Need help with sick Comet

You can use either aquarium salt (bought at any pet store) or regular salt that contains no additives or anti-caking agents. Morton's canning and pickling salt is one that you can find in most grocery stores that will be good for this purpose and it is much cheaper than buying aquarium salt. Here is a link that provides info on what salts are safe and dosing procedures: http://www.kokosgold...he-use-of-salt/

- When using salt you need to be very vigilant about the water quality, as salt can make any ammonia that might be present more toxic than it already is for your fish.

- You can start with .3% until you get the prazi (raise the salt slowly .1% every 12 hours - see link for more detailed info on this). You will need to drop it down to .1% when you treat with prazi as I outlined before.

- Ideally, it would be great if you could do daily water changes for the next week or two for your fish. If this is not possible for you I would try to do as many as you can throughout the week, with a once weekly large water change being the absolute minimum. Pristine water can make a world of difference for sick fish :)

When you get the prazi, follow the schedule I outlined previously :)

And please continue to try to get pics/video, clear images of the redness etc. will help us to better assess what is going on :)

Edited by tithra

I have asked my father to look into getting Prazi. I am also trying to convince him to start a salt treatment as well. However, Nubtail is dead. Her fins (what little she had) had turned red, and there were white lesions on her body. Her gills were possibly affected as well. Bacterial infection as a result of skin flukes? Will open her up later.

Since I last posted, treatment with Prazi has begun, and the Comet may be doing better! She is showing some interest in food, and the red is looking more like orange now. However, one of the Commons is dead. The other is doing just fine, as it always has.

I'm sorry to hear about your common :(

I am glad to hear the comet may be doing better though!

If you do choose to add another fish to replace the common, please remember to QT it in a separate tank for at least a month this time and you will want to do the salt + prazi regimen during the QT period :)

Sadly, the Comet passed away this morning. She had not been eating well lately, if at all. She sat on the bottom a lot, but would still move around, and normally, when she wanted to. She is LOOKING better though, aside from being dead - the red has completely disappeared from her body, indicating that she was responding to the Prazi. Still red on her fins and tail. Will open her up later, and will also ask my father to test the water in the tank, which still contains a Common.