Sign in to follow this  
BriansMom

OMG HELP! Huge red pus sore out of nowhere!

When was the last time he was exposed to Epsom? I'm just collecting random bits of info, just in case.

I think he needs Metro-Meds to relieve the floatiness, but before that, we have to help him eat again, which means salt to 0.3% until he can actually hold his food. Unfortunately, this could be a while. Have you tried brine shrimp or frozen blood worms? We want him to have a little bit of nourishment as he heals. Once it gets to about a week and he absolutely hasn't eaten anything, then we may need to help him by syringe feeding.

I have never had to use epsom for any of my fish. And I havent tried the worms or fish yet. I actually dont know where I can find any to be honest. Is it possible to order something like that? I have freeze dried ones but that is it and they are super fine and float.

They should be available at virtually every LFS, including Petco and Petsmart.

Good to know you've never used Epsom :)

I know, I have considered myself lucky! Although have experienced my fair share of other issues. Ha!

Well, the nearest pet store for me is over an hour drive and with starting a work week tomorrow, I am not sure the next time I will be able to get some :/ I suppose I will see how he eats tomorrow and then go from there.

As always, thanks!

You could try really mushing the peas to extremely small pieces. It's going to cloudy up and dirty your water faster this way, but it might be a way to get him to eat a little of something...

Ugh he still wont eat! :'( And mushed them up as small as I could. I assume he wouldnt eat shrimp or worms either? Is there any other way to help his gills out or kill off what is bothering them? Or just give it a few more days?

Edited by Thea

Quick question- I am cleaning my tank now, gonna do a 90% change. I know to add the salt that I took out or whatever but how should I add it back in? Should I just slowly pour it in as it fills back up again? Because Its going to be a lot of salt so I dont want to cause any shock.... Sorry my brain wheels are on over drive today, just want to make sure :P

Nevermind, I got it all changed. Of course greg KINDA got in the suction just a teeny bit. Not enough to worry but enough for me to a heart attack and a small mark on him.

I am seriously so frustrated with all this. IDK how much more I can handle :no: And no, he is still not eating. Before he would attempt to chew but he doesnt even bother anymore

I'm sorry. At this point, all we can do is just wait and hope he will recover. :(

I believe tomorrow makes it a week with no eating. And he still is spitting out the peas which I squish up as fine as possible, its pure mush and he just wont take it. What do you think about me starting the metro meds via syringe? He wouldnt last month and I was doing that and I can make it into a liquid so it would go down more easily?

You can try it, if you like. I hope it will work :)

Ok, I think I will after I get done with work. I'm so frustrated at this point, I will do anything.

Did I mention he feels a bit softer on the stomach than I think he should be? Not as bad as before, but soft enough to drive me crazy!!!

Well I syringe fed him metro. He swallowed as much as he did last month so I feel a little better. I made it super runny and I bet he got almost half down (I did a whole syringe worth)

I know you guys are going to kill me but I am going to do this in my main tank :ignore Work has been so stressful, I just cant handle a qt and water changes daily and what not. It is just too much and I am so exhausted! I have carbon in my filter to help....

What do you think is causing the floatiness where he would need metro?

It could be from an infection of the swim bladder, OR a profusion of fermenting bacteria in the gut.

I'm not going to yell at you about doing this in the main tank, but I do want you to know that it does carry considerable risks.

No changes yet with Greg (I think I should start calling her Greta because im almost positive its a girl)

I think she is taking down the MM pretty well, I am confident it is at least getting somewhat into her. I did some feeling around after feeding her and she is soft right below her vent. Not super soft, just in a certain area almost a verticle line down the middle. I still havent seen a poop :/ She seems to be a bit more active too, often swimming to the bottom but she definitely is at the top most the time.

Fins crossed! I am glad brian is keeping her company. Its kind of sweet to see, I like to believe they are bonding to help me get through this :) But of course he has to take turns and goes and sits with toby at the bottom.

Edited by Thea

Its hard to say, I paid attention this morning when I did it.

I ground up 25 pellets into water, and I would say that is about average. He took in maybe a third or half of it so maybe 8-12 pellets? I have done this 4 times a day the past two days. So I am guessing anywhere between 30-45 pellets?

Well, still no changes what so ever... I just have a strong feeling he isnt going to make it this time :cry1

I'm sorry, Thea :(

Alex,

If you dont mind me asking, what would you personally do if you were in my shoes? Im not asking literally what should I do, but if you were me and he was still like this in a week or in a month, would you euthanize? Or maybe he wouldnt even make it that long, I am not sure. I just have a hard time distinguishing between the qualities of life and when it becomes too much. I know its all a personal opinion, but I am curious on what you think. I am just getting frustrated with stuff happening to my fish all the time when I am so committed to keeping their tank perfect!

That's a tough question, but at least for me, I just can't bring myself to euthanize, unless they are no longer eating, and it's clear of what the eventual outcome's going to be.

You make a very important point about the health of the rest of your set up. This is why breeders sometimes have to make the very difficult decision to take action before the rest of the fish are in jeopardy.

Whatever decision you make, it's the right one, because you've spent quite a bit of time considering this. I also know that you of all people have spent a heroic amount of time caring for "special needs" fish.

I dont do well with death AT ALL, especially with a loved pet :( I dont want to make any decisions but I hope that either he gets a lot better or dies naturally from all this. He just doesnt seem happy at all, no quality of life. I know I said that about Toby at one time, but all this has shown me that Toby is perfectly fine.

He still is spitting up his peas I try to feed him but he is due for a water change. Do I continue salt at .3 then? Is there anything else I can do to help his gill irritation?

We can try a waterborne meds, but I'm not sure that it will make things any faster than the salt :(