Bloody fins on Pearlscale

ypdmd

* Ammonia Level 0

* Nitrite Level 0

* Nitrate level 5

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

* Water temperature? 68

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 110 - 6+months

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2xAC110

* How often do you change the water and how much? 50% weekly

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days 50%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 7, range from 1.5 inch to 3 inch.

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime with changes

* What do you feed your fish and how often? omega 1 2xday, just ran out of hikari lionhead

* Any new fish added to the tank? 1

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Bloody streaks on fins and body of the pearlscale PomPom - noticed 2 days ago.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

I recently noticed bloody streaks on one pecotral fin and 2 caudal fins of my pearlscale PomPom. Noticed from pics that some red on body too. Any ideas?

videos and pics here https://picasaweb.google.com/113191344967970993106/Pearlscale?authuser=0&feat=directlink

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0834.JPG

This image shows the red streaks on the the body to, and at the base of the right pectoral fin.

IMG_0836.JPG

Thanks for your help!

When did you add the new fish? Did you qt w/ salt and prazi before adding it?

New fish was added about 3-4 weeks ago. Was in salt and prazi for 2 weeks prior in qt.

• Supporter

overall, the fish looks good. as well as the water params. so i am thinking there may be some bacteria to the individual happening internally. would you be able to use a colander or breeding basket to isolate this fish during feeding time? i am thinking to start a course of antibiotics but just to this fish.

Hello,

Given the extent of the blood in all the fins, I think he/she is brewing a pretty serious internal infection. I would like to suggest re-QTing, treat with Prazi and Metro-Meds. I remember you had bought this, but never needed to use. Is this correct?

Stakos' suggestion would work as well. :)

Edited by dnalex

The other fish look good, no signs of streaking. I think it would be tough to grab him in a colander every time I feed them. Might be traumatic for him too. I do have metro-meds. I will start cycling the qt tank (I'll add water and a filter from another tank) and put him in there.

BTW, this is not the new fish. This fish has been in the tank for about 6 months.

Edited by ypdmd

• Supporter

BTW, this is not the new fish. This fish has been in the tank for about 6 months.

new fish may have brought something into the tank that the pearlscale only is sensitive too. you just never know. but the symptoms scream internal bacteria to the best of my knowledge.

Do you have a plastic colander that can float? If you do, you can just leave the fish in there. The colandar will sink to the rim so the fish will be in water, and then you can feed him separately--or you can QT him outside your main tank, of course. I hope treatment helps him--I don't think I'd delay getting started with the MMs with those fins as bloody as they are.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Been on MetroMeds for 1+ week. (since last Friday) No real improvement in the fins, maybe some of the red on the belly cleared up. The left pectoral, which had been clear, is now bloody as well, but the dorsal seems to be clearing up. Fish is active and eats well - no signs of distress.

Would you update us with a video as well, please? The red in the fins may take a long while to resolve, after the cessation of treatment.

OK. Could you go ahead and do 3 more rounds? Each round should be around 5-7 days, and there should be at least one big WC before administering the next round. If you need help with a more detailed schedule, let me know :)

After about a week, I checked the chemistry in the qt tank - I was getting nitrites between .25 and .5. Obviously the cycle didn't transfer, - I am making nitrites, but not converting them, so I have been doing 50% water changes for the past few days to keep them down.

Should I start another cycle of prazi-pro now or wait for the cycle to stabilize?

Let me clarify, you only have nitrites, but no ammonia, right? If that's the case, that's not so bad, and I can help you with the Prazi treatment. I really think that we need to treat for flukes, since those bloody fins really point a suspicious finger to flukes.

Let me test again tonight when I get home (in about 5 hours), but assuming no Ammonia, anything else I need to do when adding the Prazi Pro?

You will need to do a big water change (90% or more) to get rid of as much ammonia as you can, add salt to 0.1% (this will block nitrite toxicity), and the add Prazi. Then, you monitor ammonia and nitrite daily, and we take this on a day to day basis.