Ryunkin Goldfish Tail Problem.

My Ryunkin Goldfish that I just got about 2 weeks ago got its tail bit off when I first got him. 2 weeks ago I had two huge fish, one a goldfish and one a koi fish, that were both bullying him a lot. This was after I had already decided that my 40 gallon tank was too big for the two huge fish. The fish had bit most of the ryunkin goldfish's tail off, so I immediately seperated them. I had no seperate tank so I kept him in a bowl for about 4 days until my two big fish got picked up to go to a pond. I have him back in the tank but while he was in his bowl his tail started to turn black. It has been getting back to its original color but I have some questions.

1. Is the black on his tail ammonia poisoning?

2. Will he be ok if it is ammonia poisoning?

3. Will the tail grow back?

4. If so should I let it grow naturally, or give him some sort thing to speed up the process?

Welcome to the forum :)

Would you mind filling out all of the questions below, just so that we have a better picture of your setup etc.? A picture/video of the tail would also be great if you can get it :)

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

• * Ammonia Level 0
  • * Nitrite Level don't know
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? don't use
  • * Water temperature? 68 degrees F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40, couple of years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? don't know, but it works
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? every month, 30%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days ago, can't remember how much but he wasn't in tank
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 5, 2 inches each
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Some stuff that clears out chemicals in tap water when we change water
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? goldfish food, once daily
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? 3 new ones yesterday
  • * Any medications added to the tank? nope
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? black on injured tail
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? stays at bottom sometimes but seems to be normal

Edited by aakane47

file://localhost/Users/Kane/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Previews/2012/05/08/20120508-152138/IMG_0090.jpgIMG_0090.jpg

You need to upload photos to a hosting site like photobucket for us to be able to see them :) and then link from photobucket to the forum. Here is a link on how to do this: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/76665-how-to-posts-photos/

I did right after you asked me to

Thank you :) I apologize I missed that somehow.

- With 5 fish in a 40 gallon you are a bit overstocked (20 gallons for the first fish and 10 gallons for each fish thereafter is the minimum recommendation for goldfish).

- Changing your water once a month is unfortunately not adequate. Water changes should be weekly 50-80% change at minimum. Even if you do not have ammonia build up in the tank, your nitrates will build up over this amount of time to a dangerous level. Additionally, organic waste will build up over the course of a month, which can cause issues such as fin rot and other bacterial infections.

- The ammonia burns will go away over time with clean water, but you need to keep up on the water changes. It is very difficult to tell the extent of damage to the tail because the pics are very blurry. The tail will grow back eventually over time, but the water needs to be kept very clean.

- I see that you just added 3 fish to the tank. Did you quarantine these fish before adding them to the main tank?

- Do you have a spare quarantine tank with a filter?

- Can you bring a sample of your water to be tested for nitrite/nitrate? (or buy a test kit for these)

EDIT: what test kit are you using to test ammonia?

Edited by tithra

Thanks, that's good that it will heal on its own. I did quarantine the fish before I up them in but basically I got all of my fish within the last week. I will keep up with water changes like you said. I did a 90% water change when my 2 big fish left so it is very clean now. I'm sorry it's overstocked, I did not realize it was until after I bought the fish, but thanks for the info about my fish sounds like he will be getting better. I think he got the poisoning from the bad bowl water. But thanks!

Thanks, that's good that it will heal on its own. I did quarantine the fish before I up them in but basically I got all of my fish within the last week. I will keep up with water changes like you said. I did a 90% water change when my 2 big fish left so it is very clean now. I'm sorry it's overstocked, I did not realize it was until after I bought the fish, but thanks for the info about my fish sounds like he will be getting better. I think he got the poisoning from the bad bowl water. But thanks!

:) It's really important to have a test kit for your nitrite and nitrate as well as the ammonia. It will help you keep an eye on your water quality.

If you are able, I would suggest doing a water change daily to every other day for the next week or two to help with the healing process.

- If you absolutely cannot do this try for at least two big water changes a week. The clean water will help with healing.

- You can also salt the tank to .1% for 1-2 weeks to help ward off infection and promote healing. You need to use either aquarium salt (found at pet store) or you can use salt from the grocery store that contains no additives or anti-caking agents (Morton's canning and pickling salt is a commonly available one). Here is more information on using salt and what type to use: http://www.kokosgold...he-use-of-salt/

.1% = 1 teaspoon per gallon. You will need to add back in the amount of salt you take out with each water change (e.g. if you added 40 tsp of salt originally and do a 50% water change, add back in 20 tsp of salt).

