I found babies.

Twice someone in my tank has spawned. I haven't seen it happen, but I've seen about a dozen or so eggs just laying around that didn't get eaten (none that I saw were fertilized). Welp, tonight I wen't to turn off the light and what do I see? Two little baby fish just jutting around like they own the place. They survived the bubbler, the filter, and the 6 adult goldies in the tank. The funny thing is I already have a home for 2 goldfish, just in case this happened, but I didn't actually think it would. Does anyone have any advice? I'm going to go try to find Hikari First Bites tomorrow. Beyond that, I don't know what to do.

Oh and I am guessing the mother is my pearlscale, but it could be one of my 4 ranchus or my mutant black moor. I suspect my kirin ranchu, Miranda Priestly, is the father.

That must be exciting :D Good luck, and may we see pics? ^^

Edited by conisaxx

That must be exciting :D Good luck, and may we see pics? ^^

I tried until my battery died to get good pictures of the little turds. I have no idea what I'm doing. Today I'm going to try another camera, but they really just look like tiny flecks of dust they're so small. Tiny flecks of dust with beady eyes...

Congrats!

Thanks! I'm really nervous I'm going to kill them. There was an accident in biology in hs with some tadpoles I've never recovered from.

Congrats!! How sweet! I know that Oerba Yun Fang and Happysnapper have experience with goldfish fry so maybe if they don't see this you could ask them? (I know there are many other people here who know about goldie babehs but those were the first two to come to mind lol)

Good luck to you :)

Had to LOL at Miranda Prestley being the father, but anyway congrats on the fry! They've definitely proved that their tough little guys surviving your main tank.

Very worthy of being Miranda's progeny if you ask me! :D

Had to LOL at Miranda Prestley being the father, but anyway congrats on the fry! They've definitely proved that their tough little guys surviving your main tank.

Very worthy of being Miranda's progeny if you ask me! :D

He totally has the attitude. I suspected he was male and named him that anyway. It's perf. No one else knew who MIranda Priestly was so your comment made my day.

Congrats on the babies. If not sure of what to feed them ask. I found that they love eating algae from the glass so don't clean it if you have any.

here are my babies until 2 weeks ago

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74021057@N03/sets/72157629685762509

All you need is a small tupperware container for the first say 3-5 weeks.The reason for this is because they will need dialy water testing and nearly 100% water changes, and if its only a little bit of water this will be easy to do. As easy as it can be done with a bulb syringe medicine dropper. They won't be able to handle a filter until they are atleast a month which is why they need the daily water changes. When they are ready for a filter a small one will do the intake needs to be covered with a material to keep from sucking up the fry. Then I would keep them in a small tank for a few months. When they get a lil older you can put them in a breeding net box, but you must be careful as they can get crushed inbetween the net and plastic frame when moved or doing water changes. Once they are old enough for the net though it is such a relief as the tediousness of daily changes is gone.

Brine shrimp need to be fed to the fry every 4 hours or so during the day time for the next few weeks. They won't need to be fed for the first 3 days of life as they get all nutrition from their sack. You will need marine salt or pickling salt (much cheaper) for hatching the shrimp. You will need a separate container to hatch them to feed to the fry. I would not get baby fish flake food or use anything other than live food unless completly necessary, as in you ran out of brine shrimp or it hadn't reached your door yet. It mucks up the water real bad and causes bad water toxicity. Live food is the way to go as they will likely stay alive until eaten, where as dead foods will start to decay and break down immediatly in the water. Siphoning out toxic water twice a day due to deteriorating water quality while making sure not to suck up your baby goldies is no fun!

Go here for a day by day fry diary:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/41521-a-diary-of-raising-fry-w-photos/

Edited by Smurfishy

Congrats! I couldn't hatch brine shrimp fast enough to feed them every four hours. At that size I fed mine one live feeding a day and a couple first bites feedings.

They should be in less than 6 inches of water for a few weeks. I used a sponge filter till they were about a month old.

Tapataljk makes mre tipe badd

Congrats on the babies. They are indeed lucky to have survived the filter and their tank mates.

Congrats on the babies. If not sure of what to feed them ask. I found that they love eating algae from the glass so don't clean it if you have any.

here are my babies until 2 weeks ago

http://www.flickr.co...157629685762509

I put a rock from the main tank in their tupperware container and got some Hikari First Bites so hopefully that will work.

Your babies are adorable!

Congrats on the babies. They are indeed lucky to have survived the filter and their tank mates.

Thanks! I wonder how many hatched and became someone's lunch. Oops...

All you need is a small tupperware container for the first say 3-5 weeks.The reason for this is because they will need dialy water testing and nearly 100% water changes, and if its only a little bit of water this will be easy to do. As easy as it can be done with a bulb syringe medicine dropper. They won't be able to handle a filter until they are atleast a month which is why they need the daily water changes. When they are ready for a filter a small one will do the intake needs to be covered with a material to keep from sucking up the fry. Then I would keep them in a small tank for a few months. When they get a lil older you can put them in a breeding net box, but you must be careful as they can get crushed inbetween the net and plastic frame when moved or doing water changes. Once they are old enough for the net though it is such a relief as the tediousness of daily changes is gone.

