Sign in to follow this  
SynthHermit

Possibly Dumb Decoration Question

So, I was a Petsmart yesterday,hoping to get the large oranda they had (long story short the employee was an idiotic witch,so I didn't get him :c).While I was browsing the backgrounds, my mom was looking at the decorations and pointing out ones that looked cool.Which a lot of them were,aside from the fact that they were hollow(which my mom is finally starting to understand is a bad thing! =D).

Anywho, I somehow got turned around and was looking at the decorations they had for reptile tanks,and couldn't help but notice that they were cheaper than the ones for aquariums, even the ones that were very similar,like the twisted root/log types. The reptile ones also appealed to me a bit more.

What I was wondering is, would these be safe in an aquarium,providing any holes were sealed up??

i'm using a hollow Coconut shell in my tank from the petsmart reptile section....no problems so far

i'm using a hollow Coconut shell in my tank from the petsmart reptile section....no problems so far

Be care of hollow ornaments, as they create areas of stagnance inside the ornament itself. This areas are perfect breeding grounds for pathogenic bacteria.

I think they are talking about 1/2 shell that they us for snake hides

I think they are talking about 1/2 shell that they us for snake hides

Yup that one, i know hallow decorations are dangerous, but to be honest, i tend to move the decoration around every couple of days anyway, so i'm not sure if i'm giving Bacteria enough time to develop

i know for a fact that wood for a reptile terrarium is different than the wood we use in an aquarium. The wood in the "reptile" section of the store is not meant to be "aquatic" but instead meant to be kept in dry conditions (moisture is usually fine) but not meant to be underwater... cocnut shell on the other hand is fine in an aquarium i actually have some moss growing on a coconut shell. anyways... leave the "reptile" wood out of your aquarium.. :)

p.s "reptile" wood will eventually rot, and affect your water conditions and possibly create

further problems.

Edited by Monkey87

Perhaps I should have made myself more clear. The decorations I was looking at weren't actual wood, they were plastic or resign made to look like roots and wood.

Although knowing about the differences in real wood is helpful. :3

if they are synthetic, they should be fine, although there may be a reason in which they are not aquarium specific... maybe something can leech out into the water? i dunno..?? :donthit:

this is the only thing worrie about is *antimicrobial coating for easier cleaning*

"antimicrobial coating for easier cleaning" sounds like a big red flag. :o