Bloody fins on Pearlscale

ypdmd

Great. No water changes today. You will want to check daily, and if the parameters are close to zero, then do nothing. If it is near 0.5, then post and let me know. :)

ammonia 0, nitrites, 0

looks like less blood in the ventral fins - the distal portion still has "islands" of blood but the proximal portion seems to be clearing.

I will try to post pics tonight.

BTW I clicked to "follow" this topic, but haven't gotten any email updates.

Awesome! No water change today, either :)

Keep track with me though, how many days it has been since adding Prazi, though, OK? You will absolutely need to do a huge WC on Saturday, even if parameters are OK so that we can remove dead flukes, eggs, and inactivated Prazi.

As for the notification issue, start a thread here

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/forum/45-forum-functions-and-how-to/

Koko will help you :)

Good work! :)

Ok, 100% WC saturday, then add back prazi or leave him alone for a while?

Friday marks 2 weeks on the metro meds, so should I stop that too?

On Saturday, do your WC and then:

- DO NOT add back Prazi. We will let him have two days off Prazi.

- add back salt to 0.1%

Continue Metro-Meds. I would like to continue the MMs until the end of the next round of Prazi, which will be in a week.

:exactly

On Monday, you'll want to add salt back as well.

Remember to check your parameters. It's really annoying to have to do it so often, but once you've determined that your cycle has stabilized, then you are all set :)

Blood is completely gone from fins (huge improvement over the weekend, after the first WC)

except for a few dark areas, but nothiing bright red.

I did the 2 water changes and started the next cycle of prazi pro.

Is there any reason to continue treatements after the end of this cycle?

I've seen posts recommening 4-5 cylces of prazi.

Why?

Woot!

There is every reason to continue the treatment to at least 4 cycles. The reason is that the treatment is the correct one, as evidenced by the fish getting better. As for why we have to do so many cycles, it's because flukes are extremely hard to get rid of. You have gotten rid of most of them with the treatments so far, but you need to continue to try to completely get rid of them, or they will come back.

It's the same reason why we you are sick and have to take antibiotics. Even though your symptoms may be gone after a few days, some of the bugs in th infection are still there, so you have to finish the course of medication. :)

• 2 weeks later...

moved back to main tank today - only concern is black tip on dorsal and small black at base of caudal fins.

ammonia, nitrite, nitrates 0

IMG_1058.JPG

Very strange - black areas are spreading after return to main tank.

entire dorsal, stripe on caudal and some spots at the back of the head - could this just be a color change? seems the wrong direction.

IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

Top half of his body is now almost all black - my daughter asked if there is anything we can do to keep him this way, because it looks cool. ;)

Haha. Unfortunately no. The blackening response is a protective response against chemcal irritants by the fish by mobilizing its melanophores. By the time you see black, the irritations have healed, and the black can persist for weeks, perhaps longer. It will go away eventually, though.