Can anyone here gender with one look

liberty

I might have posted in the wrong place sorry if i have.

I wondering if anyone here can just look at a fish a few minutes and be like thats a boy.

Because i kinda can at the pet store only with fish 3 inches up I am like 86 Percent acurate at gendering them

same as when I look at there vent even when there young im ussaully correct.

So can anyone here do that too but better

I find "86% accuracy" a very interesting number :rofl

My question is, how do you know about these fish at the LFS if they are male or female for sure? After all you will never find out, unless you buy all of them, so you'll never know if your initial guess was correct. Or maybe I am misunderstanding you?

• Supporter

thick top pectorial fins that can show breeding stars along with a tallish narrow vent indicates a male

thin top pectorial fins with a more stretched, rounder or diamond shaped vent indicates a girl..

sometimes you have duds in both genders, therefore you just end up with "goldfish" of the sooper loving kind ;)

• Supporter

not actually understanding where this is going. do you need help sexing a goldfish? or are you just opening conversation? if just discussing goldfish gender in general.. shall i move this post to general goldfish discussion forum? you may have more people join this discussion.

Pretty much what Helen said. . :)

When they are young it is pretty hard, over 1 inch body length it starts to become easier.

At this age my females have almost always had a rounder vent (enables easier passing of eggs) and finer fins (not just the top pectoral ray, they seem slightly finer in general) and when mature more they get fatter because of carrying eggs (this fluctuates though as they create and absorb them if not bred over the course of the year).

My males always had thicker pectorals (In particular the first ray, for carrying breeding stars) and a longer, skinnier vent. As they mature they develop breeding stars, which is generally confirmation that they are indeed males. Though I believe occasionally some males develop few to no stars.

In the long run the only way to be 100% sure is to breed (or strip in some cases) them. For example I suspected I had bought a male/female oranda pair recently. Male had some breeding stars, female was of the typical female look with fine pectorals and wide vent. This was confirmed a few nights later when they bred. The blue one has breeding stars and was the one chasing, so I know their genders.

My three telescopes were sexed as female, but as I never bred them I can never be 100% sure (Though to be honest I am 99% on it) and my pondfish are a mix. I have a male/female shubie pair (that I successfully sexed and was later proven when they were bred together in isolation) a sarasa comet pair (also male/female, my mothers fish and sexed correctly by her) a female fantail and previously a funny looking suspected male ryukin. We also have a bunch of young/undetermined fish at the moment from everyone breeding like mad.

lol i have the same problem babies everywhere anothe question i almost always get boys when i buy without looking are boys more common or somthing