Sign in to follow this  
Percyhappy

Please help me. Speckles is lying on bottom, has an extremely swollen abdomen and is spitting out food?

Speckles is very active and eating well. The bloating has gone down a LITTLE.. but not as much as I'd like. Is there anything other than metro-med, fluke meds, and 100% water changes that can help more with the bloating or is that just something that may take some time?

When it comes to treating fish, the biggest frustration is the exercise of patience. Goldfish are hardy in a lot of ways, and fragile in many others. This means that when we medicate, we have to make sure the meds we are using are effective, but not overly harsh, because the harsh ones will do more harm, or even cause fatality.

I am very happy to hear of the progress, so just make sure you feed her 1% of her body weight in Metro-Meds daily, and do the other things we discuss. Hopefully, she will be back in perfect condition soon! :)

These are before and after videos. The first video was taken 5/9/12. The second video was taken today 5/22. Can you see any difference in the swelling? I can't really see much.. but maybe a little? He's definitely more active.

5/9

5/22

When did you start the Metro-Meds? How many days of Epsom was she on?

Lastly, could you (very very gently) try to feel her belly? Is it firm or is squishy? In between?

Metro meds has been about 5 days. I dosed the tank one time with Epsom salt and Speckles was only in it for 1 day then I did the 100% water change you were talking about. It is squishy, but not as much as before

oops metro meds i've been using for 4 days now. Maybe I'm not giving Speckles enough? I have not bought a scale i've just been guessing. I'm gonna buy one tonight

I think if you can weigh Speckles, that's the best way we can ensure that we feed enough of the antibiotic food.

I do want to say that after 4 days, she's making great progress. :)

I think the scale is a great idea :) I was surprised at how much I was underfeeding my fish meds when I finally bought a scale. Let us know how it goes. It sounds like speckles is making good progress for only 4 days of MMs.

Speckles is doing great, BUT he's started to spit his food out and then eat it again. It's strange because he'll eat it initially and chew on it for about 5 minutes, then spits it out, THEN goes and eats it again... so he is eating it but its just strange that he spits it out.

By the way, I'm trying to decide if Speckles is male/female. I don't know how to tell them apart, if I don't know... does he look like a she or he? lol

Edited by Percyhappy

Will you upload a video of Speckles, or some pictures, so we can see progress? That would be fantastic! :)

Have you been treating Speckles with Prazipro for flukes? The spitting out of food is a sign of either gill or mouth irritation, which makes it uncomfortable to chew. I just want to make sure also that Speckles is eating her food in the end.

I have no idea whether Speckles is male or female. Additional multimedia may help to determine this :)

could she/he can be fat? After her treatmemt.

Actually at lunch time she ate it without spitting it out. I am treating with the prazi.. but it hasn't been very long yet. I will definitely post video of her.

In terms of sexing, as Alex said additional pics would help.

But take a look at the infor/pics in this thread: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96400-help-identifying-sex/page__hl__sexing__st__20

You can take a look at the vent, males typically have a concave vent, while females have a convex vent. Males also tend to have a thicker front to their pectoral fins (sometimes accompanied by breeding stars on them), while females have thinner pectorals. Also look for breeding stars on the cheeks/gill plates.

I have seen the breeding stars on other fish, didn't know what it meant. cool!! Here's Speckles, he's still swollen in the abdomen.. BUT this is the most active I've seen him. I gave him a soccer ball he likes to push it around :) I just got my new scale today so I am going to have a more exact amount of how much food I need to feed him. Maybe that's the problem?? The amount I'm feeding isn't right??

PS- I definitely think the swelling has gone down even if it is only a little bit. Look at the first videos I first posted. This is him eating, he does have an appetite.

How many days of Epsom did he/she have in the past? I'm very happy and encouraged with the increased activity :)

I want that soccer ball....

Speckles loves the soccer ball. I also have a football but he won't push that one around. Anyways as far as epsom salt, I was told to discontinue it because it can be risky and can cause anemia.. so then I was told to just do the metro meds but the swelling isn't going down and that worries me. I'm glad that Speckles is at least active though. He's started to get more and more friendly when I come near the tank.

This was Speckles on 5/14... His abdomen in this video does look a little bigger than it is now... What do you think? I think its gone down a little. Also at this time he could barely get off the bottom of the tank. Look how far he's come in that last video

I understand about the Epsom. However, I would like to review the treatment history so far, so as to see if Epsom treatment is warranted again. Probably not, but I just want to make sure :)

Yeah he was only on the epsom salt one day then I did a 100% water change. I can't believe how many posts there are just because of Speckles!!

We also fed Epsom in peas for the first couple days :)

So is there anything else I can do to help Speckles? He's still very active. Every day he gets more and more animated, but no change in the swelling. :( Should I still continue with the 100% daily water changes??

I would continue with the WCs until the completion of the med course.

It is entirely possible that Speckles has retained some internal damage, and will retain this shape indefinitely. However, we need to finish the course to ensure that she/he doesn't harbor any internal infections. Once done, she should be fine :)

:) Ok so I weighed her on the scale and I'm terrible with math. The scale said the fish is 3.4 ounces or, 101 grams. How much to feed the fish?