Sign in to follow this  
aakane47

Lettuce to daily food?

I'm thinking about putting some type of vegetable into my fish's daily diet. Would it be good if I put tiny bits of lettuce in my can of goldfish flakes and mix it in to put in in their diet? If not what would you recommend?

Veggies are definatly part of a healthy diet for your goldfish.

But, I'd recommand using a veggie clip instead.

Don't forget to make sure all veggies fed are blanched / boiled to make them softer.

You can also feed peas, brocoli, spinach, zucchini, and many more. Hope this helps ...

Edited by conisaxx

whats a veggie clip? Is it like veggie/flake food? Thanks

It's like a clip to close potato chip bags, but it has a suction cup so that you can attach it to the side of the tank.

It will allow your fish to eat pieces of veggies as they wish, and also keep it fresher. I wouldn't let lettuce with flake foods as flakes are dry and lettuce would rot.

Veggie clip: http://www.drsfoster...cfm?pcatid=4446

VeggiClip.jpg

you can find them at any pet store :)

My favorite veggies to feed are romaine, kale, spinach, zucchini, and cucumber :)

My pet store doesnt even have, and the ones I found on ebay are like at least 15$, ridiculous. :krazy:

Edited by conisaxx

It might be, but I never heard of it... I live in the french part of Canada Hehe. Thank you, Ill keep searching (or end up making my own)!

It might be, but I never heard of it... I live in the french part of Canada Hehe. Thank you, Ill keep searching (or end up making my own)!

you can order online from them :) I just thought of it because I know a couple of our canadian members often refer to it :)

I feed lettuce about once a week, and I don't really bother with a veggie clip. Just blanch properly and try to get a good bit of the leaf's rib with the tender outer parts the goldies love. I have a BN pleco as well, so even the ribs eventually get eaten.

if you cant get a veggie clip (I struggled to find one in the UK) you can use a sucker for your air hose line it has rounded edges (so it shouldn't harm your fish), i just push the food onto it so the round clip part goes through the food. like this one (mine, velvet is just wondering where his cucumber went)

feedmem.jpg

edit,

just thinking the round clip can be pulled out so if you have fully grown fancy goldfish i wouldn't recommend this as they may be strong enough to dislodge the round clip and accidently swallow ii.

Edited by dodge245

So I'd boil a cucumber or something, clip it on and leave it there? Or would I have to take it out at some point. Also what vegetable do you most recommend?

Well firstly, you definitely should slice the cucumber first! XD

If you leave it in a while and the goldfish recognize it as food, you probably won't have much to take out.

A variety of vegetables is best. Cucumbers are good, as are garden peas (squeezed out of their little shells), zuchini, romaine or green leaf lettuce, potatoes, etc. There's a big list on the main site.

Well firstly, you definitely should slice the cucumber first! XD

If you leave it in a while and the goldfish recognize it as food, you probably won't have much to take out.

A variety of vegetables is best. Cucumbers are good, as are garden peas (squeezed out of their little shells), zuchini, romaine or green leaf lettuce, potatoes, etc. There's a big list on the main site.

Alright Thanks,do you know how to treat ich? could you help me out on my other thread. My oranda just got ich.

Ah, I'm no expert! I'm sure someone could help you better; but what I do is remove carbon from the filter, add a little aquarium salt and ich medication as the directions specify, and hope for the best.

If you blanch the cucumber it should sink. I don't use the veggie clip for veggies that sink My goldies just chase them around the tank

Ah, I'm no expert! I'm sure someone could help you better; but what I do is remove carbon from the filter, add a little aquarium salt and ich medication as the directions specify, and hope for the best.

Just a reminder, we should not provide treatment advice without having all the information on a person's setup and water parameters. Some medications can be dangerous or even ineffective if water parameters are off. In this situation it is best to direct the person to the diagnosis section of the forum :thumb:

EDIT: for future reference, ich is best treated without harsh medications :) in most cases, it can be treated successfully with salt alone.

Edited by tithra

So I'd boil a cucumber or something, clip it on and leave it there? Or would I have to take it out at some point. Also what vegetable do you most recommend?

You can leave veggies in there for 24-48 hours, then remove anything that has not been eaten. It may take your fish awhile to figure out that veggies are food :) Don't give up!

Getting parameters either tomorrow or Saturday, will my fish be ok on Saturday? Also should I do like a big water change or something?

Petco has veggie clips, they look like clownfish. I just got one today for $5.49 + tax.

Regarding veggies I got some good tips on this site but I take a slice of zucchini or squash boil it in a small amount of tank water for 2 minutes (or water without chlorine) then I slice up tiny little pieces without the skin or seeds and keep it in my fridge in a baggie. Twice a day I drop little pieces into the water before I feed them their flakes/pellets and they go right after them. I found the clip made my water dirty with the veggie hanging on there and kind of disintegrating in the water. It took my new oranda only a couple times to figure out they were food and they seem to like those. You can also take a piece of romaine, stick it in the freezer for 15-30 minutes, it will make the membranes soft enough for the GF to eat. I got that tip off of the veggie clip package. I just tear those into tiny little pieces too and do the same with them.

That's a pretty neat idea. But I generally prefer to leave veggies whole to give my fish something to do. I think it's okay for them to struggle a bit when it comes to eating; simulates nature a bit better, gives them some exercise, and it takes them longer to eat, letting them graze for hours instead of gobbling it all up at once.