OMG HELP! Huge red pus sore out of nowhere!

BriansMom

Well, I think that you should definitely wait, to see how he does in the next few days. As for probiotics, I think it's helpful, because it aids in re-establishing the gut flora after being wiped out by antibiotics. It isn't necessary, but definitely helpful. :)

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok sounds good! He isnt liking them either, but if he is hungry, he has no choice!

One more question... He has a hole in his back fin and was red for a few days but seems ok now. I am guessing he was stuck to the filter again :( Just salt for that?

Hello :)

No big updates on Greg. He is still head standing but is more so towards being upside down. Does that make sense? But he does it in the corner of the tank all caught up in the fake tree I put in front of the filter. He just floats there head down/belly up for hours. I just gave him a ton of peas. I cant get him to eat the jump start at all and it disintegrates so quickly so I feel like I have no benefit and really dirty water. Is it worth syringe feeding him it?

I guess I just want to make sure all of this is somewhat normal and if there is anything I should be looking out for? Its been a few days so I didnt know if he is ready to go back in his home or not.

My most important question..... If this head standing stuff is caused from kidney damage, is it most likely permanent and he will always be upside down? I dont want another special fish :( I love them but they break my heart because they seem so miserable!

Unfortunately, only time will tell. I am hoping that this is not something permanent, but there is nothing that I know right now that could tell you that it is or it's not :(

Ok thanks Alex :)

I think I will move him back in the 50 tomorrow if you think that is ok. He seems fine besides being floaty and I am having a hard time preventing him from getting caught in the filter so I think it feels like a good time. :alc

I shouldnt be so frustrated with having him be a little special now, after all he made it through all this

you could order some pro gold food it has probiotic in the food. I have read it is one of the best food for Gold fish and it is made here in the USA. I think in MN if I remeber right.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Greg has been in the 55g for about a week now, I put him in there the day before I went on vacation and I just got back. He looks and acts the same from when I left, has a hard time swimming because he is constantly head standing. So he doesnt swim much and has his favorite spot to hang out.... RIGHT against the filter so his fins are constantly being sucked by the intake. :doh11: My bf did a great job when i was gone, and did 2 water changes because the water keeps getting so green. But he didnt do anything about keeping him away from the filter so his back fins are getting quite beat up. Really white and shredded looking on the ends. Will clean water be enough to help him heal?

And any advice on how to cover the filter intake but doesnt affect the filtration? I put decor around it but he pushes them out of the way to hang out by it.

Edited by Thea

Didnt even know they made those! It was what I was picturing in my head but was trying to think of a DIY option. Glad they make those because I am not very creative.

• 2 weeks later...

Greg is stuck at the top belly up since yesterday, seems to be ok other than that. I tried feeding him peas but he spit them out, so should I just fast him? I really hope this doesnt become permanent..... Poor Brian either sits on the bottom next to Toby or floats at the top with Greg. He just wants a friend!

Still at the dang top and is clearly so frustrated! Poor little fring. I tried peas again just because I am curious why he wont eat and he still spit them out. And he just pooped the longest, thinnest thing I have ever seen. Probably a foot long and hair thin. Gosh my little buddy is having a rough few months.

I know. Poor guy!

Is he off by himself or with others? I'm thinking that you will need to salt to 0.3% (incrementally, of course) to help him rid whatever is bothering his gills. This could take a while, so in the meantime, try to give him smallish and soft things like frozen blood worms (not too many) to keep him going.

No, not because he won't eat, but because he spits food out. If he's not eating, it could be that he's constipated or experiencing some other issues.

Spitting food out means that there is some irritation in his mouth and/or gills. If it's new pellet food, I would have suggested soaking the food for bit because may be it's too hard. However, if it's regular food and he's doing this, then it's irritations, which could come from gill or mouth infections.

Oh yes, I was assuming with the spitting out part rather than not eating. Yeah, nothing has changed with his food at all so it must be irritation. I wonder what would be bothering them.... I also noticed that one of his "pom pom things" by his eyes is not there anymore. When it rains, it pours for him!

The problem sometimes is that when a fish is sick, and sick for a long while, his immune system is stressed not working at optimum. This allows for other opportunistic things to act.

The irritations could be bacterial or parasitic in origin, and so salt is the safest bet.

That makes sense. And I imagine what is bothering his gills, isnt making him float so he has more than one thing against him right now. I am heading out of town in 10 hours, would that be too soon to go up to .2%? I think you usually suggest 12 hours so should I do it in 10 or wait until tomorrow night?

Thanks Alex!!!

Just wanted to quick update that there arent any changes yet :(

He still refuses to eat/swallow and is still belly up at the top. Errr! I am now at .3% and hoping things will get better soon. Is there anything else I can do for him? And do you think he will eventually not float at the top just by fasting?