Sign in to follow this  
Charms

Best all around dry pellet?

I'm currently feeding Hikari betta pellets. I've tried to get the New Life Spectrum but my lfs tells me they can't order it right now as they are probably gonna stop making it.. So I'm now on the hunt for a new pellet food. I've been happy w/ the hikari but there was some chatter a few months ago that the formula has changed and isn't as good now. I give the bettas a tiny pea piece once a week and they get frozen thawed bloodworms and shrimp at least once a week; sometimes twice. The lfs carries hikari, atisons (which I've never seen before) and some other common brands seen everywhere.

Suggestions? Thank you!!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I know that Attisons and NLS are the preferred brands amongst betta keepers, because as you say, apparently Hikari isn't very good anymore since they changed the recipe a couple years back. since it's a pain getting these US brands, I use one called Sayuri, which my betta does eat (although he loves bloodworms more!). I didn't know NLS were planning on stopping making the betta pellets...? I've just done a brief google search and couldn't find anything on the subject - sounds more like your LFS are being lazy. :/ could you not order the NLS online, if your LFS stop carrying it?

Jump on the atison's food. It is really hard to get sometimes. I am starting up my breeding again and I cannot find it anywhere. So I am settling for the NLS.

Is the Atison's best for breeding then? Does it matter? Cause I've only got 4 boys. Lol.

I also couldn't find anything online about the NLS not being available anymore. I'm going to call the lfs again tomorrow and ask about it. If not then I'm sure I could find it online. I always prefer to support my little fav local stores first.

well for breeding really you just want to up the protein so you would be feeding the frozen bloodworms and shrimps more often eg. twice a day. I don't think it matters what their base diet is, as long as it is supplemented a lot with protein to condition them for the turbulent matings. if you're not planning on breeding then just feeding the Atisons or NLS most of the time with the frozen stuff once or twice a week as you are doing is fine.

Sweet! Thanks for the info!! I'll be stopping by to grab the Atison's tomorrow then. I'll most likely switch them to it immediately. I've had the Hikari for awhile anyways.. Time for something new!!

Its not just for breeding, it is just the highest quality prepared betta food. So snap it up :D

Jump on the atison's food. It is really hard to get sometimes. I am starting up my breeding again and I cannot find it anywhere. So I am settling for the NLS.

Amazon has EVERYTHING :rofl :rofl :rofl

http://www.amazon.com/ATTISONS-BETTA-FOOD-75-GRAM/dp/B000YIYTH8

Disclaimer: the link above was not brought to you by Amazon, or any Amazon affiliates. :rofl

Amazon has EVERYTHING :rofl :rofl :rofl

http://www.amazon.co...M/dp/B000YIYTH8

Disclaimer: the link above was not brought to you by Amazon, or any Amazon affiliates. :rofl

That isn't the one I am looking for though :( I am looking for the one for 3 months and up. But you should get it.

Edited by ashlee18

I'll have to see what kind the lfs has. I only saw 1 kind and just read the brand not the formula it was in a tiny bottle compared to the one in the link. Cause my guys are all older.. Like over a year. We've had Ruby Rodd for 2yrs now. He's starting to slow down a bit and has lost some of his color lately.

Can this food be too high protein? I've just had a liver scare w/ my toy breed as we've learned high protein causes liver issues in toy breeds... So thankfully its all been all food related but I'm not gonna be taking the betta's to the fishie doctor. Lol

Edited by Charms

Blue top = adult bettas

Pink top = breeding bettas or older fry

Green top = fry

So the blue top would be best for you :)

Blue top = adult bettas

Pink top = breeding bettas or older fry

Green top = fry

So the blue top would be best for you

Well that certainly makes it easier.. I ended up getting OmegaOne Betta Pellets. The fish store lady recommended it. Said she prefers it for the main staple diet, that its higher protein too. So we'll see how they do on it

On a side note - I think I'm a betta hoarder. I currently have 4... And they had a dumbo there today!! OMG!! I want him. But have nowhere for him so I left w/ out him. But I still WANT him. Lol

Go get him!!! I went from 0 to 3 in one night lol

Ashley!! Stop it!! Lol

Unfortunately I have to be responsible... I am at max capacity right now.. I have 2 in small planted tanks, 1 in a 10g planted - we call that one the amazon jungle tank, and one is in a big 2g turtle kinda bowl cause his tank was really old.. So until he gt back into an established tank I feel like it wouldn't be fair to them. :wub:

But... I still WANT him.. Lol

d03655b6-ee7b-849c.jpg

Look at those ears... ;-*

This place is awesome w/ their betta selection. Besides the dumbo they also had a mustard gas (WHAT!) and a black crowntail. There were a few others but those were the memorable ones!! All great quality and very fiesty!! The way we love them!!

OMG! Sorry for hundreds of posts... I'm feeling like brain is jumping all over the place today...

I did ask them about the NLS and she said that their distributor told hem that the company isn't going to be making it anymore and that they even checked the booth when they were at the big expo a few months ago and were told pretty much the same thing. Its currently not available as they might atop making it.. Whatever. Hopefully my fancy finned kids like the OmegaOne.