I bought some gravel from my local aquarium store and i cleaned it a lot over 2 days as it was making the water very yellow but finally it seemed like it was clean so i put it in my tank and i woke up this morning to a yellow tank water and i dont know what to do. I thaught about going back to the store and asking them about it but i am unable to at the moment so i was wondering if anyone knows what is happening and how i can solve this problem?

Is it from a bag? What color is the gravel?

what kind gravel it is pics will help

mail.jpgThis is a picture of the gravel out of water and the pen is to show the size. Thank you for your help. Edited by NewBeginnings

Swimming Fry, By the way the fish in your dp is so gorgeous and so is Prof. Chaos :'( RIP

Edited by NewBeginnings

mail.jpgThis is a picture of the gravel out of water and the pen is to show the size. Thank you for your help.

If you dont mind. Where did you buy it from.

It shouldnt change the water color after a well good rinsing. :(

eek. I might look into getting some different gravel. Does it look painted? Sometimes colored gravel will be kind of painted/coated with color that chips off over time, I would avoid this kind of gravel.

Oh no :( it did look like there were paint chips when i emptied the bag to clean it. Feeling like a noob who has been conned .

I got it from an aquarium shop in Australia Called 'Vebas' (http://www.vebas.com.au/)

Im so annoyed coz i got a big bag of it and it was $50!!!!! :'( I don't think they will refund either, these days people can find a way to blame you ( like the story of the person robbing a house who sued the person who owned the house because the robber got injured on the premises)

I would just bring it back and tell them you have rinsed it multiple times very thoroughly but it still keeps dying you tank water yellow. I don't know how they could argue that! Have you considered going bare-bottom? :)

Hi, Perhaps you could take a sample of the water with you to show the colour of the water? Vebas is normally pretty good to deal with - just give it a try :-) BTW best LFS for Goldies here in Perth is Aquotix (Canningvale) have you had a look? They have goldies in three sizes small / medium / large. They have the single tails and of course fantails, but I've on occasion seen orandas, ryukins, ranchu and pearl scale. They don't have this selection all the time, but still the best variety and the fish look healthy.

:druel Definitely worth a look!

http://www.aquotix.com/

It's certainly worth a try to bring it back :) They might at least give you store credit!

The new ownership seems to have many new employees that i've had negative experiences with. But i will give it a try. I haven't been there before it sounds good and i will certainly give it a try :) i've been to many pet-stores around perth but some how must have missed this one. Thank you all for all your help :).

I thought about going bare but I find it can disorientate the fish and it makes the tank look less organic even tho there is an advantage in cleaning i prefer gravel for a few reasons.

what's wrong with bare? here is a 126 gallon. 3 pants, 4 air features, 8 fish.

c2b5bd39.jpg

Sooo pretty Stakos!! :)

Mine is barebottom as well, and I think it looks fairly natural. It definitely doesn't disorientate my fish but I have the bottom painted with some larger rocks scattered so it doesn't mirror anything at all. I find it extremely easy to keep clean and actually prefer the simple modern look of it. It's all about your personal preference though! :)

FishAquarium1.jpg