I was bad on Thursday...

...and I got another betta. xP

I saw him at the store on Tuesday,and fell in love with him. But not his price. And I didn't know where I was going to put him.

When he was still there Thursday, and with the poor things fins looking a bit worse, the manager let me have him for half price.

So, time to meet Edgar!

cd2892f3.jpg

8d9a9cb5.jpg

4b99397e.jpg

Please excuse the fins/bowl (at least it's a 2G). I'm working on fixing that. He was in with 1tsp of salt since last night,and a 1G water change happened a short time ago,no new salt added this time. I'm going to try to do large water changes daily or at least every other day,and hopefully that will stop whatever is ailing him. If not, I'll be breaking out the salt and meds. =/

As for the bowl situation,I've got a 6G that I could set up,providing it holds water and the small air-powered filter still works. That and if/when I can convince my dad to find said filter...xP

Yeah,when I changed the water earlier tonight I didn't add any salt back in,so whatever is left in there is a small amount. My main reason for adding it at all was to try to kill whatever was eating his fins,since it was getting worse and worse daily since I got him.

He's so pretty! He'd be considered a dumbo, because he has big "ears" :P You might consider Maracyn (not sure 1 or 2, though, but I think you can mix them. Double check me on that!!) to heal up his fin rot. Its really bad, I've never seen it that bad before...

I think I have a packet or two of Maracyn 2, plus possibly a packet of Tetracycline.

xD Do you think he could be stunted because of his pectorals being that big,or is it just a halfmoon thing?

Nope, thats why he's a "dumbo," because he has big pectoral fins :)

I've never had to deal with this bad of fin rot, so I'm sure sure which would be best... I would soak his food in garlic, in the mean time. Chop up a bit of fresh garlic and put it and some of his pellets in a bit of water from his bowl, let it sit for a few minutes, then just dump the whole thing in. If the garlic pieces are small enough, he might eat them, too, other wise, just don't let the pieces actually make it into the bowl. They usually stick to the side of the container anyway.

:Congrats: on your beautiful fish! :)

He's so pretty! He'd be considered a dumbo, because he has big "ears" :P You might consider Maracyn (not sure 1 or 2, though, but I think you can mix them. Double check me on that!!) to heal up his fin rot. Its really bad, I've never seen it that bad before...

Akari, I am very glad you are trying to help and be an active part of this forum, but I will need to inform you of several things. I say this now as a member of the moderating team.

1. As pertains to this forum, we prefer to go from most gentle and effective to the harsh methods. So, when salt and other less harsh means are available, we do not immediately recommend a med. Fin issues with bettas most of the time can be dealt with by salt or some other less harsh means. At least, those should be attempted first.

2. You should have a lot of experience in treating with the med, or have spent a considerable amount of time learning about it before suggesting something. It is very inappropriate to make suggestions of meds, but then being unsure of which med exactly. When it comes to the Maracyns (and some others), this could be extremely dangerous. Maracyn 2, when used inappropriately, could lead to severe kidney damage. Maracyn (1) is not appropriate for fish in most cases.

3. The appropriate forum to make suggestions for treatment is D&D. In that forum, you can help the OP to explain the situation, including gathering crucial info such as parameters and maintenance and stocking. You could make a suggestion for the OP to start a thread there, and that would be much appreciated.

Please understand that we are all trying to ensure a good experience for all, and that includes being very careful with what we offer as suggestions. Thank you.

Edited by dnalex

Alex, we were kinda of talking about him (and getting his fins better) in another thread. This is just a bit of a continuation of that other conversation lol

I do understand, but keep those points in mind from this day forward. Remember that there will be others who will see this thread but not necessarily the other where you've had prior discussions, and they will take your suggestion at face value.

Alex, we were kinda of talking about him (and getting his fins better) in another thread. This is just a bit of a continuation of that other conversation lol

I do understand, but keep those points in mind from this day forward. Remember that there will be others who will see this thread but not necessarily the other where you've had prior discussions, and they will take your suggestion at face value.

Will do! I'm good at forgetting people aren't mind readers, nor do they all look at the same threads I do lol Wasn't trying to confuse anyone, or anything :)

Will do! I'm good at forgetting people aren't mind readers, nor do they all look at the same threads I do lol Wasn't trying to confuse anyone, or anything :)

I understand. Sometimes my enthusiasm gets ahead of me, too. :)

Thanks guys. :3

He seems a bit more active and not hiding in his pot as often than the past couple days, so I'm taking that as a sign of either he's feeling better or adjusting to being in a new place.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a dumbo betta...=o

He seems a bit more active and not hiding in his pot as often than the past couple days, so I'm taking that as a sign of either he's feeling better or adjusting to being in a new place.

Thats good :) Even if its not him necessarily feeling better, and him just getting used to new surroundings, that will over all help him to getting to feel better, as he won't be so stressed out. :)

Yep! They're also called "Big-Eared" bettas. They are becoming quite popular on AB. I'd say go check it out, but I think you might not live to tell us what you will inevitably end up with if you bought another fish :rofl3

Thats good :) Even if its not him necessarily feeling better, and him just getting used to new surroundings, that will over all help him to getting to feel better, as he won't be so stressed out. :)

Yep! They're also called "Big-Eared" bettas. They are becoming quite popular on AB. I'd say go check it out, but I think you might not live to tell us what you will inevitably end up with if you bought another fish :rofl3

xD I'd have to send my ghost to tell you all!