Sign in to follow this  
Monkey87

Algae eater with goldfish?

Hey guys, I was just wondering, besides snails what are good algae eater that would do fine with Goldfish, including same water preferences and conditions.?? THANKS!

You can try bristlenose plecos and rubberlips. They are generally very docile, and will remain small. Once the algae is gone though, you have to make sure they get enough food, which is not a trivial matter in a goldfish tank :)

You can try bristlenose plecos and rubberlips.

At this point I want to say that I looked into rubberlips some more, as I was considering getting another one because according to the Petsmart info they grow only 6 inches, but I recently saw that they have updated the info about the rubberlips on their tanks, saying they grow to be 24".

I googled some more about them and do find contradicting info. Most of the online articles say 6-8" adult size max, some even say 5".

The Petsmart website states they grow to be 10".

I still think they stay at about the same size as bristlenoses, so I would not worry about the info on the Petsmart tanks :)

:yikes

Just to clear up any possible confusion, the rubberlip/rubbernose plecos that I am thinking of are those from the genus Chaetostoma spp., and those should not get longer than 6 inches.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/genus.php?genus_id=26#308

I shudder at the thought of a 24 inch pleco in with my catfish :o

Thanks guys.. but how come i feel uneasy about a pleco in with goldfish?? ive heard soo many stories about plecos sucking on goldfish??? slimecoats are tasty?? should i worry? and are BN plecos ok solo with no other BN's? do hey eat algae off plants aswell?

I have 6 or 7 BN plecos with my goldies. The males are funny when the find each other. They puff up. They also love all GC food.

I have a BN in one of my Goldfish tanks. He is still pretty small. I worry about him getting enough food because the goldies are such pigs. He ignores the goldies, but they are quite curious about him. When he is out they bug him, I even saw one divebombing him the other day. I think it is all in fun though. Everything my goldies do is for fun. They are party animals.

I don't think the BN likes them very much and ignores them, so that never seems a problem.

thanks alot... but how good algae cleaners are BN's? do they eat plant algae?

thanks alot... but how good algae cleaners are BN's? do they eat plant algae?

My mom had a huge problem with algae in her tank. She tried snail after snail, and a common pleco (poor thing lasted a week. =/). Since I bought her a BN, that tank has been spotless.

My BN does a good job. He works 24/7. lol He really does a great job and he is still little.

anytime have you ever seen the bn pleco's try to or succeed in sucking the slimecoats off the goldies? i heard this is common? this is the only thing i would really worry about..???? anybody heard of or experienced this first hand???

anytime have you ever seen the bn pleco's try to or succeed in sucking the slimecoats off the goldies? i heard this is common? this is the only thing i would really worry about..???? anybody heard of or experienced this first hand???

I have. Unfortunately, two of my goldfish died as the result. I am to blame though. I just didn't manage to get food to the BNs without the goldies eating them all first.

I have had BN's and they are very shy and mean. I now have a VERY cute rubberlip pleco and he is AWESOME! :krazy:

I have had BN's and they are very shy and mean. I now have a VERY cute rubberlip pleco and he is AWESOME!

I think that this most likely the result of the BNs not being able to have their own space and/or getting enough/the right kind of food. We have numerous members on the forum housing BNs with goldfish without issue, although there have been incidents with some members.

I have had BN's and they are very shy and mean. I now have a VERY cute rubberlip pleco and he is AWESOME!

I think that this most likely the result of the BNs not being able to have their own space and/or getting enough/the right kind of food. We have numerous members on the forum housing BNs with goldfish without issue, although there have been incidents with some members.

Very true fact... :thumb: