Sign in to follow this  
meatisadelicacy

I found babies.

I got my brine shrimp eggs from either amazon or ebay. I believe it was amazon, it was maybe $6 with shipping, barely used it. Another easy as pie thing to do is once its a lil older, you can feed em mosquito larva. All you need is standing water and let nature take its course.

Oh, great. thanks. I will go buy some online right now. Hopefully the Hikari is good until I can get them.

I have almost week old fry... I don't think they like the hikari bites, they don't seem to be going after em. I have some brine shrimp eggs to hatch hopefully tomorrow. I just learned that they might not be good anymore after a year, here is hoping. Its illegal in some states to raise mosquito larva. My fry absolutly loved it though, I just think the larva would be too big for the fry for atleast the first month, but I'm no authority, I would research it. I think as long as you are using most up before they hatch you can do this ethically. I had a 5 gallon bucket that I had pond plants in, this helped out to mask the fact that I was raising mosquito larva, I harvested it everyday a few times a day by waiting for a bunch to be at the top then dipping a plastic bowl in. I also let the big guys eat em once in a while too.

I have almost week old fry... I don't think they like the hikari bites, they don't seem to be going after em. I have some brine shrimp eggs to hatch hopefully tomorrow. I just learned that they might not be good anymore after a year, here is hoping. Its illegal in some states to raise mosquito larva. My fry absolutly loved it though, I just think the larva would be too big for the fry for atleast the first month, but I'm no authority, I would research it. I think as long as you are using most up before they hatch you can do this ethically. I had a 5 gallon bucket that I had pond plants in, this helped out to mask the fact that I was raising mosquito larva, I harvested it everyday a few times a day by waiting for a bunch to be at the top then dipping a plastic bowl in. I also let the big guys eat em once in a while too.

OH! Mosquito larva. That's crazy that they're is even a law about that. If only we could just outlaw mosquitoes...

I have been compulsively checking on the little guy and tonight it actually seemed like he was swimming to the top near the food, so the First Bites seem to be doing the job. And also the algae on the rock. Okay, thanks for the legal advice. Now I must go look into this all.

Pictures of Mom and Dad! I'm pretty sure the baby has no dorsal fin, so she/he seems to be taking after Dad.

tumblr_m4nv2ncpr81rnbgo9o2_r1_400.pngtumblr_m4nv2ncpr81rnbgo9o1_250.jpg

I'm glad it is still with ya. I had 18 and for some reason it widdled its way down to 5 within a week.

ohh! pretty parents! I love that Kirin Ranchu. If he goes missing from your tank it wasnt me =3

I'm glad it is still with ya. I had 18 and for some reason it widdled its way down to 5 within a week.

Thanks! I'm sorry to hear about yours though. Of the 3 I had, there is just one left and I'm quite attached.

ohh! pretty parents! I love that Kirin Ranchu. If he goes missing from your tank it wasnt me =3

But I love my Miranda Priestly! :wub: I got him from goldfishnet.com, and they seem to have kirins pretty often.

Whoa what gorgeous looking parents! Hope the little guy makes it! Raising fry is soooo fun!

Whoa what gorgeous looking parents! Hope the little guy makes it! Raising fry is soooo fun!

Thanks so much! I'm keeping my fingers crossed nothing happens to the little one.

Taken today, so the little baby we've been calling Rosie (after the Riveter) is about 3 weeks old, give or take a day.

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

Can't wait to see her grow!

woooah! So tiny! Can't wait to see her get bigger! What a unique little baby =3

Can't wait to see her grow!

Thanks! Me too. I'm very excited.

woooah! So tiny! Can't wait to see her get bigger! What a unique little baby =3

I want to feed this little one miracle grow.

i love the parents and the babies so cute

i love the parents and the babies so cute

Thanks! I think my fish are very good looking, but I'm just biased. :teehee

Welp, I am sad to report that this morning my little baby Rosie was dead. She hadn't been acting quite right the last 2 days or so, but I hoped I was just being dramatic. Last night she still wasn't doing well and when I checked first thing in the morning, there was no movement. Sigh. Thanks to everyone who read and helped me out with this.

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful little fry. These things just happen sometimes, and you know you did your best taking care of her. =/

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful little fry. These things just happen sometimes, and you know you did your best taking care of her. =/

Thanks. I appreciate it. I sort of thought it might happen, because I know people who have a lot more fry end up losing some too. I only had 3 to begin with, and only one made it longer than a week.