Sign in to follow this  
rdoyle225

I want to plant my tank

Ok I have been into fish for a while just kind of new to goldfish. In my old place I had a planted tank for my fish and Love it, but they where not goldfish. I want to l know why are some plant good for them and some are not. I have not really work out what I am. I have a 55 gallon tank bare bottom, with a comet, and a Tele in it. The tank will have 2 emperor 400. Right now it has a crap filter on it. I good friend of mine told me to go with a emperor 400. I also want to but shimp and some corrie cat fish in there would that be ok?

This is what I was thinking to but in there jave moss, maybe Jave furn, crypiis of any kind, and what elese my other fish friends would give me for chep.

I am a member of a local fish club. It is Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society if anyone in louisiana, and Mississippi want to join.

The big issue with planted goldfish tanks is that goldfish are hungry little critters. They eat a lot of plants that other fish won't. I have two planted goldfish tanks, and I love them. I wouldn't have my tank any other way. But I stick to goldfish-safe plants.

Another issue is that active goldfish might uproot plants, even if they don't eat them. That can be a little frustrating. But once the plants are established, that's not such a big problem.

what are some goldfish safe plants?

Some people say that their goldfish will eat everything, but these are some popular plants: crypts, vals, swords, moss balls, mosses, java ferns, banana plants and anubias. Some people have luck with anacharis, but it's iffy. Also, pennywort and hornwort are OK, but they float.

+1 on what ShawneeRiver has said so far. I people here have had some issues with putting cories in with goldfish, so I would not recommend it. As far as shrimp go, they often turn into tasty snacks.

You've listed some pretty good plants so far, I've had good luck with anubias, crypts, java fern ,and moss, tiger lotus, and moderate luck with vals. They did nibble on the vals.

Good luck:)

I have ghost shrimp with my goldfish. I'm not saying that they never become snacks, but several have made it for months. They would have to have hiding places.

I also wanted to add, no cory catfish. They are often eaten by goldfish. The goldfish also can get their mouth stuck on the barb and you have to manually remove it.

I also wanted to add, no cory catfish. They are often eaten by goldfish. The goldfish also can get their mouth stuck on the barb and you have to manually remove it.

:bingo:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Plants.html

would sand be ok for gold fish?

first of all there are many plants that will go well with goldfish... as i have said before.. no 2 goldfish are alike and it is pretty much a trial and error type thing with goldfish... hit or miss.. its really up to you to see what works and what doesnt... secondly goldfish will probably eat your shrimp anyways.. so get cheap shrimp that dont cost alot incase you have to replace them...another thing... most shrimp need ESPECIALLY clean pristine water conditions... so you MUST stay ontop of the water if you want to give your shrimp a fighting chance.. goldfish are extremely dirty fish and water conditions can quickly go south if neglected even for a short period.. thus killing your very delicate shrimp and possibly getting sick goldfish!! the ammonia and nitrites thaT goldies produce in water would probably sicken or kill shrimp. another thing, cory cats a few things that come to mind, temperature differences in that goldfish are a cooler water type fish and cory cats are strictly tropical, putting a cory cat in cooler temps may lower immune system response leaving them oopen to illness/diseases. another thing if your goldfish was to try to snack on a cory cat the goldie could probably injure itself from the spiny dorsal fins causing more problems.... anyways.. long response.. but in my opinion if you are hoping to get the catfish i wouldnt.. its probably not even worth the amount of possible headaches it can cause... and if you have algae problems.. i believe you should find the source of your algae problems i.e overfeeding, too many nutrients etc. and correct it... btw no snail or catfish can do a betgter cleaning job than you can. but if you want something to maybe help you out i say stick with snails... maybe NERITES.. which i love.

temp should not be a problem with the Goldfish that I got. They are born and raised outside in the Louisiana hot summer. But I understain about the spines they can be painful. I have been sting but blue cats before not nice. Corydoras are cool to have a school of them in your tank to watch. I had them in mine 29 gallon plant tank. I had a breeding pair of albino. Maybe I will get other tank of those.

this is where I got my gold fish from. they are great peolpe. ornamentalpondfish.com

Ok other question. My conment tail is a little rips will it repair it self or will it always stay like that.

Edited by TD
url

I have sand in one of my tanks and a sand/Eco Complete mixin the other. Both have been good. I realy like the sand. It's easy to clean and holds the roots well. Make sure you get a slightly courser sand. Pool filter sand or CarribSea tihitian moon sand are good choices. Play sand is too fine, I hear.

I have some pather stone. It is a smaller grave with sand in it. I pick it up at lowes, I am going to get http://www.tractorsupply.com/safe-t-sorb-trade-oil-absorbent-40-lb--0800989 and cap it with the other stuff. a friend told about he he used it in his angles tank. I want to say it is 110 or 90 or something else I cant remember what size it is. The thing is you have to wash it over and over again.

it is going to be kind like a dirt tank, but not really.

I don't know anything about that product.

I tried to make a sand cap for the Eco Complete, but it didn't work. The sand settled into the Eco. Goldfish tanks need more and bigger water changes and more vacuuming than trop tanks, and goldfish pull at the plants regularly. I think that's a factor in the sand and Eco getting all mixed up. I wouldn't do a dirt goldfish tank. It would be too messy imo.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

it not really a dirty tank. It is going to have a small amont of clay to help the plants to grow nice.

befor

277.jpg

After

278.jpg

will show a pic after it clears up

yikes... that looks extremely cloudy imo... why would you use safe t sorb?!? i dont understand?? i am a mechanic and we use that stuff to clean up oil spills or chemical spills.. what use would it have in an aquarium?? are you sure this wont leech out something harmful into the water? i am dumbfounded i am sorry.. ive just never seen or heard about this in an aquarium?... im hoping you did your research... ;)

Whoa, that's very cloudy!!

it is 100% clay nothing eles in it. A friend is useing for is angles breeding tank. I took this like a few mins ago a few mins after I added a new fliter to it.

004.jpg

the other is paver stone rocks.I did not wash the clay like I did the others. I did not want to losse all the good stuff that clay has

this is the clay that is used Montmorllinite Clay

this is the clay that is used Montmorllinite Clay

This is also known as koi clay. It's very good!

Alot cheaper. It is 5 something for 40 ponds of it.

You don't say. Well, I'll have to go get me some. :)