Sign in to follow this  
Guest mystiqueela

Black Marks

Guest mystiqueela

Hello,

I have searched and read through previous posts on this subject but am a bit confused.

My tank is 34" x 12" and I have 7 small goldfish in there, with a few plants and ornaments. I have an under-gravel filter. It has been set up for about 4 weeks, after I moved house and had to bring them indoors from the pond they had been living in. I have had the ammonia, pH etc all checked at my local pet shop and they say that the water is perfect.

Since the fish have been in the tank they have been getting blacker. I asked the pet shop about this and they said it was normal, they do this all the time. The fish seem perfectly happy, but I'm still concerned about them.

I was worried it might be a kind of parasite but the black isn't in spots or tiny dots, it seems to be the actual colouring. I am presuming they are recovering from an ammonia shock (even though I treated the water before they went in and it was left to filter through for a few days) and this explains the black, however could it be anything else? Should I treat them with an anti-parasite just in case, esp. as they were in a pond?

Sorry if this question has been asked lots before but I'm very worried, and appreciate any help you can offer this newbie! Thanks a lot. x

Guest ChenHuan

Shine & Feed can cause there symptem appearment...

Do not warry about it ...

All will be ok.

Good Luck

Are you familiar with cycling? Do you have test kits? How often have you been doing water changes, and how much do you change each time?

Some pet stores have a funny (meaning wrong ;) ) idea of what constitutes "perfect" water. Black marks are a sign of healing from *some form* if irritation, most commonly high ammonia and/or nitrite concentrations, and with your tank only having been set up 4 weeks ago, I would say poor water is the likely cause for the color change on your little guys. Even if the pet store got it right and your water *was* perfect, that doesn't mean it still is.

Take a sample of your tank water in and ask them to test it for you again, and get actual numbers for each of the parameters this time (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH). It would save you a lot of trouble to go ahead and pick up your own test kits, so you could test your water whenever you need to and as often as you need to. "Master" test kits commonly run $15-25, single test kits go for about $5-8. If you get the master kit, you'll also want to pick up a seperate nitrate tester, since it doesn't come with one.

In the meantime, you could do a water change to improve the water quality. Don't forget to use dechlorinator!

Good luck. :) Let us know your results when you get them.

I didn't realize you were in the UK. The prices I gave are (maybe obviously) in US dollars. I have no idea what kits go for on your side of the pond. :)