Sign in to follow this  
conisaxx

What are my fishies doing?

I caught my first showing this behavior for the first time this morning...So I was wondering;

Is this some kind of spawning behavior?

Or is this agressive?

Or are they only playing around? ^^

I'm just curious about what you guys might think about it ;) Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpp8WcaQYNM

looks like it could be some spawning behavior :ehh

Based on the pics you posted here http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/99438-the-new-babies/page__p__1211092#entry1211092

your pearlie does look to be female, it's hard to tell sex for sure based on those pics for your calico, but given this behavior and it looks as though his pec fins are pretty thick, I would guess he is male ;)

Keep an eye on them. It doesn't look as though he is being to aggressive at this point, but if you find he is chasing her incessantly you may need to give her a break now and then by floating her in a colander or breeder basket :)

Oh god, I thought the pearlie was a boy and the fantail a girl... xD!

Do you know if it's possible to see this behavior even tho there isn't any breeding star and they are pretty small?

Thank you for the answer :)

The reason I think your pearlie is a lady (besides the behavior in the video) is that she has very thin pectoral fins, usually boys will have some thickness in the front of their pectoral fins (which is another area breeding stars can occur), but lady fish will have thin dainty pecs ;) EDIT: but I certainly could be wrong! :D

Many members here have reported breeding behaviors in young/small fish, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility... you may not have anything come of it though :)

Edited by tithra

Something I read on another website and that I found interesting:

Think of fish younger than 2yrs but older than 9 months as being teenagers going through puberty. Just like with us, as teens we can reproduce though it comes with greater risks to mother and child. Young goldfish very rarely spawn with much degree of sucess. Young goldies that are just starting to develop reproductive capabilities are driven by nature to "practice" though.