of water? And after they've hatched in the short period, how long until they are too big for the fry to eat?

Also do you know how I should be doing the water changes so as not to hurt the fry?

At 3 days old will the fry require an airstone?

I usually put 1 tsp of brine shrimp eggs in at a time. They won't get too big for the fish to eat. What I did was squirt them onto a few layers of cheese cloth and rinsed them so I wouldn't raise the salinity in the fry tank. For water changes, at least for a while, the best bet is to scoop the water out with a pitcher or bowl or something and replace it very slowly. When they got a little bigger, I used a small tube to siphon into a tub in case I accidentally sucked one up (and it DID happen) they would still be okay. They don't need an airstone.

I usually put 1 tsp of brine shrimp eggs in at a time. They won't get too big for the fish to eat. What I did was squirt them onto a few layers of cheese cloth and rinsed them so I wouldn't raise the salinity in the fry tank. For water changes, at least for a while, the best bet is to scoop the water out with a pitcher or bowl or something and replace it very slowly. When they got a little bigger, I used a small tube to siphon into a tub in case I accidentally sucked one up (and it DID happen) they would still be okay. They don't need an airstone.

Thanks that's really helpful, you don't realise how delicate they are until you take water out and cause a tiny current and they can't fight against it at all!

Here's a few pictures I've taken:

First is my new tri-colour ryukin, who I saw chasing the moor, so he may be one of the fathers.

Tendring-20120515-00243.jpg

This is the 60L tub the fry are being kept in, underneath the main tank.

Tendring-20120515-00246.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality but here's a few pictures of the fry on the side walls of the tub, the pictures were taken on my phone, hence the lack in clarity.

Tendring-20120515-00245.jpg

Tendring-20120515-00244.jpg

I'll try to upload pics of who belive the mother was and the other potential fathers, bit like Jeremy Kyle or Jerry Springer this is! :D

Something that I haven't been told and it doesn't say on the bottle, is that with brine shrimp, how much should I be putting in 750ml of water? And after they've hatched in the short period, how long until they are too big for the fry to eat?

Also do you know how I should be doing the water changes so as not to hurt the fry?

Recomended salt is 30-32 grams per liter so your 750 ml can take 24 grams. also if water is "soft" a pinch of baking soda powder and epsom salt helps hatch rate %. not more than 1 to 3 grams of eggs , 28°C is ideal temperature.. use syringe to remove the live artemia and just squirt it into the nursery, the salt is ok and in fact good thing. depends upon how fast fry grow, usually about 5.-8 days before they chase the live food.

Recomended salt is 30-32 grams per liter so your 750 ml can take 24 grams. also if water is "soft" a pinch of baking soda powder and epsom salt helps hatch rate %. not more than 1 to 3 grams of eggs , 28°C is ideal temperature.. use syringe to remove the live artemia and just squirt it into the nursery, the salt is ok and in fact good thing. depends upon how fast fry grow, usually about 5.-8 days before they chase the live food.

Thank you Mikroll, they are the answers I have been looking for.

Today the fry seem to have grown and developed, yet they are still clinging to the sides. A little more activity has been seen from some of them, but mainly they have not seemed to be looking for food. I have added a tiny amount of brine shrimp to see if the more active wanted any but up to know they seem uninterested, I will do another water change soon.

that is the normal way they grow and soon will begin to dart around and swim and search for food particles. such as very fines food like sera micron dust, liquifry first bites or a drop of milk which is what i now give mine. I too have more new hatched butterfly fry this week and also test then with a few brine shrimps today.

that is the normal way they grow and soon will begin to dart around and swim and search for food particles. such as very fines food like sera micron dust, liquifry first bites or a drop of milk which is what i now give mine. I too have more new hatched butterfly fry this week and also test then with a few brine shrimps today.

Good, I'm glad this is normal behaviour.

Congratulations on the fry, in the coming weeks if mine do alright we can compare their growth.

I know have 75 or so hungry fry. The vast majority of them are off the sides now and sitting horizontally at mid-depth in the water. I've added 4inches of an airtube full of brine shrimp to all four corners of the tub, and the fry seem to oblige and jolt about presumably feeding! :)

I'm probably going to feed some egg yolk tonight before the water change in case any fry are too small for the brine shrimp!

Instead of feeding just egg yolk, I have powdered up some Tetra Gold Japan Pellets and Algae wafers and have mixed this with the egg yolk in a small clip shut tube. I've filled this us and mixed all the contents together so it makes a soup. I've used a small pipette and added it to the tub a few times this evening, the fry seem to go made in the cloud it makes. I'm seeing lots of full stomachs too, hopefully it will stay this way! :D

Today the fry are very active.

They are constantly on the look for food, with brine shrimp being their favourite. The egg yolk and food powder does seem to be a success though, it makes a really nice cloud in the water and hangs there for ages, which I think helps them out nicely.

I've been doing 90% water changes daily, feeding the water back in using an air tube, so that there isn't a current.

I've made a sponge filter for the tank, does anyone know if it would be alright if I cycled this in the main tank until the fry are ready for it?

I've made a sponge filter for the tank, does anyone know if it would be alright if I cycled this in the main tank until the fry are ready for it?

anytime you introduce somethng that has been exposed to other fish there is risk . so you will have to retreat for parasite such as fluke , at least that is how i do it.

After having difficulties with my other fish, the fry seem to be holding up well.

I've given up on feeding egg yolk, it doesn't seem to last long before it begins to smell and makes the water go foul.

Just feeding brine shrimp and powdered pellets right now and they seem quite content.

90% water changes daily are keeping the water in good check, and now the fry seem to be developing well, I'm now starting to see little tails and fins forming, along with the little stomachs full of food!

Fry are doing well, some have white backs, some have black. Not sure if this is a problem or colour changing?

Have upped the water level to 6 inches again and now have the home made sponge filter in there simmering away gently.

I'm predominantly feeding brine shrimp now as it is pretty easy, doesn't foul the water and the fry love it.

Hi all, does anyone know if I will be able to use a 'fine sea salt' my fry tub that has 'silicon dioxide' as the anti-caking agent?

If not, would it be ok for brine shrimp?

Thanks in advance.

• Admin

Hi all, does anyone know if I will be able to use a 'fine sea salt' my fry tub that has 'silicon dioxide' as the anti-caking agent?

If not, would it be ok for brine shrimp?

Thanks in advance.

Not aquatic salt.... With any aquatic animal you dont want anything in the salt. Just SALT! :thumb: