* Ammonia Level: 0

* Nitrite Level:0

* Nitrate level: 10

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) : 7.2

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.0

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

* Water temperature? 80F

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? tank is 90 gals, been running for 3 years

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? It a sump that came with the tank (Not sure- it just says made by Little Giant Pump Co, type U21B )

* How often do you change the water and how much? 50% weekly

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Sunday, 50%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 goldfish, 4-5 inches excluding tail

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? daily, homemade gel food and shrimp (stopped pellets as it seems to help with floating)

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Feeding gel food with metro as of last week

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
See below

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
See below

Hi guys,

This is part rant part asking for advice. I’m feeling discouraged with my goldies- since the summer they have been slowly one by one going downhill- either failing to thrive or getting ill. Quick re-cap: I’m now down to 4 from my original 7 goldies- lost my biggest one in the pond (lying on its side one day, died over the next few days), my smallest later in the summer/fall (seemed to have problems seeing food, just died suddenly one day), and another in March (septicemia and dropsy).

Now the remaining 4 have some issue or other; I’m going to combine everything into one post so it’s less confusing:

fish 1- has viral growth on side (lymphocystis)- been like that since the summer, acts fine otherwise. Never separated from the rest of the fish (bad move?) The lump has gotten bigger since the summer but has been stable; sometimes the lump develops red spots but these usually disappear with water changes

fish 2- skinny;- eats well, but never gains weight; this fish would get floaty from pellets (why I switched to gel food now). I don’t know why but I have a funny feeling about its scales they just don’t look as sleek as they used to- not pineconing though; sometimes after eating it does a headstand and gasps, but stops when I approach the tank

fish 3- looks fine, but has problems seeing food though the eyes are clear; doesn’t look like popeye- has learned to go to the bottom and scavenge for food there.

fish 4 (biggest)- popeye in both eyes, especially the left eye (eyes bulging, white ring around each eye)- noticed yesterday afternoon, seems to have gotten worse this morning;- no change in appetite or behaviour

I don’t know- is there something I’m doing wrong?? I’m wondering if the fish with the wart is spreading something- should I scrub down the tank (I’ve been leaving algae on the back and bottom to help with nitrates)? Isolate anyone? Or is there no point since everyone’s ill in some way?

Sorry for the long post- let me know if I’ve missed any details. Thanks for reading and greatly appreciate any advice!

Hello. I'm sorry you are having all sorts of troubles with your fish. I hope this will turn around soon!

Where are you located? I can't see because I'm on my phone. If you are in the US, I would go ahead and order Metro-Meds from goldfish connection. This, I believe will help with some of the issues you are experiencing.

1. The lymphocystis is incurable. What you can do is dab the spot with acriflavine. It may go down, or it may not, but the acriflavine will certainly help with preventing those infectious bacterial spots.

2. Sounds like either an internal parasite issue or not getting enough nutrients. Could you post the recipe of your gel food please? It would be good to have a look. The Metro-Gel is a good step, but if possible, I think Metro-Meds is better.

3. I think the Metro-Meds can help with floaty issues.

4. Certainly, popeye needs to be treated. If you let it linger, it will get worse, and could function as a bacterial reservoir. Metro-Meds is appropriate here also.

Hi dnalex, I'm located in Toronto Canada- no metromeds available unfortunately.

I made my gel food a while back- think it was something like 1 cup steamed vegetables (equal parts of parsely, kale, Chinese vegetables, red pepper), 1 can tuna and gelatin. For the metro gel, I defrosted this mix and added the metro powder (1g powder to 99 g food).

Just did a 60% water change and isolated the goldie with popeye in qt for now- s/he just ate another piece of metro gel food. Hmm, I still have some maracyn II around, think I should add it or just continue with the metro?

Thanks.

Edited by Bluefish

I think you'll need the Maracyn 2 for popeye, unfortunately.

Here are some considerations for it:

1. water pH needs to be at neutral.

2. water needs to be soft, general hardness wise.

3. The Maracyn 2 must not be expired.

4. Maracyn 2 is light sensitive, so you need to cover the tank.

Let us know how goes with them. It looks like fish 4 is the one that's most worrying, but you have a good plan of treatment :)

I would also like to know ...

What is in the tank as in ornaments, gravel and such? Photos or a video would be great.

Bacterial problems can be caused by the things. :(

Thanks guys for the advice :) dnalex- I've added the maracyn II for tonight and will be doing 100% daily water changes for the next 10 days. I'm thinking of continuing feeding the metro gel as well. Koko- the tank is barebottomed...but I haven't done a real scrubbing for a while so it's accumulated quite a bit of algae (mostly brown/green) along the bottom and back wall. Should I scrub it off? I like that it helping with keeping the nitrates down but I hadn't considered if it's harboring bacteria too.

