Sign in to follow this  
BriansMom

OMG HELP! Huge red pus sore out of nowhere!

If we are heading in the right direction, you should see improvements within a week of starting medication. I do believe that we are at least partly on the right path, as the sore is getting better and better :)

However, as for the soft belly, I think that this is something that will take some time, especially because we may have only discovered a tad late. Nevertheless, let's do what we can to help him, and hope for the very very best :)

Woo Hoo!! Should I continue with Melafix until the 7 days are up? Now that the sore is gone, I am just concerned why he wont eat since I thought he was uncomfortable before with that huge sore... but now its gone and he still wont eat :( He seems eager to eat but the second he takes it in, he spits it out. UGH! Whether I break it up, crush it, or syringe it.

Anyways, I guess it is just a waiting game! Hope for the best, expect the worse....

Edited by Thea

Yes, let's continue the Melafix for the 7 days, and then reassess to see if it's needs to be continued.

Do you have any luck with feeding him by syringe?

Not so much, I did it and it went in fine and when I would set him back in the water he would spit it out right away. Suggestions?

The water gets dirty so fast, I am going through melafix/salt like crazy with all my water changes!

Edited by Thea

Hopefully, Helen will check in soon. To be honest, I am horrible at syringe feeding, and I make a huge mess every time :(

Haha well I am glad I am not the only one. I think I am going to go try it again! I kind panic when I do it as much as he does. Hes pretty big so its hard to get a good grip but if I try to readjust i feel his stomach and it freaks me out! And hes wiggley so its quite the scene. Ha!

Wish me luck :S

I wonder if I added some garlic if he would be more likely to eat it...

Good luck! Garlic is good, in so many ways lol, so it's definitely worth adding! :D

I officially have green cloudy water. I would squeeze it in, let it sit for 5 seconds and then it just shoots out like a fountain before hes even all the way back in the water.

Ridiculous.

Ill see if Helen has any suggestions but I am sure I am doing about as much as I can. I'll see how his appetite is later....

Edited by Thea

I think the 1 I tried was 1cc-an insulin needle. Are you just holding his mouth out of the water to do it? Can you lower him back in but not release him until he's 'finished chewing' it? I think it def sounds like he is getting some of the meds w/ the sore improving like that...........

I think that is kind of what I am doing.

I slowly lift him up and out of the water with his mouth out first and pull him up just past his gills about halfway out, let him squirm until he settles down and opens up more and then I squirt it in and let him sit there for a few seconds to either munch a bit or just stay there with his mouth wide open (wont eat) and as I lower him back down he comes pouring out like the exorcist! HA

But he hasnt eaten ALL day. Usually its off and on through out the day, except for today.... Sigh....

Would it help if I took a video of me attempting to syringe feed him?

OH I forgot to add, I havent seen poop all day so he must not be getting much....

Edited by Thea

I wonder if it would help to crush and put some garlic juice on it? Do you have any?

Yeah I mentioned that a bit ago, I dont off hand, I cleaned my fridge out when I moved. I am going to go get some tomorrow.

I took a video of me feeding him with the syringe. I would like you guys to take a look and see if you think he is getting any in the process.

I am uploading it now...

I had to have my bf record after I gave up on trying to hold, feed and record with 2 hands. Dont mind me talking to myself...

th_MVI_7280.jpg

Ok,I would just put 1 tiny bit,then let him down-they cannot take that much food-I think he HAS to spit it out.

Edited by kukana

You know, I was thinking the same thing.... I think he is eating more than I should even expect. I was concentrating so much on doing everything right that I didnt realize how much I was feeding him until I watched it.

Also when I watched it, it looks like I was poking him to try to open towards the end but I promise I was just motioning it and not touching him :)

Edited by Thea

I think it looks like you are being gentle and loving w/ him :heart It's just too much food. I can't tell-are you keeping his gills under the water?

Ok good, because he is my baby :wub:

You can kind of tell that I do and as I am feeding him I will notice he's out of the water too much, past his gills, and I'll bring him back down. I am supposed to correct?

I've only attempted this 1x myself-that's what I would do. Try to make his as comfy as possible,and water over the gills is VERY comfy for a fishy :goldfish:

Thanks Kukuna! It wasnt as hard as I was expecting but I still feel bad as it is stressful for him, hopefully tomorrow looks up and he eats pieces by himself again.

I guess I have all my questions answered for now. I document a lot of this stuff here so I can remember what the days are like and can look back on when he was eating and when sores get better or worse. So dont mind my constant postings :)

I will keep you guys posted with any changes or when I think of another question. Hehe

:thanks

thea, you did good, but yes, a little bit of food and then gently sink the fish back into the tank sloooowwwly so that he knows he's going back and not to panic. next time, he may not spit so much food out.

i do believe he ate some. the feed in the syringe is too much.. just aim for a quarter of that amount each time and ensure his gills are partly under the water for that added comfort. if that's your first attempt, you handled it like a pro! good work :)

i am sorry i haven't been around much, i know my opinion was wanted in a few posts.. it's a very busy business period for me at the moment, but, you are welcome to PM me if my attention is required should i miss it in a post.. ok? you're doing great :heart

:uwelcome I always reference earlier posts when going through something like this too.......

Thanks Helen,

I completely understand. Its been a busy time for me lately that's why when this happened I could help but think FML.... :wall

This is a full time job for you guys, and I think I speak for everyone when I say it means a lot that you guys help. It really, really does.

Until next time... Goodnight!

Thanks Helen,

I completely understand. Its been a busy time for me lately that's why when this happened I could help but think FML.... :wall

This is a full time job for you guys, and I think I speak for everyone when I say it means a lot that you guys help. It really, really does.

Until next time... Goodnight!

:heart you've done some helping too :) that's what we're all here to do, help and learn :)

i like your new avatar btw :heart

He is eating pieces by himself today :clapping:

There is a white piece at the bottom of the tank, I wonder if he lost a tooth :/ Maybe he had an abscessed tooth! Ha!