Sign in to follow this  
Cohazard

Will goldfish eat anacharis?

I picked up some anacharis yesterday to float in my tank for the golds. I don't mind it they eat it, but it would be nice to be able to keep it floating to help with over all water quality.

Thank you.

Yes

Not always, it really depends on the fish. I kept it in my tank previously and my fish never touched it :) but it is typically a favorite goldie food.

My anacharis always gets eaten.

Depends on the fish. I have had fish that would eat Java Fern and others that wont touch it. General rule of thumb with goldfish, "if it can fit in there mouths, they WILL eat it" :thumb:

I picked up some anacharis yesterday to float in my tank for the golds. I don't mind it they eat it, but it would be nice to be able to keep it floating to help with over all water quality.

Thank you.

Yes

This.

Although there are some individuals that won't eat it, all of mine eventually started eating it. Even the one that I thought would never go after any plant, because she has a deformed mouth and all that good stuff, is loving the taste of anacharis.

Mine see it as their own personal salad bar.

Mine see it as their own personal salad bar.

:bingo:

I cant have plants with Charlie, He pulls them all up :lol:rofl

sometimes it will grow fast enough that the fish will only be trimming it for you. But with most goldies most plants are on the menu. I do ok with water lettuce on my goldie tanks. Sometimes they will eat the roots though.

Thank you for the help everybody. I feed them spinach and lettuce so they probably will eat up the anacharis when i put in their tank lol

sometimes it will grow fast enough that the fish will only be trimming it for you. But with most goldies most plants are on the menu. I do ok with water lettuce on my goldie tanks. Sometimes they will eat the roots though.

Water lettuce ? is this in a tank or pond? :)

I grew water lettuce in a tank before Koko. The runners stayed somewhat small, and I kept the water level down a couple inches.

Im not sure on the plant species, but it wasnt water hyacinth just to be clear.

Edited by Serg

I grew water lettuce in a tank before Koko. The runners stayed somewhat small, and I kept the water level down a couple inches.

Im not sure on the plant species, but it wasnt water hyacinth just to be clear.

Oh man, I couldnt lower the tank level in my tank... It would be so so loud :yikes

Bummer

I use an xp3 filter with the out put spray bar pointed at the surface without breaking the surface.

The bubble wand provides the aeration for the water.

It stayed fairly quiet. My 29 with the HOB though, that one i had to learn to appreciate the sound lol

I use an xp3 filter with the out put spray bar pointed at the surface without breaking the surface.

The bubble wand provides the aeration for the water.

It stayed fairly quiet. My 29 with the HOB though, that one i had to learn to appreciate the sound lol

Yup and there lies my problem... I got a AC 110, I can tell if its just a smidgen off on level. No way could I handle a couple inches :o Wowsers :lol

Yeah some day I will get another canister filter again. :thumb:

General rule of thumb with goldfish, "if it can fit in there mouths, they WILL eat it" :thumb:

LOL :D

Tanks I have lots of it probably a 12 sq ft of tanks covered in it. BIg ones, small ones, some the size of your head ;)

Edited by Patti

BIg ones, small ones, some the size of your head

Why, in my mind are you singing this part? :rofl

Tanks I have lots of it probably a 12 sq ft of tanks covered in it. BIg ones, small ones, some the size of your head ;)

Is the level of your water lowered too? Or do you think I could let them grow on the back half of my tank with no lights?

BIg ones, small ones, some the size of your head

Why, in my mind are you singing this part? :rofl

:lol:tomuch:

I put w/l in my tanks from time too time Koko-they love it!

LOL,every time I look at the title of this thread I want to say "Only IF you put it in the tank"! :rofl

I put w/l in my tanks from time too time Koko-they love it!

LOL,every time I look at the title of this thread I want to say "Only IF you put it in the tank"! :rofl

does it keep living or do they devour it? If its still keeps living how do you have it?

No,it doesn't last -they eat the roots. I can't keep it going long in my pond either-they eat the roots+w/l love sunlight and mine is in the shade. But I like to get it as a treat sometimes.There's a guy that lives about 30 min from me who grows nice 1s in his pond-he sells them for $1.00/ea. this time of year,and $00.50 in the fall mos.

Im wondering if I could get away with.....

in the side where my filter is, lift the glass lid up and place them there. But there wouldnt be a light except from the sliding glass door. :hummm

I def do not put it in w/ the idea that I now have w/l as a stable component in my tanks.I put it in knowing I'll have to replace it soon! :krazy: Would you be using it for nitrate control-since it will be where your filter is?

I def do not put it in w/ the idea that I now have w/l as a stable component in my tanks.I put it in knowing I'll have to replace it soon! :krazy: Would you be using it for nitrate control-since it will be where your filter is?

I was kinda hoping I could, but if not oh well.

I think I will give it a try :thumb: