Sign in to follow this  
dalek3

Just a question....

My new oranda is "hopping" around on the bottom of the tank is this ok?

What do you mean by 'hopping'? Any chance for a video?

if it's happening all the time, no, it's not normal. if it's just once in a while, then hey, slight entertainment :)

if it's all the time, then it's probably best you start a dnd or 911. there could be something happening internally. you could try fasting for a few days and then feed peas to see if this will help, perhaps just some mild constipation is being experienced?

I mean it goes around "hopping" as in goes down to floor pushes up with fins swims around digs around plants repeat but sometimes it just sits there doing that until someone comes to the fish.

I am not for sure, but it sounds as though it is "scraping" itself as tho trying to scratch, which can be a sign of a parasite (louse) for example. A fish I had once had one and the hubby took it off with tweezers (very carefully),.....I didn't watch cause it freaked me out. But I am sure others will help you with your question. :D

i would consider starting a dnd thread. would you like me to move this post there? then you can answer all the questions in the white box,. it's not usual for a fish to bottom sit for long periods of time, that is unless the lights are out or the temp is too cold.

Wait they sometimes do this if the lights are out cuz he hasn't seen light the entire day (bulb burnt out)

yep, sometimes, if it's dark enough, the fish may think it's sleeping time. but if there is ample light in the room other than the overhead lights, the fish should still be alert and not bottom sitting.

are you sure you don't want me to move this over? even if we determine it's nothing, at least your fish has had a "full checkup" :)

Yea move please, i like this one and want to make 100 percent sure!!!! Thanks Stakos!!!!!

Yea move please, i like this one and want to make 100 percent sure!!!! Thanks Stakos!!!!!

ok.. moving it now. please be sure to answer all the questions accurately so that we can gain a good understanding of what the problem may be, if there is one :)

Dad's yelling at me to get off i'll fill it in at computer science during school!!!

lol.. np.. just remember to test the water and write the results down so that you can fill the form in later :)