Sign in to follow this  
BriansMom

OMG HELP! Huge red pus sore out of nowhere!

Years I'm so glad he's feeling better!

No greg updates but I have a question on Brian...

So my params have been consistantly good the past 2 weeks in my 55. Always 0-0-5ish and have been doing large water changes every other day to be sure they dont get sick. Now Brian bottom sits every now and then through out the day. But its only when Toby is by him, he will go lay by him. He has no physical problems and seems perfectly normal when he isnt on the bottom. Its just only when Toby is by him, he will lay with him.

Any ideas?

I just want to make sure I shouldnt be giving him MM too if he has what greg has

Or do fish ever bond?

Edited by Thea

Fish will copy each other, to some extent. That's one reason why it's really annoying to have a surface gulper. Once one does it, chances are good that the others will follow suit.

Im still having troubles getting him to eat as much as he should. He has been really head first the past two days so I fed him peas and he loved them. Would it be a bad idea to add a little of the metro powder to the peas? Hes definitely not getting enough daily so I thought maybe it would be a little boost.

Still no change. I know I said he wasnt soft a few days ago but I must have missed a spot because he still is soft in areas. Still not his happy self and I got home from work today and he was stuck to the filter by his back fins. Blah.... Hoping for improvements soon. Its been 2 1/2 weeks now on the MM.

You can feed him metro coated peas :)

Good luck!

Awesome, I wasnt expecting anyone to say yes with it being so hard to tell how much it is! I fed him 1 with a TEENSY amount of metro. I'll give him another, how much metro? Fully coated?

- Thanks for the super fast reply! And I love your chihuahua:) Mine bit at a bee yesterday and is a little swollen/cute hehe

I think within reason, the coating should not pose any problems. I am more interested in getting the metro in him. :)

Thanks for the compliment. He's spoiled rotten lol

I love the color change on your fish. Glad things are going better.

I have a lot of head standing going on for the past week. Can I just continue with peas/metro only? I have a week left and he doesnt eat much of the MM. Im nervous I am going to have another fish with SBD problems :(

Anything else I can do?

Yes, go ahead and stop Metro-Meds. Can you feel his belly? Is it still soft? It may be that you intervened in time to stop the internal infection, but he is sustaining some kidney damage, which can manifest in head standing.

I just checked and it feels A LOT better than before. I think its back to normal but its hard to know what he felt like before. Is kidney damage something that he wouldnt be able to live through? Or I guess what I am asking, is it something that results of the infection and he will always be a little sensitive and different... or does it mean there is still a chance he might not make it?

I'm sure you dont exactly know either. I just read what you say, but dont exactly know what it means :)

I think in all likelihood it makes him a little more sensitive and more tilty, as he is now. With kidney issues, it could be permanent, or it will just take its time to get back to normal. I am inclined to suggest stopping the metro in the water as well, since it looks like the belly has firmed up. Just give him extra WCs and TLC :)

What do you think?

I think you know best! So I will do whatever you suggest :)

Do I wait another week (month total) to bring him back to the 50g? And I still feed him metro, correct?

LOL. I wish I do know best :rofl

How has he been on Metro-Meds? You are certain that his belly is firm, and that there is nothing else worry other than the headstanding? If that is the case, I would like to just cease all medications and just go with nice clean water, changed daily if possible :)

Well nothing concerns me besides stopping treatment too early. But if firm belly means good to go, then I would be happy to stop. He is more than happy to eat the peas with metro in it with but I have a really hard time getting him to eat the MM. I was syringing but lately he will eat them... eventually.

Once he is done being medicated, does he continue it QT?

I go to CA next friday for a week and I am nervous to leave him!

Why don't you leave him in QT for a few more days and see how he does, and go from there? I think that given that he's been on the medications for a while, it's definitely time to stop :)

Ok, sounds good! :D

I am going to get some agar and make them some food soon. There is an asian grocery store an hour away, you think they carry it? And how to a pronounce it for when I ask them and dont make a fool of myself? Aye-gar? Ah-gar?

Ill stick with pellets and peas for the next few days

Ah-gar

I just remembered that MJbubbles sent me some of the jump start food as well (thanks again if you see this!!!) So should I feed him that now? And for how long?

Jumpstart is probiotic food, and it's recommended that you feed this for 2-4 weeks. However, with some fish, Jumpstart appears to make them very floaty. If you find that to be the case, discontinue and just go with what you normally feed :)

I had issues with one fish on jumpstart, but my other two were fine. It just depends on the fish.

How beneficial is the probiotics? I would like to skip them all together but if it proves to be helpful in helping him out, I will. It is just that I am so sick of hand feeding different foods to my fish, and I cant imagine doing it for another few weeks! And since he is already head standing and I am SO sick of SBD issues that I dont want to even risk it!

However, I am nervous I am ending Tx too early with how soft he was at the start, that maybe it would be helpful.

Also, would it be stupid of me to add him to my tank now? I know you suggested I keep an eye on him for a few days but I am so eager to get him out of the 10g! He is such a big boy, he cant move much in there so I feel so bad for him :(

-Do I come off as impatient? ;) Probably because I am :)

Edited by Thea