Sign in to follow this  
scrappinjaime

How long does it take for you to drain the water in your tank?

I'm curious if I'm just being impatient or if I should invest in a pump.

How long does it take?

How many gallons tank?

Do you use a "python" type drain? Or a electric pump to drain?

Thank you, Jaime

It takes me 45 minutes to completely change the 100g, and 35 minutes for the 55. I use the mag drive pump to drain, and the Aqueon changer to fill.

It takes me like 30 to 45 mins to drain the 180 about 80%. I use two siphons, one attached to a hose and the other is a python, and put them both out the door. I let gravity do all the work. It is super easy.

I do it by my gravel vac/garden hose combo, with the help of only gravity. I think my 55g, on which I usually change about 80-85%, takes roughly 20 minutes (guessing) to drain this way. I have never actually really paid attention to it though. Since the tank is more or less bare bottom, I simply cover the gravel vac intake with netting, get the suction started, clamp the hose to the rim of the tank in a way that it will only suck out 85% at the most, and then leave it alone. :)

Whenever it's done, it makes this loud noise from losing suction anyway, and I know it's time to either continue to the next tank or to refill that tank.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Takes me about 20 Mins to drain my 55 gallon tank. I use a Python and hang it out the sliding door. :thumb:

I let Gravity do its Mojo :lol

It takes me about an hour and a half to change the 170g-I pump it out and refill w/ Python.Smaller tanks-46g-I just use the python.The pond-300g-takes about 1.5 hrs. also,but it's a bigger pump.

Takes me 10mins to drain my 30gal by python. 30mins for my 85 also by python.

10mins for my 200 with its drain.

20-30 min to do a complete wc depending on if I use my pump or water changer

40 gal

Edited by tithra

I have a python and my normal weekly water change take about an hour on all four tanks. 75, 55, 29 and 6 gallon. On the week I do 80 on the two big tanks it take about 15 minutes longer.

It takes me just over an hour and 15 minutes to do a 25 gallon water change on my 29 gallon tank, i use a 5gallon bucket and a gravel vacuum, going up and down 2-3 flights of stairs 5 times, to dump the bucket down the sink (or tub if the sink has dishes) then i use a 3 gallon(clean water only) bucket to refill from the sink that is 2 flights of stairs up from my tank using the hose from the Gravel Vaccuum....

Man i can't wait till i can get a bigger tank and move it upstairs!

Edited by Ridewithme38

I do my 29's in a similar way to Ridewithme38. Except both my buckets only hold about 3.5-4gallons each, and the farthest I have to go is across the house to the bathroom for filling/dumping. Although dumping isn't going to take as long now, since I finally cleared out the junk in front of the second door in my room, which leads right outside next to the gardens. :thumb:

I'd say changing about 20-23 gallons takes about a half hour,since I have to use a carrier tank to get the water from the bucket to the tank(can't lift the bucket high enough to get it over the rim when it's full...xP)

For draining/debris pickup I use the gravel cleaner (looks kinda like a large suction cup on a stick that attaches to the end of the hose) my dad made,and let gravity do the work once the suction's started.

45+ mins to empty 70% of my 30 gal: I don't have any help, i just use gravity to drain through a pipe 10mm thick. Slow but safe :)

with a gravel vac and a BIG water bottle the type u find ontop of water vendors, 35min for a 50% water change

drain each 120 is 40 mins to 80% i use python to drain and fill. how long does it currently take you to drain your tank?

Using the aqueon it takes me 20 min to drain 85% of the 55 gal tank. So I guess it isn't as slow as I thought. I want to next try it by getting it started to drain and then turn off the water and see how it drains. I have to turn my hot and cold water on to get decent suction. The problem with that is it uses up my hot water and when I go to fill my tanks, there isn't any hot water. So I was thinking of trying the Jehmco system but wasn't sure it would be any better. So, I called them and they said it would take about 10 min to drain my tank and I wouldn't have to run my water. Hmmmm

If i had to guess i would say changing 150-200 gallons in a hour is about tops for a python. This is obviously depending on how high your tanks are off the ground. I can generally change around 80% of the water in 2- 55's and 2- 75's in around an hour using a python to drain and a mag 5 to pump back in.

I use a python (gravity). For me, it takes half an hour to drain and another 15 minutes to fill up my 90 gal. So 45 min for water changes.

It takes me about 35-45 mins to drain 75% water from my 55 & 29High using just gravity with my python out my back door,

it takes about 30-40 minutes for me to drain the 75g 80-90% and 20ish minutes to drain the 55g. I use a hose (with a safety sponge over the end) as a siphon and send the water straight out the back door and into the flowers.

I think I am in the 30-40 minute group! I remove 70-80% from my 90 gal tank (using the Python.... & gravity) and the 29.

I think it is interesting that most of us use a Python (or similar) hose system BUT don't hook it to the faucet to remove water! I am MUCH more pleased with it since (soon after I got it & saw how much water it wasted) I now just use it as a gravity fed siphon to clean gravel & remove water. Then I whip on the thingee when ready to refill & let 'er rip!!! I can't imagine NOT having my Python now!!!!!!!!! :no:

WARNING:

((Just remember IF you do use it attached to the sink to remove water you have to guard the intake VERY carefully....curious goldfish can easily get sucked in & it will hurt them badly (& can even KILL them!)) Always place a net over the end if you aren't right there totally watching the intake!!!