Sign in to follow this  
neeceee2

Rooting plants

I have been rooting some lucky bamboo in the top of my aquarium. Stems in the water and leaves sticking out the top. Have decided to add pathos to this. My Moms house plants are very sickly right now. Our heat went out during the winter and we were forced to use kerosene heaters for about a month. I think the heaters hurt the plants. The bamboo cuttings i took look good. crossing my figures that the pathos will do as well. have a little basket, reusable coffee filter so it is food safe, below the filter spout holding the roots. Has any one else tried this, did it help your tank? Will it be OK to just leave them there once there roots start filling in?

I have used my tanks to root plants before. I would check to makes sure that the plants are not poisonous though. Pothos is toxic, but I have kept it in mine and the fish leave the roots alone. Having plants in there should help remove nitrates from the water. Some plants will work better than others though. :)

Fang's fish love the pothos roots. It doesn't hurt the fish or plant. Koko said pothos is toxic to cats, but mine leave it alone.

I have pothos in my tanks for quite a while now. At first, many of the roots will deteriorate because they aren't used yet to being constantly submerged. These parts need fished out daily. After several weeks most old roots have been replaced by new roots, that have adjusted to the 24/7 water.

My goldfish like nibbling on the thin, tender roots, but occasionally even on the thicker pieces, never had any issues from it though. From what I read, the toxic part of the plant tastes quite bitter/nasty and so fish usually leave it alone. :)

I ill be sure to watch for root deterioration. Hope they do well. :lol

My fish love the plant roots. They will both get in the little basket. surprised it has any roots left. My fish seem to have grown since i put it in. maybe i should feed them more. Feel like i am over feeding now. but they eat every thing in no time. never any food on the bottom. They get fed at least three times a day. Still no algae in site, i think they eat any that develops, seen them nibbling on the fake plants.