2011_03292010_goldfish0002.jpg

2011_03292010_goldfish0003.jpg

Edited by Bluefish

I would like to suggest for the time being.... Just wipe down the glass, dont worry if you can scrub the green stuff. :thumb:

then the sponge filter, I see you got another filter on the back, so I would like you to take that sponge filter out if you can, if its not the only BB holder you got. Reason being I had one in my tank recently and it went sour on me. It could be the problem. :(

I'll give the tank a wipe down during the next water change; there's still the sump so I can remove the sponge filter no problem. :) To update, after 4 days of maracyn II the popeye is almost gone! :D. But I think I'm seeing scales starting to lift on both sides of the body- so depending on how it goes, I may be extending treatment to 10 instead of 5 days. Still feeding metro gel food to everyone at the moment- other than helping with the floating, I'm not seeing any difference (was really hoping the skinny fish would bulk up some) Perhaps I should continue feeding it a little longer (They've been on it for 2 weeks now)? Will keep you guys posted, thanks!

How are the water readings today ? :)

Also, could we have some top view pics of the fish that you say whose scales are starting to lift? Thanks.

QT tank parameters of yesterday night were ammonia 0.25-0.5; nitrite 0, nitrate 0, temp 72F (tap ammonia 0.25, nitrite 0, nitrate 0). To be expected as I don't have a filter on there- But..I've been adding triple dose prime and daily water changes..so figured should be ok.

dnalex, I will try to take pics tonight- would be good to get a second opinion. :)

Thanks guys

The scales do look a little bit "loose" but he is still retaining his shape very well. I think you should continue on course with treatment. How goes with everyone?

The goldie in QT is quick to eat but doesn't swim around much. As for the others, still the same except for some things..

goldie 1 (lymphocystis)- had floaty poop today

goldie 2 (skinny)- still pretty much the same I think (I didn't see how it was after eating this morning, but swimming normally right now.

btw here's a pic of the 'funny' scales I mentioned...

Photo0244.jpg

goldie 3 (eyesight problem)- now has some white on its head and some redness near a bit of the dorsal fin base. I don't know how long ago it started (only noticed it today because I turned on the light for pics). It also had pale thin poop today. The white is not fuzzy but sort of a 'haze'.

Photo0236.jpg

Photo0237.jpg

Photo0241.jpg

The goldie in QT is now finished maracyn II round 2 (10 days) and I've stopped the metro gel yesterday. I was doing an extra water change on the main tank because I thought he was ready to be put back with the rest but..I took a closer look and saw the scales are still loose looking: :(

Photo0262.jpg

Based on the scales I didn't feel he was quite ready to go back so he's back in the QT tub tonight..but what do you guys think-is he healthy enough or not? I'm planning on getting epson salts tomorrow to see if it makes a difference, otherwise I don't know what else to try (he's basically fine except that the scales still aren't flat)

Thanks.

Edited by Bluefish

How many days was he on the Metro-Gel? I think he should continue the course of that for a bit longer. The scales are still a bit rough looking to me :(

He's had 3 weeks of the metro-gel..including yesterday, he's been off it for 2 days. I still have a bit of food left (maybe for another week)- how long do you think its safe to keep feeding it?

Let's keep the QT goldy as is and see how things develop in the next few days. It may be that there is some amount of irreversible damage :(

Is your main tank salted? If not, I would recommend raising the salt in 0.1% increments to 0.2%. If it's already salted, let me know. How often have you been doing WCs on the main tank?

Hi dnalex, no, the main tank is not salted - I will start raising salt levels today. (What's the purpose of the salt btw?) Water changes have been 50% weekly; this week I've done one on Sunday and again last night- Everything tested fine, but I'm going to keep an eye on params (the goldie with eye problems somehow developed ammonia burns)

The salt is mildly antimicrobial, and since there seems to be some bacterial issues in the tank (spot on head), hopefully the salt will be sufficient.

The burn may not have come from ammonia, but a medication burn.

hi bluefish, excellent advise from alex.

i notice in your last water param post that you do not mention PH. what is the current reading for PH? is there a supplier there known as fishempai? or something similar? (i hope they're still around) i think Canadian members have been able to purchase MetroMeds from there. if the course of current treatment ends and your fish still need medicating, then perhaps we should look into that as a possibility.

Main tank is now salted to 0.1%. Whether from the extra water change or the salt, the spot on the head has cleared up, so it just the burns now. I'm trying to avoid floatiness so still sticking with gel food-though it's an older version with broccoli and peas. But the skinny goldie has reverted back to being floaty today (It can swim down but with effort).

Water params today: ph 7.4, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5

P.S. Stakos, Fish Sempai is still around but no longer sells medi-gold or metro-meds. :(

Edited by Bluefish

Be careful with the broccoli. In some cases, it can make fish even more gassy.

Yep gotcha- going to make a new batch of gel food this weekend (collard greens, squash, red pepper, sardines) How long should I leave the salt (0.2%) in the main tank?

For possibly another week or two. How are they doing?