Sign in to follow this  
Percyhappy

Please help me. Speckles is lying on bottom, has an extremely swollen abdomen and is spitting out food?

Epsom can be used in conjunction with Metro-Meds. For certain things, we do recommend it. However, the concern always when using Epsom is that over-exposure could lead to development of anemia. Given that you already have Metro-Meds, that's the better option, so let's go with that.

How is Speckles today?

Best wishes for Speckles. Sending healing vibes for him. :)

Thanks for everyones concern. He's a special fish. He looks great and is eating well, a lot better than before because he's no longer spitting it out. I hope that one day if he gets bette rhe can be in my 65 gallon with my other fish. I bet he's lonely in the quarantine tank

Thanks for everyones concern. He's a special fish. He looks great and is eating well, a lot better than before because he's no longer spitting it out. I hope that one day if he gets bette rhe can be in my 65 gallon with my other fish. I bet he's lonely in the quarantine tank

Great news! When you have a moment, could you please post the latest water parameters, as well? Thanks :)

I have a question, the PH of my tap water is 6.5 so I use a little baking soda. Wouldn't a 100% change be too much of a shock because of the change in PH?

yes ill post them in a few minutes

There are a couple of really easy solutions to this:

1. If you can age your water and treat with baking soda for at least 24 hours, then the pH won't be an issue :)

2. The other solution is to remove Speckles and put her in a container (4-5 gallons) of her old water, with an airstone, while you perform the 100% WC and add baking soda. It should take no more than 15 minutes (if that much) for the tap of the pH to rise from 6.5 to 7.2. Just check your pH to make sure that all is well before moving her back. We normally don't recommend 100% WCs, but I think for these purposes, continual fresh water is really crucial.

Edit: Thank you for bringing to my attention the pH difference :)

Edited by dnalex

Thank you for the parameters. The reason why I asked for them (and will ask again intermittently) is that during the treatment and recovery phases, we want to do everything we can in our power to keep the water as clean and free of toxic chemicals as we can. This includes nitrates. The reason being is that these substances are major stressors, which will adversely affect the recovery.

A pH of 7 is actually not bad, provided that you can keep it stable there. In this case, I am a little bit concerned, since the kH is only 40. I'd like to see it around 100-150. How much baking soda have you been adding? I would try to double the amount and see how much you've raised the kH by doing that.

A lot of our members here prefer to keep their water on the slightly alkaline side (7.8-8.4). However, when you do that, you have to be really careful not to ever have any ammonia in the water, and a cycle bump in these conditions make it a bit more dangerous, since at this pH range, there will be quite a bit of free, unionized ammonia, which is toxic. Ideally, we want to aim for a pH of around 7.4.

The KH is low, the problem is, when I add more baking soda to raise the KH to where I want it, it'll make the PH go up to about 8.0 or higher. Also, I am not sure how much to use, I usually just add it little by little until the PH gets to where I want it. Ive been told though its better to have a steady PH that may not be perfect or exactly where I want it, rather than one that is the right PH but is unstable. How do you feel about this?

I would agree with that assessment. However, a kH of 40 is too soft, and does not provide any stability to the pH.

I would like to suggest starting fresh (perhaps the next time you do 100% WC), to add little by little until you reach a pH of 7.4. Then, check the alkalinity. Your fish will be fine going from 7 to 7.4. It's really downswings that are the big stressors.

I am actually in the middle of a 100% change. The water that is in there will now be 6.5. from the tap. Is Speckles ok in a bucket for a little while til I get the PH right?

I have a battery powered aerator in the bucket with Speckles

She will be fine there for hours. I've left fish in a 4 gallon bucket with airstone overnight before :)

Speckle's swelling is going down slightly. I've been doing 100% water changes and today is the day for fluke meds. I'll keep everyone posted and put up pictures. Thanks for all the support. :)

That's great news, Percy! Hope he continues to get better with every passing day. Wonderful job taking good care of him. :clap

great news! :)

Fantastic! How are you doing with the pH issue?

question, with this:

Day 0 = add Prazi

Day 2 = 100% WC, add Prazi

Day 4 = 100% WC, DO NOT ADD PRAZI for two days

Day 6 = 100% WC, add Prazi

Day 8 = 100% WC, add Prazi

Day 10 = 100% Wc, do not add Prazi

I sound so stupid but, I just realized that the days are every other day. If day 2 I do a water change and prazi, then What about day 3? what do I do on day 3? It only says what to do on day 4. Does it mean just don't do anything?

Fantastic! How are you doing with the pH issue?

The PH is now at 7.4 and the KH is over 100. :)

Yup. :D

Nothing on those off days, except to feed them, of course. :D

Sorry for all the questions but, how do you know to use metro-meds and not medi-gold? What if it is a bacterial infection? Is he getting the right medicine? I have never seen anything like this (the swollen abdomen) so I have no clue as to what it is.

Sorry for all the questions but, how do you know to use metro-meds and not medi-gold? What if it is a bacterial infection? Is he getting the right medicine? I have never seen anything like this (the swollen abdomen) so I have no clue as to what it is.

The short answer is that I know because I asked you to describe the symptoms, upload media to verify, and then I went with the choice of medication that is most likely to be effective. Given the response so far, I think we are on the right track, no?

Both Metro-Meds and Medi-Gold are antibiotic food, designed to treat bacterial infections (and also protozoan infections in the case of Metro-Meds). Given that your fish is displaying a lot of bloating, Medi-Gold is out of the discussion, since that Medi-Gold is really strong, and could further exacerbate the kidney condition.

The flukes treatment is that there is a very good chance that flukes is present on Speckles, and since you are already feeding Speckles antibiotic foods which will help to stave off secondary bacterial infections, now is also a great chance to treat for flukes. Hence the Prazi :)

Thank you so much for the response. I am learning more and more being on this forum you have already taught me so much. I appreciate it. Thank you!!

We are happy to be helpful, since we all are a tad obsessed with goldfish.

How is Speckles doing?