Sign in to follow this  
BriansMom

Is it safe to transfer fish to another tank in the same house?

I sure have a lot of questions lately!

I want to move a fish over from my 30 to my 55g, does this run any risks? I mean I have never had problems in the 30g so I assume it would be safe but I am not sure if some things that are in there that I dont know of may show up in a different tank.

I would just do a quick water test to be sure ph and temps are stable, and do acclamation procedure as usual...

There can be some risks with this - if you've had the 55G (for example) running for 9 months, and the 30G for 3 months as closed systems and the fish in each tank are from different places or were bought at different times, then even with them appearing healthy they can still be carrying something that could affect the fish in the other tank. It's not really any different to introducing a new fish - in quarentine we deal with the more common problems like fluke and ich even when there are no symptoms in the hope that we'll nuke them even if they're there and not making the fish sick, and then we have an observation period to spot things we don't treat for, like anchor worm and fish lice which require different medication or manual removal, but there are many pathogens which can still lie dormant. The longer you've had all the fish and given them the all-clear the more likely you won't encounter health issues from doing so but there may be behavioural issues - some goldfish like to have a pecking order, one of the non-original-resident fish may want to be 'Top Fish' and become a bully to do so, one may get a taste for eyeballs, but these can happen at any time even in an established tank. Just keep an eye out like you normally would really, and as Shelly said, check the water system is the same particularly if you use buffers or similar :)