New fish question

• * Ammonia Level: <.25ppm
  • * Nitrite Level: 0
  • * Nitrate level: 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.4
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater master test kit
  • * Water temperature? ~73 F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29g which has been running for about a week with donated filter/media and gravel from an established tank
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 110
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Right now (since its cycling) daily 25%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday 25%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 Ryukin about 3.5"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Top Fin water conditioner
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Haven't yet
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Ryukin is only fish and new
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Tetra Safe Start this morning
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? When first placed in tank, he zipped around everywhere, now he is sitting on bottom a lot and breathing heavily

I added my fish this afternoon. The tank isn't cycled yet so I'm keeping a close eye on the ammonia. He was very active when I first put him in and now (about 5 hours later) he's sitting on the bottom just breathing heavy. All the lights are off as well. I'm concerned because I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to ease his adjustment or if I should be very concerned. Is this par for the course with acclimating new fish or is this really concerning behavior? Thanks in advance for your help.

So it came in the mail today? Was it shipped by plane? My Eggbert was a little off for the first few days after she arrived, and I she was shipped overnight from California to Michigan.

If you can post a video, that might help.

So it came in the mail today? Was it shipped by plane? My Eggbert was a little off for the first few days after she arrived, and I she was shipped overnight from California to Michigan.

If you can post a video, that might help.

Ya, he was over-nighted from Cali. I really hope that's all it is. I would happily post a video but I wanted to keep the lights off to keep his stress level down. If you think it's worth the stress I'll put the lights on and get a video of him.

Just in case you weren't already planning on it, it's typically recommended to use to use prazipro along with .1% salt as a part of your QT process. You can order prazipro on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/PraziPro-oz---treats-480-Gallon/dp/B0006JLPC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335928284&sr=8-1

This is a relatively gentle med used to treat for flukes in new fish :)

I would actually start salting the tank now, but you will need to keep a very close eye on the ammonia when salting because the combo of salt and ammonia is not a good thing ;)

You can use aquarium salt or any salt that does not contain any additives or anti-caking agents (the morton's canning and pickling salt is a popular one). Until you get the prazi I would raise the salt to .3% (if you already have prazi you can start prazi + .1% salt, don't raise to .3% with prazi).

.1% salt = 1 tsp per gallon

to get to .3% you want to raise it slowly by .1% every 12 hours :)

Check your ammonia daily. When QTing a fish it is ideal to do a water change daily to every other day. When you change your water, add back in the amount of salt you removed (so if you have 90 tsp of salt in the tank and you do a 50% change, add back in 45 tsp).

I absolutely think Shawn's right about your little guy just being stressed. The prazi and the salt will just help to rule out other potential causes of odd behavior such as flukes.

I had considered that it could be Flukes. I think I'm going to wait it out a few days and see if it's just stress from shipping. If his behavior doesn't change, I'll look into Prazi and a salt treatment. Thanks for the advice!