[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? <5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.7

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.7

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops

[*]Water temperature? 80F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallons, since 12/2010

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? top fin HOB 80gph

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? around 10% weekly

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 male betta, one medium sized mystery snail

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? aqueon betta pellets, supposedly about 6 pellets daily over two meals

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? seems very fat and bloat

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? nope

A couple weeks ago I noticed that my mother in law's betta looks fat, and I had her fast him for two days. Since she tends to overfeed her dogs, I suspect her to overfeed the fish too, but supposedly he only gets about 3 pellets twice daily.

Today I noticed that he is really fat. He looks like he swallowed a whole pea. He is NOT pineconing, just bloaty. He also behaves normal.

Now what? I am planning on doing a big water change on it. She usually changes a gallon weekly with a big pitcher. And then? I am not quick with meds, but I have MMs and medigold at home, in case he needs something like that.

I can't get a good photo of him, but this looks very similar to him. He is a bit less fat than the fish in this photo http://i3.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens5478462_1250784073betta-swimbladder-1.JPG

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I think that's a blockage. But I am not sure.

Ouch, that big a belly looks stressful. Are you sure he actually was fasted? I fed Psycho a couple of extra bloodworms a few weeks ago and he was huge like that for more than 48 hours! It didn't feel like I fed him loads, just a couple in addition to his daily pellets. I now feed them instead of that days pellets.

Looks like he's got a blockage caused by the pellets not being soaked prior to feeding. Fasting and peas *should* help but to prevent it happening again, the pellets really need to be soaked. Good luck with him (and the mother in law!) :laugh:

Phineas got like that before. Fasting followed by frozen daphnia (he wouldn't eat any veggies) did the trick. Good luck!

Thanks everyone! I will tell her and show her and have her fast him. For how long would you suggest? This looks like it needs more than 1 day. Last time I told her to fast him for 2 days, SUPPOSEDLY she didn't feed him.

Should I feed a piece of pea prior to fasting him, to help him loosen up? It kind of makes me nervous to think of feeding ANYTHING to him.

I wouldn't feed anything for 2-3days for sure.

Then only light foods. Like peas if they work for him. And SMALL feedings.

He eats peas. I keep telling her to only feed 2-3 pellets at a time at the most. He's a rather big guy. I honestly think she feeds way too much, even though she denies it. I mean, I see her feeding her 5lb chihuahua almost a cup of dry dog food daily....

ROfl exactly. Having seen the Chihuahua I am not surprised :o

Insane hubby is so thin! ROFL

aw, poor guy! :( I hope the fasting works for him!

One whole cup? I feed that much to my 85lb boxer :o

He eats peas. I keep telling her to only feed 2-3 pellets at a time at the most. He's a rather big guy. I honestly think she feeds way too much, even though she denies it. I mean, I see her feeding her 5lb chihuahua almost a cup of dry dog food daily....

He's not going to be 5 lbs for too long. At the weight, he should only be having 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of quality kibble a day.

He's not going to be 5 lbs for too long. At the weight, he should only be having 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of quality kibble a day.

I know, and it drives me nuts. She went through half of a 15lb bag of Blue Buffalo within not even two weeks and wonders why the dogs are fat. Even though I keep telling her that this food is higher quality and nutrition, she just no finally understood that this food is NOT a low calorie food - which she thought it is.

And of course she whines over the cost of the dog food :doh11:

At least she started feeding the dogs with actual meals. She used to fill their bowls in the morning (and I mean FILL) and had the food available all day long.

Anyway, back to the betta. Seeing how an epsom stuffed pea loosens up goldfish, would that be a good idea for the betta too? Watching him some more he does seem more lethargic than he used to be.

I wrote a gigantic note in sharpie and taped it to the tank LOL No food until Sunday night (that's 3 days), and then I will feed him with peas for 3 days, and then she will get very precise instructions on how to feed him. Hopefully that will help.

I would think Epsom would be fine here.

I would think Epsom would be fine here.

3 pellets 2x/day sounds like a lot to me Fang. I used to feed that,but crush the pellets now.1 day I did soak-the crushed 1s-and they get HUGE!!! Ever since I just give them a few of the crushed pieces 1x/day.

3 pellets 2x/day sounds like a lot to me Fang. I used to feed that,but crush the pellets now.1 day I did soak-the crushed 1s-and they get HUGE!!! Ever since I just give them a few of the crushed pieces 1x/day.

If it really was just a total of 6 pellets a day (those are really tiny granules actually), it would probably be fine. But knowing her, she probably feeds twice the amount...

I feed my own girl 3-4 pellets total daily, and she is perfectly fine. I don't believe that from only 2 more pellets her significantly larger fish would get so "full". I'm gonna have to have a really serious talk with her, maybe showing her photos of a dropsy victim betta or so. Something really nasty looking, to shock her a bit.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Hope the bloating goes down!

Alright, so he's fasting for 48 hours now, and I added 1tsp epsom salt to the 10 gallon tank, but I do not see any improvement at all.

Ideas? I am going to move him to my 2.5g, bare, to see if he's pooping. Without filter, but daily w/c and a handful floating plants from his tank. The cycle in his tank should keep going thanks to the mystery snail in there.

Fang,isn't that too much epsom?

Fang,isn't that too much epsom?

Isn't it 1/8tsp per gallon? That makes 1tsp per 8 gallons. I was googling for epsom dosage for bettas and found 1/2tsp for a 5 gallon tank.

If that's too much, let me know so I can adjust it!

I thought it was 1/4 tsp per 10 gallons.

Yeah, its 1/4th teaspoon per 10 gallons. Every now and then we say that 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons is ok for large goldfish.

Yeah, its 1/4th teaspoon per 10 gallons. Every now and then we say that 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons is ok for large goldfish.

Gotcha. Doing a w/c now! :)

No! It's 1/8 tsp per 5 gallons! And that 's for gf-don't know if it should be even less for bettas-given they can only tolerate less of aq. salt.

No! It's 1/8 tsp per 5 gallons! And that 's for gf-don't know if it should be even less for bettas-given they can only tolerate less of aq. salt.

I know, I had already mixed his water 50:50 with fresh water when transferring him to the 2.5g when I saw your comment about the too much epsom. After the additional 50% w/c just now after reading ashlee's post, I am at 1/8tsp / 5g (1/4tsp / 10g). :)

I keep googling for bettas and epsom salt right now to see if there are some specific epsom instructions for bettas. The D&D posts on Ultimate Bettas.com say 1tsp per 10gallons, and to actually even go up to 2 tsp per 10 gallons the next day. This all really confuses me. :lol