Sign in to follow this  
little_washu

I finally made the plunge

I finally set up my 29g tank (my first one). I'm expecting my first goldfish to arrive later this week! He's a tri-color Ryukin and I'll definitely post pictures when he arrives. I decorated the tank this afternoon and wanted to see what you all thought ^^

IMG0414-XL.jpg

Wow, I really like that! I'm not one for "fancy" backgrounds (I like plain black or blue ones!) but your tank just looks perfect! =D Come do mine next :P

Oh, that's pretty! Like a Japanese garden. It will be so calming to watch your fish swimming around in there. You'll have to post new pics once he arrives!

It's very pretty, and tranquil!

Is your tank cycled? If not, you may want to delay getting fish, and cycle your tank first. This process can take several weeks to a couple of months, unfortunately, but it protects your fish from getting damage by toxic nitrogenous products.

Here's a little bit on cycling

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

I was able to get the gravel and filter from a fellow aquarist that already has a biofilter set up. The day I set it up, all the levels look excellent. I'll monitor them over the week to make sure they remain constant but I think I have my bases covered, right?

It is beautiful, great job decorating it.

You will need ammonia to keep the cycle-when is the fish arriving?

I was able to get the gravel and filter from a fellow aquarist that already has a biofilter set up. The day I set it up, all the levels look excellent. I'll monitor them over the week to make sure they remain constant but I think I have my bases covered, right?

I think so. You need to "feed" the filter by adding some bits of fish food, or about 1ppm of ammonia. The latter choice is better, if you are able to get unscented, non-sudsing ammonia from a hardware store. This way, you'll know that your cycle is ready, as well :)

Ah, ok. I will pick some up tomorrow and add a little ammonia to the water to make sure the biofilter is "well-fed". Thanks for the advice!

Ah, ok. I will pick some up tomorrow and add a little ammonia to the water to make sure the biofilter is "well-fed". Thanks for the advice!

If you're unsure about what kind to get, give it a shake! If it foams at the top, put it back :thumb:

that looks fantastic! :D

Ooo, I love it! I want a Japanese garden in my tank too!!

That is a Gorgeous Tank Setup :) I LOVE it :) Good luck with your First Goldfish :) They are very fun to have and to watch :) I would love to see a full tank video when your new baby arrives :) I bet it will be amazing :)

Thats a real pretty tank. be careful if those are hollow ornaments :(

I looked more into the issues of hollow ornaments (of which both of mine are). As a precaution I'm going to fill both of them with gravel and seal them this week before my fishy goes in. Thanks for the advice!

Also thanks to everyone for their compliments and advice!

I looked more into the issues of hollow ornaments (of which both of mine are). As a precaution I'm going to fill both of them with gravel and seal them this week before my fishy goes in. Thanks for the advice!

Oh good. I had very bad times with hollow anything in my tanks. Just not worth the risk :(

Make sure you give it plenty of time to dry :thumb:

Oh good. I had very bad times with hollow anything in my tanks. Just not worth the risk :(

Make sure you give it plenty of time to dry :thumb:

After trying to fill the tree, I've discovered that the top has lots of hidden outlets for air to escape so I'm thinking of adding an airstone. It will probably look pretty nice and would solve my problem. I'll post a new pic once I add that.

Edited by little_washu