Sign in to follow this  
little_washu

Ideal lighting cycle

I recently set up a timer for my tank. I have it set currently for 12 hours on and 12 hours off. My fiance and I have been tweaking it a little so that it matches times when we are around and want to watch the fishy.

I was curious to know what other people set their tanks light/dark cycle to? Anyone had any luck with a particular setup?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback or advice to maximize both my time watching Yamato and provide him with adequate sleep time. Thanks!

I dont have a timmer, well like that, (I have a cat :lol) but any who :)

I turn my tank on around 8am in the morning and off about 7 or 8pm. Sometimes I will let them stay up. Thats if they are still moving. :)

I dont have a timmer, well like that, (I have a cat :lol) but any who :)

I turn my tank on around 8am in the morning and off about 7 or 8pm. Sometimes I will let them stay up. Thats if they are still moving. :)

I would love to be able to do that but since I'm home at different times everyday depending on my work schedule I'd never have the light on at the same time every day. :P

I guess what I'm most curious about is whether it is ok for me to have the light on for 14-16 hours a day (with about 8 hours lights off). I don't want to give him too little sleep but I'd really like to be able to watch him more throughout the day.

I would say 14 hours would be the max hun. You know if you have two lights you could have one go off before the other, to kinda give the fish a dawn effect. This way it wont be so bright. :thumb:

I would say 14 hours would be the max hun. You know if you have two lights you could have one go off before the other, to kinda give the fish a dawn effect. This way it wont be so bright. :thumb:

That actually sounds pretty cool. I was looking into adding a blue LED light for a moonlight effect when its bedtime. That way I can still see him but he can rest. A two light set up is a definite possibility. Thanks!

That actually sounds pretty cool. I was looking into adding a blue LED light for a moonlight effect when its bedtime. That way I can still see him but he can rest. A two light set up is a definite possibility. Thanks!

Nice idea!

But I think you need to switch off the blue lights too at least for 8 hrs. In that way it is ensured that your goldfishes get a good rest. They rest better when it is completely dark. As they don't have eyelids, a small amount of light disturbs their sleep. Good luck.

Experienced members please confirm.

Your Yamato is very pretty! :)

Nice idea!

But I think you need to switch off the blue lights too at least for 8 hrs. In that way it is ensured that your goldfishes get a good rest. They rest better when it is completely dark. As they don't have eyelids, a small amount of light disturbs their sleep. Good luck.

Experienced members please confirm.

I think that makes a good deal of sense. My regular light is on from 3pm to 3am (because I'm kind of a night owl :lol3 ). I'll have the blue "moonlight" come on 3am-5am and 1pm-3pm. That leaves him 8 hours in complete darkness AND should give a nice dawn and dusk feel for him. Thanks for the idea!

oh and thank you for the compliment, I'll go tell him you said so ;)

Edited by little_washu

My lights on from 7am to 11pm, i work alot...i'm considering doing what your considering, the regular light from 7am to 3pm then the 'moon' light from 3pm to 11pm...i don't think my fish are getting enough sleep the way it is setup right now

I have a timer on my big tank (but i actually use the "over ride" switch most of the time. I turns the light on about the time I get up but I often just switch it off when we go to bed.

I never have a light on my goldfish tank. It always scared them when I used to turn it on so now I just have the tank in indirect natural light by a bedroom window. That way they get natural sleep cycles and there is still plenty of light to watch them during the day.

I never have a light on my goldfish tank. It always scared them when I used to turn it on so now I just have the tank in indirect natural light by a bedroom window. That way they get natural sleep cycles and there is still plenty of light to watch them during the day.

That sounds like a nice idea (I'm sure the fishies enjoy it ^^) but my apartment is in a basement...so natural light is not in abundance ^^;