OMG HELP! Huge red pus sore out of nowhere!

BriansMom

I think you're right. That sore must be hurting him. Unfortunately, I am horrible at these assisted feedings, so I will ring for help from other members who do particularly great jobs with this, including Helen. They can help in that regard much better than I can.

Hang in there.

Thea, we may need to go with the MetroPlex in QT as well, although I think with the soft belly, it's much better to get some MMs in him.

Edited by dnalex

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats ok, I appreciate what your doing for me..... I almost hope its the sore hurting him and not him refusing to eat. Assuming I wont hear until the morning, should I put the metro in the tank water since he wont eat? He just seems so far into this I want to do something before its too later.

And if they have ways to feed him to suggest, I can do a water change?

• Supporter

thea, when was the last time you saw this fish poop and what did the poop look like. soft belly does not sound good, however, it could be a symptom of other issues that may not necessarily result in death. the fish is swimming, dorsal is up, trying to get around also. i do have a video of how to prepare peas with epsom.. you can always add crushed MM's to this solution, but, perhaps if you jave JungleAP should you suspect it's parasites, might be a better option.

here is a video i prepared for susan a while ago. just look at the consitency.. not so much what's in it. i recommend peas,1 epsom granule and the medicine of your best judgement. feed as often as you can in the first few days, i doubt that there is risk of overmedicating with this method seeing as some of the food is expelled into the water by means of normal mouth movement.

then just feed the same way i fed my fish in the vid that Alex posted for you.

I'm so sorry the little dear is not doing well :( I just wanted to say that Puff (who is 95 grams) is getting about 35 pellets of MMs a day.

Hope this helps!

Well I was nervous to peek into the QT this morning, but hes hanging in there. He is quite active too. My poor baby.... I think I saw him poop last night and it looked normal. I DO know he pooped a few days ago LONG, white stringy poops. Im so mad at myself for not catching this earlier. I honestly thought it was flukes. Now I need to know what is going on since my other oranda has been bottom sitting a bit lately too.

What do you guys think it is? And how do you suggest I treat it?

The sore looks about the same.... Do you think its just a drainage hole for whatever is going on inside him?

EDIT- He is scarfing up food!

Edited by Thea

Yup he is eating the metro meds, is searching for more and more. My parents have a food scale I could go get but I hate handeling him with him soft stomach and that sore. Do you think its ok to be picking him up so much? Anyone have an estimate on how much to feed?

I also put some of the seachem metro in the water. Is it ok to do both or should I do a water change?

Edited by Thea

• Supporter

for the first day, i say it's fine. the MetroMeds i have been told need to be fed at 1% of the body weight daily. apparantly that's a lot of food, so it is important that you do weigh him. another thing i wanted to ask, is your fish a confirmed male? ie, have you seen breeding stars on the gill plates and pectorial fins?

Alex thought your fish might be about the same size as puff which is why I posted that he gets 35 pellets a day :) So that might give you a basic idea of how much to feed, but obviously weighing him and getting a more exact measure would be best if you're able.

Ok, I will go get the scale. I see big solid poops and eager eating going on. My QT is 10g and hes a big boy plus the heater is taking up a lot of it. I might go get a bin today for him.

And NO he is not a confirmed boy. In fact I think I remember one of my other fish (who Im not sure what the sex is) doing some investigating around so it definitely may be a girl!

I dont expect anyone to have answers but I was just wondering what you guys think it may be and perhaps the prognosis

-Bottom sitting sometimes but still alert and moving around

-Able to eat now and wanting more and more

-The huge red sore (that may be a bit bigger today, like it wants to drain. GROSS)

-The mushy stomach

-Good poops

What do you think that means?

Should I continue ONLY metro meds now, get rid of the metro in the tank? No salt still? etc etc

What should I do for my other tank since I have the other one acting kinda "slow and dopey"

What is the survival rate for the mushy stomach?

I dont expect people to know, just want some opinions... I can take it! :hide:

Edited by Thea

You can get rid of the metro in the water, and replace it with 0.1% salt if he is still doing well with the eating.

How much bottom sitting are the other fish doing? When did you last treat for flukes?

I think the sore is filled with fluid. It definitely looks like it. And its raise at least a 1/2 inch and it keeps changing shape. Its pretty big and gross, not going to lie!

I just changed half the water to get rid of his poop because he kept trying to eat it. So I will change it all right now. So salt is bad if they are not eating well? Just curious since I dont know much, I have been pretty lucky with my fish. My oranda hasnt necessarily been bottom sitting but he hovers a couple inches off the bottom and doesnt do much swimming. I starting treating them all for flukes 2-3 weeks ago and have had 2 rounds of prazi pro and salt. Oh and the third fish is my sinker so cant judge much off of him....

Edited by Thea

No. Salt is good in general, unless the fish is dropsying.

I should have explained further earlier. I am definitely a proponent of not turning the water into a medication soup, so I don't favor adding anything to the water unless it's necessary, and if I do have to add something, I try to minimize what needs to be added. In the case of the fish not eating, then the priority is to add what may best help him recover from these issues, which would be the antibiotics. Since he is now eating well, and is eating the Metro-Meds, the metro in the water is slightly redundant, so we can remove it and consider salt, since 0.1% will be helpful for healing.

Instead of 0.1% salt, you could also consider 1/2 dose course of Melafix. I have no objection to that :)

Thanks for your help, yes I always known most people hear to object to medication to the water unless absolutely necessary. I guess since he wasnt eating the MM was why I asked as well, especially since I was panicking (still am, HA!)

How long is melafix good for after it is opened? And can you help me again with the percents with the salt? 10 g for .1% is a tablespoon?

Lol. It was the right call yesterday to add Metronidazole to the water. Usually, we worry about antibiotic resistance, and insist that once the course of treatment has started, it should be carried to completion. You are doing that still, since there is metronidazole in Metro-Meds, so you aren't cutting off treatment short :)

I have no idea how long Melafix lasts, but I imagine a long time. Does the bottle have an expiration?

Let's assume 9 gallons of water for the 10 gallon tank. 0.1% is 1 teaspoon dissolved salt per gallon. So that makes it 9 teaspoons :)

Alright sounds good! I am running to my parents to pick up a scale now and I will pick up the melafix as well that I have there and check a date on it. Its probably been almost 2 years since its been opened though. When I take him out to weigh him, I am going to try to get more pics of the sore too. I just really want to know what it is. Im sick of him bouncing around on it, its the only thing that touches the bottom when he is sitting and it is just terrible.

OK so with bowl and water it was 3 llbs 5.3 oz

With him 3 and 10.9

So he is about 6 oz, which would be how much food?

His stomach is still very mushy :( From the gill region to the vent... Doesnt look good for my hunny :( :( :(

Still waiting for someone to have the guts to tell me the chance he has to fight through this...

IMG_7279.jpg

IMG_7278.jpg

IMG_7275.jpg

Pictures of sore

So he needs about 0.6 oz of food daily. You can weigh out that much food to get a good idea of how much to feed.

Thea, like I said before, a soft belly is a serious thing, but it doesn't mean certain death. 2 of my fish had this. One fish had a belly as you described, and the other was more like air in the abdomen. Both recovered after Metro-Meds. I can't give you a prediction with yours, but it's fantastic that he's eating. If he isn't, I would have told you that his chances have dropped significantly.

Hang in there. He is fighting.