Brine shrimp need to be fed to the fry every 4 hours or so during the day time for the next few weeks. They won't need to be fed for the first 3 days of life as they get all nutrition from their sack. You will need marine salt or pickling salt (much cheaper) for hatching the shrimp. You will need a separate container to hatch them to feed to the fry. I would not get baby fish flake food or use anything other than live food unless completly necessary, as in you ran out of brine shrimp or it hadn't reached your door yet. It mucks up the water real bad and causes bad water toxicity. Live food is the way to go as they will likely stay alive until eaten, where as dead foods will start to decay and break down immediatly in the water. Siphoning out toxic water twice a day due to deteriorating water quality while making sure not to suck up your baby goldies is no fun!

Go here for a day by day fry diary:

http://www.kokosgold...g-fry-w-photos/

Oh boy. This is going to be complicated. Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

Congrats! I couldn't hatch brine shrimp fast enough to feed them every four hours. At that size I fed mine one live feeding a day and a couple first bites feedings.

They should be in less than 6 inches of water for a few weeks. I used a sponge filter till they were about a month old.

Tapataljk makes mre tipe badd

I don't understand what you mean by this, if memory serves, all I did was dip my finger in the brine shrimp egg container, and then dip it in the container I was using to hatch them in and swirled my finger around. This was enough to make hundreds. I had nearly 25 babies, they would exaust thier supply in a few days, when I saw that there was only enough brine shrimp to last a day I would repeat the process. Simple as pie. In meats case, with only 2 fry,I would not want to use a whole finger as that would be too many and it is best to have only 1-3 day old shrimp to feed the fry for the first week or two.

Meat, how goes it? I'm suprised none of the more seasoned fry raisers havent commented.

Oh hi! Well, less than 24 hours after I found them, one was dead. I don't know why, but it just seemed to be bent in half almost. And I didn't do anything, I swear. The lone survivor is doing well. I got HIkari First Bites since I couldn't find brine shrimp eggs and so far so good. Thanks for asking!

Edited by meatisadelicacy

In the future have in mind... it's good to have a sponge filter working (to produce friendly bacteria) as the sponge filter is not strong enough to harm the fish babies plus it is good if you can lower the flow of the airpump there either from the airpump (if it has a flow controller) or buy a flow controller. For my babies (only 2 out of 10-15 hatched in March 2012) it was perfect.

Plus having a plant (also plant was treated alone in a jar for 3 days with strong medications,to remove possible parasites, and then washed and left in new tab water for a day and then was added to the parents tank and when babies were born it was added to the baby fry bowl.

So i had the sponge filter, the Anubia plant and the spawning mop (that had the eggs that weren't eaten stuck on the wool). I cut a leaf and left it alone to start decompose after the babies hatched and i saw them eat algae from the plant and walls and after a few days eating from the leaf i cut. If you have too many babies you should be worried about water quality. I had two babies in a 6L plastic container and after a month moved them to a 15L tank. Even for food you can smash a few fish food flakes into tiny bits. I also bought some frozen brine shrimp to give them something that is good quality. Forgot to mention that i also bought the FIRST BITES food and it was useful but i saw that it made the water very dirty and had to remove 1/5 of the water every day. The less babies you have the easier it will be to keep them healthy.

So you haven't told us how your 1 baby are doing?

Edited by Spyromon

In the future have in mind... it's good to have a sponge filter working (to produce friendly bacteria) as the sponge filter is not strong enough to harm the fish babies plus it is good if you can lower the flow of the airpump there either from the airpump (if it has a flow controller) or buy a flow controller. For my babies (only 2 out of 10-15 hatched in March 2012) it was perfect.

Plus having a plant (also plant was treated alone in a jar for 3 days with strong medications,to remove possible parasites, and then washed and left in new tab water for a day and then was added to the parents tank and when babies were born it was added to the baby fry bowl.

So i had the sponge filter, the Anubia plant and the spawning mop (that had the eggs that weren't eaten stuck on the wool). I cut a leaf and left it alone to start decompose after the babies hatched and i saw them eat algae from the plant and walls and after a few days eating from the leaf i cut. If you have too many babies you should be worried about water quality. I had two babies in a 6L plastic container and after a month moved them to a 15L tank. Even for food you can smash a few fish food flakes into tiny bits. I also bought some frozen brine shrimp to give them something that is good quality. Forgot to mention that i also bought the FIRST BITES food and it was useful but i saw that it made the water very dirty and had to remove 1/5 of the water every day. The less babies you have the easier it will be to keep them healthy.

So you haven't told us how your 1 baby are doing?

I have a sponge filter that I am not using right now so tonight I will get it going. I do have a rock with algae on it in the tank, but I haven't seen the fish baby do much of anything except dart around occasionally. This morning when I checked on him or her, I looked sideways at it instead of just a top view and it totally gave my warm fuzzies. Are there pictures of your fry anywhere? I'd love to see.

I got my brine shrimp eggs from either amazon or ebay. I believe it was amazon, it was maybe $6 with shipping, barely used it. Another easy as pie thing to do is once its a lil older, you can feed em mosquito larva. All you need is standing water and let nature take its course.