- When adding salt to the tank you need to make sure that your water quality is good, so you absolutely need to keep up on water changes if you choose to use salt.

- After the tank has been salted for 1-2 weeks, you can just remove the salt by doing water changes, but not adding back in the salt you take out. Please let me know if you have any questions about salting.

If his tail at any point begins to rot away (more than it already has) or look red/infected or your fish has a change in behavior (e.g. bottom sitting) please let us know right away so that we can re-assess.

Edited by tithra

Over the past few days the tail has begun to regain its color. I will keep up with the daily water changes. Although I forgot to mention I have a pleco fish in the tank, will the 1 teaspoon of salt hurt him?

If you have another tank (at least 10 gallons) to separate the pleco that would probably be best, you can also use a large plastic storage tub (e.g. sterilite container) if you do not have an extra tank. However, most plecos can tolerate low levels of salt, up to .1% (no higher). If you choose to keep him in the tank I would watch his behavior carefully and take him out or remove salt at any signs of distress.

I am a bit concerned that you have a pleco in the tank. Most plecos are not compatible with goldfish. They have a tendency to suck the slime coat of goldfish at night when the goldfish are resting (and you are not watching). This can injure your fish, leaving them susceptible to infection, and can even kill them. Not to mention the addition of a pleco to the tank makes you even more overstocked than with the 5 goldfish alone unfortunately.

Bristlenose and rubbernose plecos are the two kinds generally considered to be compatible with goldfish. If you would like to post a pic to help us identify what type you have please do :)

For the long term you need to consider how you will appropriately house these fish. For your 5 goldfish alone you really need a minimum of 60-80 gallons. You could either upgrade to a larger tank, or get a second 40 gallon. Large plastic storage tubs with a filter can be used as cheap temporary housing for your fish if you cannot afford a second tank or larger tank right away. You can also consider re-homing a couple fish or taking them back to the pet store if you don't think you will be able to provide adequate housing for them in the long run.

An appropriately stocked tank is so much easier to care for and your fish will be happier and healthier for it :)

If you have another tank (at least 10 gallons) to separate the pleco that would probably be best, you can also use a large plastic storage tub (e.g. sterilite container) if you do not have an extra tank. However, most plecos can tolerate low levels of salt, up to .1% (no higher). If you choose to keep him in the tank I would watch his behavior carefully and take him out or remove salt at any signs of distress.

I am a bit concerned that you have a pleco in the tank. Most plecos are not compatible with goldfish. They have a tendency to suck the slime coat of goldfish at night when the goldfish are resting (and you are not watching). This can injure your fish, leaving them susceptible to infection, and can even kill them. Not to mention the addition of a pleco to the tank makes you even more overstocked than with the 5 goldfish alone unfortunately.

Bristlenose and rubbernose plecos are the two kinds generally considered to be compatible with goldfish. If you would like to post a pic to help us identify what type you have please do :)

For the long term you need to consider how you will appropriately house these fish. For your 5 goldfish alone you really need a minimum of 60-80 gallons. You could either upgrade to a larger tank, or get a second 40 gallon. Large plastic storage tubs with a filter can be used as cheap temporary housing for your fish if you cannot afford a second tank or larger tank right away. You can also consider re-homing a couple fish or taking them back to the pet store if you don't think you will be able to provide adequate housing for them in the long run.

An appropriately stocked tank is so much easier to care for and your fish will be happier and healthier for it :)

I will consider rehoming a couple of my goldfish, and my pleco fish is a common pleco with the leopard skin, I have had him for about 2 years, hes like 5 inches long but he hasn't bothered any of the other goldfish i've had in the past, my goldfish has been healing, and thanks for all the advice

He grew back his pectoral fins or whatever fins are near his butt. He's looking healthy!

Right after feeding

180d0ed9-a3e1-6bb3.jpg

180d0ed9-a406-2c2b.jpg

Hope with dragon

Dragon was dying to be in all of my pics!

180d0ed9-a448-c7ab.jpg

180d0ed9-a473-6d7f.jpg

Here he is right after he was injured