This has to be the wackiest looking goldfish I've ever seen

I know, right? Especially with the ultra tiny fins, and his tail is really set high.

I can't decide if I find him freaky or adorable, either way he fascinates me

I feel the same way. :rofl :rofl :rofl

Apparently it's a legit fish, search for "Demekin" on google and you get all sorts of interesting looking goldfish if you weed out the cameras....

A demekin is simply a telescope goldfish :)

In Japanese, "Deme" is a short nickname for Popped Eye and "Kin" is of course short for "Kingyo" which means goldfish.

A demekin is simply a telescope goldfish :)

In Japanese, "Deme" is a short nickname for Popped Eye and "Kin" is of course short for "Kingyo" which means goldfish.

I've seen the name 'demekin' applied to this type of fish (telescope, ryukin body) many times, usually by chinese suppliers/breeders/enthusiasts. Although that might be the origin of the name (IE the literal translation) I am inclined to think it has been applied to this type of fish as a variety or breed.

Regardless of the appropriate name, that's a bad example of the type. Although every demekin I've seen has short-ish fins, they have also been well balanced fish and decent swimmers.

LOL. Yes, I think we've come to associate demekins to the ryukin type body telescopes. However, I quoted of Jack of Hearts because he is actually Japanese, and a very long time member here (7+ years). At least in Japan it seems demekins apply to all telescopes, regardless of how well they fit our standard. :)

Edited by dnalex

O_o

. . . but I think it's adorable. Perhaps not the strongest swimmer, though. o_O If I had room right now . . .

Wait, it's a stock photo, not the exact fish anyway, right?

O_o

. . . but I think it's adorable. Perhaps not the strongest swimmer, though. o_O If I had room right now . . .

Wait, it's a stock photo, not the exact fish anyway, right?

Yep, unfortunately. I'd love to see a whole lot of these guys though :D

• 4 weeks later...