OMG HELP! Huge red pus sore out of nowhere!

BriansMom

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I am back and didnt know what to expect. He is still alive but his rash on his stomach has gotten pretty bad :( What should I do? I cant get petroleum jelly to stick!

IMG_7673.jpg

IMG_7669.jpg

You know how at the pharmacy aisles there is triple antibiotic ointment that we use to put on cuts and scrapes? If you get the ointment, it will go on him, although you will have to do this several times a day possibly.

Try that, and see how it goes.

Thanks Isabella!

Alex, I just did a 100% water change in my 50g and when I turned the filters back on when it was 1/2 full it turns COMPLETELY cloudy. Its almost white.... do you think these is because I added the prazipro when I first started filling it back up? Im nervous its from my filters but I dont want to redo it if it was just from the meds.....

Oh and when I took the media out, I found out that at one point I added carbon. WTH!!!! Glad the prazi has been worthless these past few weeks.

Oh, shiteza. I'm sorry about the carbon thing. I would laugh at you, but I think I've done something similar. :)

It's definitely the Prazi that is making your tank cloudy.

Haha so stupid, at least it wasnt Gregs tank!

I think gregs rash is getting a bit better with the triple antibiotic cream. It almost seems to fade as I am rubbing it on, then slowly comes back. And the rash is only around the scales but seems to be fading a bit. He also has been pooping a decent amount more! He eats the peas sooo good and we get a ton in him. And he also has lost his first tooth since this started about a month ago! I cant help but laugh when I am feeding him the peas because he makes the cutest smacking/slurping noises when he eats them.

Are we ever going to try antibiotics again or are we just going to let nature work now? If we try them again, I would like to add the powder to the peas as I think we would have a lot better luck with that, I never could get him to eat the MM.

Edited by Thea

Let's give him a break from the meds for a long while, especially because I actually don't think that he is harboring an infections.

He sounds like he is doing very well, all things considered. :)

That triple antibiotic cream is really good. I sometimes forget that it's perfectly fine for fish, but it's definitely good :)

All 10 things considered, hes doing good because hes not dead? :rofl

Kidding, kidding. His rash is officially gone! That cream worked wonders and super easy to rub on with a cotton ball. So since we are thinking its NOT bacterial, there is NOTHING I can do to try to save him from becoming a sinker? :( I know you would suggest the obvious but I am willing to take drastic measures to prevent it. I just HATE having 1 sinker because the quality of life, in my opinion, is little to none. Toby seems miserable....

Are sinkers usually on their sides? Or is Toby because he has super mini fins and not so flat stomach? I just hope greg is at least on his stomach if he does.

Edited by Thea

If you like, we can try some exercises as outlined by Joanne Burke, based on lowered water levels, to see if that will help him. I certainly think that as long as you are willing and he is also, we will of course keep trying. For now, let's focus on non-meds, because I do not think that he is harboring any infections.

What do you think?

The triple antibiotic cream works very well, on a lot of external things. :)

Yes I would love to. Obviously more water changes but thats ok. He seemed a teeny bit less floaty last night, as in didnt shoot to the top as fast when he would go down.

Alrighty, I got the water in the 10g half way full... its the lowest I can do so the filter still reaches. Is this all I do? I dont know if this helps much since he's on the top anyways? Haha

This is what Joanne Burke suggested:

First try to determine if the fish has any parasites and treat for that.

Then put the fish into a 10 or 20 gallon tank and just put in enough water to cover the fish. Use filtration!!! Ammonia MUST be carefully monitored and water changed if the filtration is not removing it. Whisper filters may need to have the "joints" sealed with silicone to keep the siphon working in lowered water .. even the basket on the bottom may need to be removed and a piece of aquarium foam tied on.

Add 1 teaspoon of epsom salts to the water. Do not add more, even if some water needs to be changed. Do not add any regular salt.

Lay and attach a heater along the corner where the sides and floor of the tank meets so that the fish CANNOT end up laying on it and frying their side. Crank the heat up to 84oF. Put an airstone in front so it will move the water up and away from the heater.

Treat any surface sores with antibiotic creme, like Panalog (at the vets) or neosporin.

Do not feed the fish for up to 4 days. Look for expelling of airy, bubbly poops and get them out of the tank.

On the 4th day feed the fish 1/2 of normal rations of high protein (sinking, or soaked and squeezed) food for 4 days. After that, normal amounts of sinking food.

The fish needs to be "walked" while in the tank. This involves placing your hand underneath the fish to get it upright and slowly moving it thru the water to get the fins moving. Do this as many times as possible during the day for about 3 minutes each time until the fish is swimming on its own. This could take up to 3 months if the fish has been floating for a long time.

Yikes! Here we go..... the only thing I dont quite understand is how to place the heater so the fish doesnt lay on it if the water is only so many inches high.

Going to head to walmart to see if they sell cheap filters that may reach further down

Thanks alex :)

Thanks!!! I need all that I can get! I know it is a long shot but over the past few months he's become so calm and tolerant. And I think it's because he's warmed up to everything rather then being exhausted. He seems in good hopes lately so that helps ME!

I am going to leave it at half full until tomorrow until after work so I can keep up with the water quality while I have Friday-Sunday off. I bought the same filter I have in it now but will just cut the intake and hopefully I can just add it to my preexisting one!

Its going to be hard to resist feeding him.... THAT is going to be the hardest part.

Edited by Thea

Be strong, be tough, and fins crossed!

This technique has been tried by a number of other people, and while it's involved, it does give you a hope of success. So, hang in there! :)

It's his sweet little face that keeps me going. I know everyone says this, but he is THE most adorable thing ever, and he has gotten even cuter with age which has been the opposite with my others.

And this is probably going against the goal... but you know how people eat a ton of crap in a night before "they start their diet tomorrow" welllllll since I start fasting him tomorrow for a few days, I let him eat almost a whole carton of blood worms :blink:

LOLOL. Omg, you crack me up :rofl

I don't recall blood worms ever really make any of my fish float, so you are probably OK on that account.

He is of course totally adorable. :)

I got another filter at walmart and used the intake to attach to the one I have, but it wont run unless the water is still almost half full. ??? Not sure why but I am going to fuss with it when I got home. Otherwise I have it heating now and am almost to 80 degrees. He hasnt ate for about 36 hours.

IMG_7691.jpg

And here are some pics just because I thought I would remind you how freaking cute he is :D

IMG_7688.jpg

IMG_7677.jpg

IMG_7682.jpg

Edited by Thea