OMG HELP! Huge red pus sore out of nowhere!

BriansMom

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I would love to try that, but I never have so how do I go about it?

He seemed kind of weak last night and this morning, I am a bit nervous to go back. He didnt have much fight in him :(

Edited by Thea

I thought he was dead when I got home :cry1 He was so limp and weak but a few minutes later he was swimming around so I am not sure what is going to happen at this point. I really would like to try the epsom though. Would I want him to eat it like I have seen you mention to people before or put it in the tank? Would I get it at a pharmacy?

He doesn't have to eat it. I usually just put mine straight in the water at 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons. Epsom salt can be obtained at the pharmacy section of any store. It's pure magnesium sulfate, btw.

I think with floaters, because they spend so much energy trying to regain control, they tire out really easily :(

Kinda confused, I was just syringe feeding him but none went down because everytime I put a bit in his mouth he would spit it out along with a TON of water. And I did this like 5-6 times, each time him spitting lots of water out. Ive never seen him do that besides sometimes the first time I give him some food. Where was it coming from? His gills?

Needless to say, he spit it all out. Ha

Do you have him in Epsom, Thea? It may be that he's really constipated, and could not get any more food in.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to check in until now. It's been a long day!

Thanks Miss Colonel! I need to get the other babes pics up! And an updated all orange greg, though I miss the black :)

Alex, yes I have him in epsom- 1/4t, can I bump it up or can you not do that with epsom? I add 1 small granule to a syringe worth of food, idk why, desperate I guess. He still is floating, I think more than ever. He has a hard time even swimming down anymore if he wants to.

Blah, its been almost 3 months since all his issues started and not a dull moment. And Brian still seems... off. Params are good and PP is still in action, hopefully it is just him reacting to the PP and things are getting better. Today even my bf who always thinks I am paranoid about my fish asked if Brian is sick.

Edited by Thea

You've had some tough times with your goldie-babies; I can't tell you how much I respect you for not wavering and just doing an amazing job taking care of them.

With Epsom, you can certainly bump it up, but there is no credible evidence that the higher doses actually does anything more. Let's give him until tomorrow to see how things go.

It's never a dull moment with goldfish :rofl

Thanks, that means a lot! I never give up on my animals :) There is something about Greg though that I just love. He is so big and chubby cheeked and the way he moves his eyes to follow me around, just makes my heart break for him! I am just going to take all of this and say, I am getting EVERYTHING out of the way and after all this, I wont have anymore issues! Stay positive, right? Ha!

I am so thankful for your help, you are always so quick to respond. I worry I will have problems with my chickens someday because the forum for chickens, no one EVER responds to peoples topics. I am spoiled to have fish experts to help me through this crap! You cant help me when it comes to chickens, correct? ;)

Edited by Thea

:o

I can tell you how pretty they are, but that's about it! :rofl

I am always so thankful for Koko and this forum. We have such a lively and caring core group of people here, that it makes it nice to be here, even when we are stressing over troubles with our aquatic babies!

Edit: Thank you re: avatar. He must like them, because he poses for them, I swear! :rofl

Edited by dnalex

Brians fins were red and I figured I should test my water even though I did a 50% change maybe 4 days ago. My ammonia is at .5 WTH- I only have 2 fish in there and they arent crazy about food like the average fish so I dont feed them very much. I dont think I have ever had a cycled tank, I just always have to make sure I change the water a lot to do my best. AND now that my PH is 9- it is such a pain in the butt!!!!!!! I dont even know what to do.

Greg is worse as ever, can barely get him to eat and is just stuck at the top.

UGHHHHH. Just wanted to vent

I'm sorry. :(

You can vent anytime.

I think your tap is getting to be in that situation where you will have to age water overnight to get rid of the ridiculously high pH :(

Well I did an experiment. In the past week or so, the few buckets I added back in (didnt take much out) I would add the seachem powder that is suppose to lower the PH and it worked. It would be 7.2 but I didnt know if I could trust it but it didnt seem to bother them.

So today I just wanted to try doing it to the whole tank and had a bucket of old tank water to put them in just in case it affected them. So I drained all the water and filled it back up, added the powder and put them back in the tank. And everything seems ok, they are more active then ever! Its been a few hours now

So I guess I can trust the powder?

Im still confused where this water is coming from inside him. Half the times I feed him, he does fine and swallows it. Then I will do it later that day and everytime I squirt some in, his mouth is completely clear of water..... But then starts to almost throw up with the food and A LOT of water. Its like a huge gush of water squirting out! Is it coming from his stomach or is he taking it in from his gills? Its just frustrating when half the time, I cant even get meds in him,

Oh yeah, and no changes still :(

Oh I am! Im frustrated but I wont give up.... Should I hold him out of the water when I feed him past his gills or should I just let him be comfortable and let it be?

Also, should I be adding more epsom salt everyday or ONLY when I do water changes?

Its weird how he stopped floating for a day and went back to floating....

Getting ready to go to bed.... did a water change about an hour ago, put some blood worms in and left the filter off to give him a chance to eat some and I walked by (hour later) and he was just floating and it looked like they werent touched like usual. Was going to go to bed but decided hey, I'll just help him try to eat at least a couple worms and he ate them ALL. In huge quantities too. Just yesterday he wouldnt eat them at all, I bet he ate at least 20 tonight within a couple minutes. So I am so happy he is comfortable again. I am hoping to feed him some mushed peas/metro powder because he loved that last month and seemed to really help. I know he hates the taste of the MM so it will be a nice break if I can keep feeding him a variety of things.

Small feat really, but any feat makes me feel better :)

Edited by Thea