How to set up a betta tank?

pandamanda111

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a 50 watt aqueon heater in my betta tank :) I thought others used this brand in their tank as well (Fang maybe?) but I could be wrong.

yep my tank is 5 gallons. I have actually been through 4 different little heaters with this tank and I kept coming back to this one (the first one I bought)

okay :-/ then i guess i'll get a heater.

just wondering, i'm not questioning your knowledge at all, i totally understand that betas need that temperature, but why? Lots of people successfully keep betas without filters, so who thought of the idea that heaters are good for betas? :) (i hope that didn't come off as rude, i will get a heater. i was just wondering :) )

I'm glad you got some heater recommendations. :) I love Koko's. I just wanted to say, be careful with this reasoning. People have had goldfish live in unflitered bowls for years too. Doesn't meant it's what the fish need. They just happen to be very hardy and can survive terrible conditions.

okay :-/ then i guess i'll get a heater.

just wondering, i'm not questioning your knowledge at all, i totally understand that betas need that temperature, but why? Lots of people successfully keep betas without filters, so who thought of the idea that heaters are good for betas? :) (i hope that didn't come off as rude, i will get a heater. i was just wondering :) )

I'm glad you got some heater recommendations. :) I love Koko's. I just wanted to say, be careful with this reasoning. People have had goldfish live in unflitered bowls for years too. Doesn't meant it's what the fish need. They just happen to be very hardy and can survive terrible conditions.

Plus don't forget, people like I, who uses a heater only during the colder month, live in warm climates. During the summer, without heater all my tanks are at roughly 80F. The small betta tank usually is a couple degree higher. With the heater on, she'd be at 86F, which is a bit high IMO.

It also always depends on the fish itself. Some fish are very sensitive with all sort of things, currents, food, pH, bubbles, temperature. Like some will act ill if they are in slightly alkaline water, others will be pushed around by the current like a leaf in the wind, and others again will get sluggish as soon as the temperature drops below 76F.

I for my part have a very hardy betta. I got alkaline water with 7.8pH, there is some current in the tank, and the temperature over night can go down to 74F. But she doesn't care :rofl

I agree. I have one of those anubias and it would be way too tall for a betta tank (It is almost as tall as my 40), same with the hygro.

The xmas moss should be fine, but I will say that I have found it to grow pretty slowly even under high light, just as a heads up :)

My moss grows OK. But it's not a super-fast grower like hornwort.

I found it to be much slower growing than my flame moss or java moss when I had some, even under the 39 watts of light I have. I eventually just gave up on it actually. It is a really pretty moss though :)

But why does it matter if it grows, as long as it doesn't die? :)

What plants would you reccomend? :)

No, it certainly does not matter :) Just wanted to let you know my experience.

Any of the smaller anubias, anacharis (you can trim this to fit your tank without hurting the plant), val (I'll send you some of this though), any of the smaller crypts (I keep crypt parva in my tank), banana plant :)

But why does it matter if it grows, as long as it doesn't die? :)

What plants would you reccomend? :)

No, it certainly does not matter :) Just wanted to let you know my experience.

Any of the smaller anubias, anacharis (you can trim this to fit your tank without hurting the plant), val (I'll send you some of this though), any of the smaller crypts (I keep crypt parva in my tank), banana plant :)

Oh, cool! Thanks :)

Don't you dare go cutting all your pretty plants for me!! ;)

Are there a lot of kinds of crypts?