Sign in to follow this  
Evening

Zucchini!

I just got back from a trip to my mom's place down in Wylie, and along the way I picked up an Aquaclear 30 to supplement my goldy tank, and half a raw zucchini from a family barbecue. Wrapped securely in a ziplock bag I bundled it back home and immediately sliced it, boiled it in the microwave, and tossed it into my goldfish and tropical tanks.

It was a hit! Goldfish and pleco alike set up on it immediately and with appetite. In only two minutes of boiling it was soft enough for goldfish to take big mouthfuls of, and even the corydoras could easily pick it apart. The goldies had eaten theirs in only ten minutes, and the pleco in my tropical, aided by his cory friends, polished his off in only six hours.

Now I understand why people swear by this!

LOL. And then there are cucumbers, squash, and various other veggies. As long as you blanch it well enough, they will enjoy these veggies immensely, and it will be good for them.

The only veggie on the no list is broccoli, I believe.

Mine have no real problems with broccoli. I've heard it can make fish floaty, but mine seem to have little problem with that issue, and broccoli is something we have in great supply, so I figure they appreciate the variety. So long as I space it out I think it'll be fine.

The only veggie on the no list is broccoli, I believe.

Yup it gives them Gas

1087278-fart_large.jpg

I've never seen such a large variety of fish go for one vegetable with such gusto though. I wonder if they were just really hungry, or if something about it just smelled right to them.

So what kind of nutrition do they get out of it anyway?

hello,zucchini and seaweed sheets seem to be my goldfish's favorite, carrots not at all..peas yep..green beans ans orange slice..brocoli sometimes they eats others just some nibble at..crazy for frozen bloodworms and the spirulina brine shrimp..hikari pellets in purple bag..I have the freeze dried bloodworms and they don't seem too intersted in them the only thing I have had to scoop out of tank along with the cooked carrot.

Nothing much seems to go for freeze dried blood worms. I suppose you could mix it into gel food, but for feeding directly it seems totally useless. Even my tetras didn't want any.

Yep, try frozen blood worms :) they are better for your fish and I'd imagine more appetizing than freeze dried ;)

They love the frozen ones. I just gave them a couple cubes today. Brightens them right up.

My fish love mangos as well as the above mentioned foods. :) I love mangos.

we live about 2 hours away from Dr. Foster and Smith retail store so was lucky to buy the frozen bloodworms and spirula brine shrimp which the goldies and angel fish love..went and ordered the med gold so will have if anything comes up in the future with the goldfish. I do have a red cap in quarantine now he just looks hazy his tail fin look like a bacterial thing going on ..but eating ok..

we live about 2 hours away from Dr. Foster and Smith retail store so was lucky to buy the frozen bloodworms and spirula brine shrimp which the goldies and angel fish love..went and ordered the med gold so will have if anything comes up in the future with the goldfish. I do have a red cap in quarantine now he just looks hazy his tail fin look like a bacterial thing going on ..but eating ok..

If you can, get the metro-meds. That one is more useful compared to medi-gold :)

It was a hit! Goldfish and pleco alike set up on it immediately and with appetite. In only two minutes of boiling it was soft enough for goldfish to take big mouthfuls of, and even the corydoras could easily pick it apart.

Hi, How big of chunks do you give your goldfish? Do you let it float as a large chunk and they eat it that way or do you put it on a clip? or ?

It was a hit! Goldfish and pleco alike set up on it immediately and with appetite. In only two minutes of boiling it was soft enough for goldfish to take big mouthfuls of, and even the corydoras could easily pick it apart.

Hi, How big of chunks do you give your goldfish? Do you let it float as a large chunk and they eat it that way or do you put it on a clip? or ?

For zucchini I cut a thin slice of it, make sure it is cooked well and is soft, then place it on a veggie clip. Alternatively you could always break the cooked slice into small bite sized chunks for the goldies if you don't have a veggie clip. If you wanted to entertain/frustrate them for a couple hours you could throw the whole slice in without the veggie clip :P they will have a more difficult time actually eating it this way, but it will provide them with a challenge ;)

My fish love zucchini! They go crazy for it!

For zucchini I cut a thin slice of it, make sure it is cooked well and is soft, then place it on a veggie clip. Alternatively you could always break the cooked slice into small bite sized chunks for the goldies if you don't have a veggie clip. If you wanted to entertain/frustrate them for a couple hours you could throw the whole slice in without the veggie clip :P they will have a more difficult time actually eating it this way, but it will provide them with a challenge ;)

I saw that video you had with your fancy eating a slice of zucchini on a clip and I was really impressed and thought I would try it. I didn't know you need to cook it though and couldn't figure out why mine just kept poking at it :D

lol. Yeah, it needs to be soft enough/thin enough for them to bite some off. I usually microwave mine in a small amount of tank water for about a minute or so (until the water is boiling). It should feel soft and floppy ;)

Since I boil my veggies, I rarely need to use a clip. They sink just fine and the fish have no real trouble with them. I usually cut about half-inch slices, and put in two at a time. What the goldies don't eat, the pleco gladly gobbles up.