How to set up a betta tank?

pandamanda111

What lighting do you have on that tank? Just the lights it came with? And what filter? (sorry! I ask a lot of questions!)

Light and filter came with the tank. It's a nice LED light that keeps my plants growing like weed, and a mini filter that has adjustable flow rate. You can probably adjust it from having about 10x filtration down to 1x. I have mine set to roughly 3x.

Gotta run off to work now, I'll be back in about 6 hours :)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! That's so cool, fang! I really like the sound of this tank...but I love how the chi looks! How will I ever decide.,, but this one is cheaper, comes with a lid, has a good light for plants, and has an HOB filter...hmmm...I'm sort of leaning towards this one! ;) maybe 1 betta, 2 or 3 Otos, and a couple froggies? :) and a lot of plants too, of course!

Sounds good :)

Thanks a ton, Fang! :) have a nice day at work.

Oh, and fang, when you come back, what substrate do you have? Is it special plant substrate? :)

Ok, let me try to answer all your questions :D :

I have plain Tahitian Moon Sand, no fertilizers.

The filter is not a HOB, it is a Whisper mini in tank filter. Something like this, but a smaller size, and with the flow rate dial you can really tone it down to a very light current. It also has a couple suction cups on the back so you can set it as high or low and you need it. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p_18868_FS26781P_1.jpg

I simply seeded mine with media from the goldfish tanks.

Almost all of my fish, frogs etc are from Petsmart. :)

Otos:

No matter what tank you are getting, if you want to get otos I would have the tank fully set up (including plants) and running with only the betta for at least a couple months, so it can find its balance. Otos are very sensitive little fish because they are wild caught by means of using a low dose of cyanide to knock them out. As you can imagine, this weakens them very much, and the stress from shipping makes it even worse. When these fish arrive in your tank they are through a lot and very weak, and extremely sensitive to water conditions. At first, water changes can stress them out even more.

Because of that, wait a couple months after the tank is set up, and when you finally get the otos, be prepared that some of them might die.

Have steamed cucumber or zucchini available for them from day 1. They need to eat, eat, and eat to get their strength back. They might not go for algae immediately, especially when it's a new tank, it might not even have much algae at all.

Then when you do your first water changes, do them very gently to not stress the fish.

If they make it for a month, then they will probably survive for a while. :)

Otos like a lot of plants. I usually find them sucked to the glass or to a plant stem or leaf.

African Dwarf Frogs:

I love these guys. They are super cute and funny, but they are "special needs". First of all, the lid has to be frog proof. NO OPENINGS. My tank's lid has two larger openings, which I covered in ghetto style with the remains of a cut up fish net and some clear tape LOL I am planning on making it look more nicely with actual canvas. But any piece of netting (fishnet stocking etc) will prevent the frogs from escaping.

Frogs don't escape often, it usually happens by accident when the frog gets freaked. The problem is that although they have lungs and breathe air (they will swim up to the surface every once in a while to breathe), they are still aquatic and will simply dry out and die quickly when they are outside the water. Or get eaten by the cat or dog.

These frogs don't see very well, but rely on their nose to find food. Because of that, in a tank with fish they are often outrun by the fish at feeding time. I know mine would stand no chance against the betta LOL

As mentioned before, I scoop my betta up into a betta / mossball cup from petsmart, and have this float inside the tank while I feed the frogs. That takes about 30 mins every evening. During that time I also feed the betta inside her cup. Because of that, she is not too scared of it. She actually comes to the surface and then impatiently waits for food inside her cup LOL

The frogs can supposedly be fed on a fishfood diet, but I prefer actual frog pellets. Petsmart sells these really cheap in their Top Fin brand. HTH Frog and Tadpole Bites are supposed to be best, but I couldn't find them (although they are on the Petsmart website).

The frog bites seem a bit big, so I crumble them up a bit. They also LOVE blood worms and other frozen foods. Whenever I feed the frogs, the otos usually join in too for a small pellet treat.

The frogs like some sort of hiding places. Either some plants with larger leaves, a small sideways flower pot etc. Mine like to hang out behind the heater or behind/under the filter, or under the dwarf lilies.

Thanks so much for that long helpful response! :)

I'm sorry I ask so many questions. If it gets to be too much then feel free to tell somebody else to look at this thread.

Now, a couple more questions :P (last ones, I promise!)

-this is going to sound so beyond stupid, but if you wash your hands really really well, could you hold a frog for a little while? :)

-what if a frog doesn't catch one of the frog pellets, and the betta eats it? Is that bad?

-feeding all them sounds like a huge PITA. :P any way I could figure out something where I wouldn't have to remove the betta?

Thanks!

Mandie, if you have the space, this is a great little tank. Notice that it's long and shallow. You would get a great view of your betta, and he would have space to swim around. Also, the light is nice and bright (but not too bright) for plants. Bettas do love plants. This is the tank that we got for my daughter's glofish. I wanted one when I got a new betta tank, but it was too long for my desk. http://www.petco.com/product/14978/Petco-Bookshelf-Freshwater-Fish-Aquarium.aspx?Ntt=bookshelf&OneResultRedirect=1

I should say that the filter that came with ours was too loud, so I got an AC. But you might not need a heater. In our house, the tank stays at about 75. Our house is never cold and the light puts off enough heat to make it a little warmer than room temp.

Shawn, that is a REALLY nice tank!

Mandie, the frogs do not want to be removed from the water. They used to climb into my hands to be fed, as you can see in this topic http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/97097-frog-interaction/

You also see there how they freak when taken out of the water. Flopp panics when I lift her out.

The frog pellets generally aren't bad for the betta but they are a bit big and the betta could completely overeat on them or even choke (I read reports where smaller bettas actually choked on too big pellets).

I don't actually remove the betta. It takes me roughly 4 seconds to scoop her up into the betta cup, since I will just let it float at the surface inside the tank. If I don't forget, I'll make you a quick video later when I feed mine :) Everything else is no problem. The otos do need some veggies either way, and only very very very few bettas will care for veggies.

Here's our tank set up. The java ferns have gotten huge since this post!! The lighting is perfect for them. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96286-heres-the-glofish-tank-that-santa-is-bringing/page__hl__%2Bsanta+%2Bglofish__fromsearch__1

Here's my betta tank. Bettas really do love plants. Mine slinks around in the crypts, which are a super easy substrate plant. It's fun to see his antics. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/98864-new-betta-tank-from-the-edge-to-the-half-moon/page__hl__%2Bbetta+%2Bhalf+%2Bmoon__fromsearch__1

Hey :) anyone know if it's possible to set up a betta tank without a heater? I just saw that heater thread and I'm really scared of that happening :( I don't want to get an electric shock! My house doesn't really get that cold--no lower than 65, and during the day about 70. Is that okay?

okay :-/ then i guess i'll get a heater.

just wondering, i'm not questioning your knowledge at all, i totally understand that betas need that temperature, but why? Lots of people successfully keep betas without filters, so who thought of the idea that heaters are good for betas? :) (i hope that didn't come off as rude, i will get a heater. i was just wondering :) )

Don't be scared of the heater Mandie :) It's not a big deal. Get one of the aqueon pro heaters, they are really easy to set, are shatterproof and turn off when out of the water automatically. A betta should definitely have a heater and a filter. As you know, fish can be 'successfully' kept in pretty horrid conditions but there is a difference between surviving and thriving ;)

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/pro-heaters.htm