How to set up a betta tank?

pandamanda111

They will get pretty bored with nothing to do and explore, so don't forget you can also get fake plants, preferably silk ones and not plastic ones, since they tend to rip their fins really easily:)

I have simple lighting on my tank that was cheap, and I have no problem with plant growth since I added low maintenance plants, so that's another option you can also explore if you wanted to

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Artemia is brine shrimp! I just couldn't remember the name.

The chi comes with filter and light.

Since most are alone in their tanks they enjoy lots of plants (exploring and hiding spots).

I had a Betta with an apple snail in the chi and they were bffs. But that required way more maintenance because snails poop tons.

What are you thinking? Short tail male? Female? Long tail male? They all are different. Activity wise, the females and short tails are much more active and flexible. They also don't mind current. The longer tail ones tend to need to rest once in a while. Plus their tails can get ruined on the plants. I am quite loving my new females. They are VERY social and inquisitive. I swear the yellow one looks right in my eyes lol.

At petsmart the female bettas aren't pretty :( so a long tailed male :) are the lights that come with the chi good enough for plants? What kind of filter does it come with? Is it good enough? I love how the chi looks, but I'm worried about it not having a lid.

You can order the Chi lid on amazon.

The filter and lights are good. Just not for high light requiring plants. Anubias and ferns will do fine with it.

Edited by Captain Findus Goldfish

You have a planted chi, right? By any chance could you show me a few pics? I would love to have some swords, anubias, and moss balls. Would those do ok in a chi?

Does it have an undergravel filter?

Edited by pandamanda111

There are pics in the tank pic thread,

It's not really planted because I had very light substrate (which I now took out tho) the plants are attached to rocks. And I do also have mini moss balls. But i bought an extra light.

I don't think you get it in America. It's from a brand called Dennerle which specializes in aquascaping. It's a mini plant light. You can always add things as you go. I didn't get it right away.

Wal*mart sells some pretty inexpensive 5 gal. tanks. I just bought one yesterday for $26.99, it comes w/ a hood, lights, filter, and a few food samples.

You already got some great advice, but just in case, this is how I keep my betta and I am very happy with it.

She's in a 5 gallon Marineland Crescent 5 http://www.petsmart....oductId=2752372

It is acrylic, so it is very light when not filled. It has a decent LED light included (my plants flourish in there), a mini filter that has a little switch on it where you can change the flow from a little more than a light trickle to a decent flow. I got mine turned down to about 30% strength.

It already has a lid on it and keeps the tank warmer than the other tanks.

I do find the Fluval Chi prettier, but I prefer the larger surface area of the Marineland. From what I hear, the Marineland also is easier accessible than the Chi. You can easily take the light off and set it aside if you need a lot of room to work on the tank.

I use a Hydor Mini heater http://www.directaqu...att-p/11424.htm

This heater is shatter proof and won't even overheat too much when not submerged. I still unplug it during water changes though. I got the heater installed near the filter, so it will warm the tank more evenly instead of creating a hot pocket of water on one end.

I keep two otocinclus catfish in the tank, they keep the acrylic spotless. Just still gotta substitute with some veggies for them.

A good quality pellet as staple food is great, supplemented with blood worms, brine shrimp etc. Even some gel food for the goldfish is fine for them - if they like it. :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Thanks, fang! :)

That sounds like fun too! Don't those catfish need to be in groups of 6 or more though? I would love a couple.

Yes, but these two seem to be doing fine by themselves. They originally came from a trial group of 5 (didn't want to buy more because I kept reading about them dying so easily). After all five survived several weeks and seemed to have adjusted, I borrowed two of them for my betta tank, to clean the algae. But these guys seem to really like it in there, so I just let them stay :rofl

I'm probably gonna get a few more some time, and add one or two to the betta tank, and the rest to the big tank. :)

Until there is algae, would the catfish eat the same food as the betta?

Yes, mine eat pellets too BUT the problem is that bettas are just as greedy as goldfish, but a bit more aggressive. I have to confine my fish in the cup from a marimo moss ball (the way petsmart sells them) while I feed the otos and frogs, or she would eat up all their food and possibly explode in good old Michael Bay fashion.

It's easier with the otos to drop a piece of boiled cucumber, zucchini or lettuce in the tank. Most bettas will not care for veggies like that, but the otos will love it. :D

Oh, cool! Do they stick to the side all cutely like plecos? :)

Have any of yours died so far? I wonder if they sell them at petsmart...would cories work instead of Otos?

Yes, they do stick to the sides like ultra mini plecos. They only grow 1" to 1.5". http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/3059913039_e863400556.jpg and also to plants http://www.piranha-info.com/images/o_macrospilus_01.jpg

None of mine died. I read if they survive the first month, then you are usually fine.

Cories are too big. They grow to be 2-4" depending on type and gender, and are much bulkier than otos. You need at least a 10 gallon tank for a small group, plus cories usually don't clean the glass or stick to it. They stay on the bottom and sometimes on the plants :)

Oh, cool! Do they stick to the side all cutely like plecos? :)

Have any of yours died so far? I wonder if they sell them at petsmart...would cories work instead of Otos?

Yes, they do stick to the sides like ultra mini plecos. They only grow 1" to 1.5". http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/3059913039_e863400556.jpg and also to plants http://www.piranha-info.com/images/o_macrospilus_01.jpg

None of mine died. I read if they survive the first month, then you are usually fine.

Cories are too big. They grow to be 2-4" depending on type and gender, and are much bulkier than otos. You need at least a 10 gallon tank for a small group, plus cories usually don't clean the glass or stick to it. They stay on the bottom and sometimes on the plants :)

Gotcha :) did you get your Otos at petsmart? :)

How many frogs do you have in the 5? :) now I'm getting mixed answers! :P

If I just fed the catfish cucumber, would I need to separate the betta at all? :)

No frog in a 5 gal

How many frogs do you have in the 5? :) now I'm getting mixed answers! :P

If I just fed the catfish cucumber, would I need to separate the betta at all? :)

No frog in a 5 gal

Mine are African DWARF frogs. They are ultra tiny, at about 1" body length. The majority of articles I read about these says that they can be kept in 2.5 gallons and up. :) I wouldn't keep more than 2 in a 5g though. I have a ton of plants in mine, and a light filter, some hiding places. If it was a rather bare 5g, I would never keep a betta, two otos and two frogs in this tank. It always depends a lot on the setup too.

Forgot to mention in my original post, I do 50% w/c weekly on that tank :)