Advice please!

RyukinFan

Feed both, then stop egg yolk after 7 days but keep it handy just in case you get a bad brine shrimp hatch. Do not let your fry go on empty stomach.

Feed both, then stop egg yolk after 7 days but keep it handy just in case you get a bad brine shrimp hatch. Do not let your fry go on empty stomach.

Ok, thanks. I can just about make up their stomachs right now, looking quite full!

Go VERY easy on the egg yolk, and make sure you clean up REALLY well afterwards. It's horribly messy, and will fuzz up your tank in a hurry if left unchecked. Also, if you have any decorations, plastic plants, whatever, make sure you give it a quick rinse after feeding with egg or remove them all together, again it will get "fuzzy". Ask me how I know =P

I'd stick with the brine shrimp as best you can. If I were you I'd run two batches of brine shrimp, a day apart, that way as one batch goes "bad" the other batch will just be hatching =)

When I hatched brine shrimp last year they all lived for nearly a week. That is with pickling salt, in a 1.5g tank and an air stone. I wonder why others here said they last only a few hours? I am trying to hatch some again now but am wondering if they are still good after a year. I thought they would be fine as I read how supposedly the ancient egyptians had them in thier tombs and they were still viable, but then I read on a forum that they don't last long unless you store them a specific way. I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Edited by Smurfishy

When I hatched brine shrimp last year they all lived for nearly a week. That is with pickling salt, in a 1.5g tank and an air stone. I wonder why others here said they last only a few hours? I am trying to hatch some again now but am wondering if they are still good after a year. I thought they would be fine as I read how supposedly the ancient egyptians had them in thier tombs and they were still viable, but then I read on a forum that they don't last long unless you store them a specific way. I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

I guessed that when people say they live a few hours I think that's once they're put in the water with the fry at a lower salt concentration. I've seen my brine shrimp lasting round 5 days, so I have to on the go, I refill the bottes every 3 days.

I think I heard somewhere that they should be alright as all the moisture is sucked out of them, so long as they're stored away from damp, not 100% sure about 80% this is the case, mine wouldn't last that long, they're decapsulated.