Thinking of starting a new tank after failing badly.

Anyone know the exact distance an aquaclear juts over the tank? I'm designing my tank stand and would like to know the dimensions. The only dimensions I could find are for the box everything comes in for shipping.

The picture looks like it is about 1-2 inches.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so my equipment is on its way. I'm pretty sure I over-corrected...

I got a wet/dry filter w/ overflow for up to 100 gallons, an aquaclear HOB for 70 gallons (in case the return pump fails on the wet/dry), a UV sterilizer, 2 LED aquarium grow lamps, and I built a DIY tank stand.

I'll put up pictures this weekend!

Ok, so my equipment is on its way. I'm pretty sure I over-corrected...

I got a wet/dry filter w/ overflow for up to 100 gallons, an aquaclear HOB for 70 gallons (in case the return pump fails on the wet/dry), a UV sterilizer, 2 LED aquarium grow lamps, and I built a DIY tank stand.

I'll put up pictures this weekend!

Wow that seems interesting :D I'm curious about the DIY stand :D!

Welcome to Koko's :) I have 3 Eheim filters running on my tanks and just have the output nozzles pointing downwards so there is a constant stream breaking the surface of the water in the tank. If you are worried about oxygen levels though (and i personally don't think that you should be, even with plants) you could always use a HOB filter with a Biowheel. The autotrophic bacteria supporting the nitrogen cycle only have to be wet, they do not have to be submerged. This is where Wet/Dry filtration, which includes Biowheels, establishes its advantage over submerged biomedia. Media that is exposed to the atmosphere is able to utilize oxygen from the atmosphere. This eliminates any concern of insufficient oxygen to support the bacteria and it removes the bacteria from competition with the fish for oxygen, which results in more oxygen being available to the fish. A good colony of BB's can actually consume more oxygen than a couple of small goldfish :)

• 3 weeks later...

OK! I have my stand mostly built (need to put the cabinet doors on and the light they sent me was wrong, but I'll fix that later), I'm setting it up TONIGHT!

I've got my ammonia ready, my tank and filters rinsed out, and I'm going to be running it without plants or fish until I have nitrates and 0/0 ammonia and nitrites.

Questions:

Should I add fish or plants first? Some sites say fish first, but imply it is for cycling (which I'm doing without fish). I'd like to have the tank conditions 100% ideal before stressing out my new fish.

Here's the (mostly finished) stand I built:

178935_421952347837512_771717687_n.jpg

It's two separate parts, the hood covers the unsightly power cables and tubes and is where the air flow is. The back is open. There are two 220 MM fans for air circulation around the wet/dry filter.

I love the stand! I would hold off on plants while cycling unless you are dosing them with Flourish or something like that. There won't be anything to feed them without the fish.

I also want to suggest the Fancy Goldfish book by Johnson/Hess.

My wife got me the Johnson/Hess book as an early birthday present!

I put ammonia in the tank and i can get some fertilizer, but they seem to be doing well enough. So far I just have some Anacharis and a sword. I'm waiting on the LFS to get in a madagascar lace and maybe some java moss...

Here's a bad picture of my tank before I added gravel and plants... my phone broke and wiped my SD card so I don't have a better picture...

543621_423696870996393_762516355_n.jpg

Edited by EvilVegan

So... the pet store has the fish I want in stock (chocolate orandas), but my tank isn't ready because I over-dosed it with ammonia... I've got it back down to 4 ppm (down from 8-12 ppm, oops!). I think the anacharis that died amped it up too much.

How do people feel about Tetra Safe Start for kickstarting this process?

I've been researching and most sites say that the other bacterial supplements people get are from land-based cultures instead of water-based cultures, so they drown after a few weeks (which is why they crash and you have to keep buying the product); but Tetra Safe Start is a one-time dose of water-based nitrifiers....

I've seen sites that say "don't use supplemental bacteria... get seed gravel/filters with bacteria on it from friends/family or pet store" and as a pseudoscientist I can't see why that's better, faster, safer, or more stable than a store bought supplement (assuming it is fresh)?

I can wait, just not sure they'll still be in stock when this thing is finally done.

• 2 months later...