Sign in to follow this  
Percyhappy

Please help me. Speckles is lying on bottom, has an extremely swollen abdomen and is spitting out food?

I have done three rounds of Prazi using the schedule that is on this website. So should I stop the metro med or wait til its 14 days? I am almost at 14 days.

I would like for you to do one more round of Prazi, WHILE Speckles is still on Metro-Meds. You can stop the Metro-Meds after 4 days of this round of Prazi.

Ok I will do that. Even though I'm worried about his belly swelling, he has come a LONG way. If you look at the first video he couldn't even get off the bottom of the tank. He was not eating at first and when he did he was spitting out his food. He was lethargic also and would lie on the bottom all the time. Now he is active, swimming, gobbling up his food, and not spitting it out... so at least those things are positive. :)

Edited by Percyhappy

:rofl

I think he's fine. Some fish just have huge bellies, or that you managed to halt the infection but there is some residual damage. Either way, I think we are done with treatments for now, and hopefully for good :)

he looks good :) He's such a pretty fish. Do you have jumpstart or any food containing probiotics (e.g. saki hikari purple bag, pro gold)?

If he is done with prazi treatment you can switch him over to progold. If not keep feeding MMs until you are done with the prazi treatment

Oh no...... I came back from the store today and speckles was upside-down. I was horrified. I tapped on the glass and he instantly flipped over and started swimming around begging for food. He is done with his metro med (he was on over 14 days) I don't know whats wrong... he's acting fine otherwise but.. I don't know what to do. It almost looks more like he can't seem to figure out which way is up and which is down and not so much that he's "floating" because when he gets oriented in the right direction he doesn't seem to have trouble staying down :(

Edited by Percyhappy

Sounds like he is just constipated and has some swim bladder issues. I would fast him for a couple days, then followed with well cooked spinach for a few days, until the problem is fixed and he is pooping green.

Ok, I haven't tested the nitrates, maybe they're too high? I'll check that. (**edited**: I had written that I didn't have directions to test for nitrates but i do sorry for the confusion)

UPDATE: Nitrates are 20, that is too high isn't it?

Edited by Percyhappy

Ok, I haven't tested the nitrates, maybe they're too high? I'll check that. (**edited**: I had written that I didn't have directions to test for nitrates but i do sorry for the confusion)

20 is fine, but definitely don't let it get higher than 40ppm, especially in fish with tendencies to develop swim bladder issues.

I have one more question. Why is it that Speckles is upside down yet not at the top floating??

This is a characteristic presentation of swim bladder issues. What have you been feeding Speckles since he's off Metro-Meds? How much and how often? I would recommend feeding him some well-cooked baby spinach or green beans until you see green poop.

20 is fine, but definitely don't let it get higher than 40ppm, especially in fish with tendencies to develop swim bladder issues.

I have one more question. Why is it that Speckles is upside down yet not at the top floating??

This is a characteristic presentation of swim bladder issues. What have you been feeding Speckles since he's off Metro-Meds? How much and how often? I would recommend feeding him some well-cooked baby spinach or green beans until you see green poop.

Looks like the "sinking" type of sbp. Need to change his diet like Alex said. Also lesser amount and lower your water level will also help. Your fish will only slime down thru' fasting.

It is a multifactorial thing, and things like water level, diet, nitrates, and other factors can exacerbate the condition.

Peas are fine to try.