How to set up a betta tank?

pandamanda111

Thanks a lot guys, you guys are making me want a betta :P

I'm trying to convince myself that I don't want one, because I know that goldfish are 20 million times more fun, but I figured I would post here to get an idea of how much maintenance they require. :)

So, let's start off with 13 billion questions ;)

Assuming I got a 5g tank...

-would I need to cycle the filter before I got the betta just like with goldfish?

-how often do I need to do a wc?

-what tank do you recommend? (preferably something under $50...I will probably have to pay with my own money)

-I love the chi...have a lot of you had problems with bettas jumping out?

-do bettas need bubblers?

-are HOB filters best for bettas?

-can I feed them the gel food I make for Bert and Ernie? (my goldfish). If not, what food should I buy it? :)

Sorry so many questions. I'm just not sure if I want one or not :)

Thanks a ton! :)

-Mandie

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 5 gallon tank to me seems like the minimum size, since tropical tanks tend to fluctuate temperature wise. You would need to cycle the tank, and a lid would be preferable.

Heres a blog I made a while ago, there is a link for setting up a tank and what you would need :)

http://bettakeeping.blogspot.com.au/

I love to enable answer questions!

-would I need to cycle the filter before I got the betta just like with goldfish?

Nope! You have cycled filter media sitting right there. Just steal a bit of it for your new filter and you're instantly cycled.

I do once a week, but there have been times I have let it slide for two weeks. Bettas put out a lot less waste than goldies. They're pretty hardy too. The more water volume you have, the more wiggle room you have.

-what tank do you recommend? (preferably something under $50...I will probably have to pay with my own money)

I have one betta in a Chi and one in a 10g aqueon starter kit like you find at Petco. I found my Chi used for $20, and I spent $12 on the lid. Nobody jumped out before I got the lid, but it never hurts to be safe. The aqueon doesn't have a full lid either, but no jumping.

No, in fact, it's best not to have one for them. They don't like too much current, and they breathe air so you don't have to aerate the water so much.

They're fine. :) Don't forget a heater! Bettas need warm water.

-can I feed them the gel food I make for Bert and Ernie? (my goldfish). If not, what food should I buy it? :)

Bettas should have more protein than goldies, but you could definitely feed gel food and supplement with something meaty like frozen blood worms. I feed mine hikari betta pellets and blood worms. However, when I run out of this I will get something better. Hikari changed their formula so it isn't as good anymore. NLS makes a betta pellet.

I love to enable answer questions!

Nope! You have cycled filter media sitting right there. Just steal a bit of it for your new filter and you're instantly cycled.

I do once a week, but there have been times I have let it slide for two weeks. Bettas put out a lot less waste than goldies. They're pretty hardy too. The more water volume you have, the more wiggle room you have.

I have one betta in a Chi and one in a 10g aqueon starter kit like you find at Petco. I found my Chi used for $20, and I spent $12 on the lid. Nobody jumped out before I got the lid, but it never hurts to be safe. The aqueon doesn't have a full lid either, but no jumping.

No, in fact, it's best not to have one for them. They don't like too much current, and they breathe air so you don't have to aerate the water so much.

They're fine. :) Don't forget a heater! Bettas need warm water.

Bettas should have more protein than goldies, but you could definitely feed gel food and supplement with something meaty like frozen blood worms. I feed mine hikari betta pellets and blood worms. However, when I run out of this I will get something better. Hikari changed their formula so it isn't as good anymore. NLS makes a betta pellet.

Wow, Elli! That was really nice of you! Thank you so much! :)

Wow, how did I forget about seeding the filter? ;)

A few more questions...(sorry!)

-what size heater for a 5 gallon tank? (a petsmart link would be great!)

-bloodworms totally gross me out :( any other protein I could feed it?

Ps- I don't want to buy a fancy light system or anything. I don't get enough allowance ;) would my betta be sad in a non planted tank? Do they need places to hide? If I got a 5g, could I also get a froggy? :)

Edited by pandamanda111

I think people suggest this foood : here

I haven't tried it myself though.

And this is my favorite heater : here

I have many of these that are years old and have never had a problem. They work like a charm and I will never buy another heater.

Perfect! Thank you!

Heaters have always scared me a little, the thought of putting an electric heater in water...well, none of you have died from it, guess I'll be fine ;)

Well, the fact that they are made for tanks... :P But they can still malfunction- so they aren't completely safe ;)

with the food, a brand I really like to use is called Hikari. They make some great foods for bettas, and they last for a while too. I also like to give mine blood worms once a week as a treat, but I only give them about 5 worms each. They digest their food a lot slower than goldfish, and heat also plays an integral part in keeping their digestive systems functioning, so keep the water nice and warm, and only feed a few pellets (3-4) a day, or if you are using gel food, feed a piece the size of their eye once or twice a day, depending on how dense the food is

Edited by Narny105

Haha I am not sure Mandie, I doubt it ;) I meant like they can overheat or break, just like how a filter can break :P

A lot of heaters are pretty much safe from producing currents in the water now anyway, since a lot automatically will stop working if something were to go wrong.

Edited by Narny105

I have done that too, I left the heater on after I removed it and it burnt the table a little, but I turned it off and let it cool before adding it back in the tank and it was fine :) I have put one straight in the tank without realising and the bottom blew off in the water :/ it sucked haha.

Yep, some betta foods have a lot of protein in them, same with brine shrimp

Edited by Narny105

I have put one straight in the tank without realising and the bottom blew off in the water :/

Wait, what? I don't get it ;) oh, and you spelled realiZing wrong, silly Aussies. :rofl jk ;)

Edited by pandamanda111

I have put one straight in the tank without realising and the bottom blew off in the water :/

Wait, what? I don't get it ;) oh, and you spelled realiZing wrong, silly Aussies. :rofl jk ;)

haha lol, I so spelt it right :P

I mean my heater, when you leave them on outside of the tank or when the water level is low, they will overheat, and if you don't let them cool back down, the difference in water temperature and the glass causes them to crack and break off. Some heaters, like Ashley said switch off automatically, but I have always stuck to what I could afford at the time :)

Ps- I don't want to buy a fancy light system or anything. I don't get enough allowance ;) would my betta be sad in a non planted tank? Do they need places to hide? If I got a 5g, could I also get a froggy? :)

You can otherwise feed Artemia.

Or just make a gel with a higher amount of protein. I found my bettas to be healthier with lots of variety. Sometimes they even get veggies.