OMG HELP! Huge red pus sore out of nowhere!

BriansMom

Ha great. Brian and toby deserve some after last night! And the others for sharing their tank! Would I share a compartment of food among the three tanks? Or each tank get one? Should I syringe greg? He even attempt peas a few hours ago.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you need to syringe feed, as that might irritate his mouth even more. Since you don't have that many fish, one cube of blood worm is enough to go around for the whole day. :)

Ok one more question! I sprinkled some of the seachem stuff in the test tube and it went from purple to 7.4..... safe to use in my tap water or should I get water out of toby and brians tank since its probably 0-0-0?

I changed it before you replied :S Sorry, as you have noticed I am a bit impatient.

I took out 75% and half of what I put back in was B&T tank and the other half was tap with seachem buffer.

I tested the PH after 5 minutes of the change and it was 7.4 I hope the reading is accurate.

He wont attempt to eat at all if he is on his own because its hard when he is floating at the top. So I will hold him in my hand very gently and rest his stomach against the bottom while he eats. He can only do about 2 worms at a time. If he accidentally sucks in another 2 he will spit them out. So it was a constant 5 minutes of sucking them in, sucking more in and spitting most of the out. So I think he got some but it is SUCH a process. And my hand starts to shake after a few minutes trying so hard to keep him still and he loses his concentration. Poor thing must be in a lot of pain because he will kind of jump if he tries too hard to chew. And when he does chew it is sooo light just barely opening and closing his mouth- no chewing/sucking motion at all like they normally do.

Well, I know I have said it before but I want you to know how much I appreciate how much you have helped me. IDK what we would have done without your help :) You are so quick to respond and are so patient with me!

He does swim around some so I dont think he is too unhappy. Maybe just uncomfortable. I am not sure if anything will help him, but at the very least I want the rest of his life to be as comfortable as possible. I dont think i would ever be able to euthanize him so I trust that he will go naturally when it is time. Hopefully I wont be in a predicament over his life. He's been very strong through this. Can you believe it has been two months since he first became ill!? I am hopeful he will fight as much as he can no matter what the outcome.

Thanks again, I will keep you updated.

Edited by Thea

Still no changes, including not eating :(

My new question is how much do you suggest I feed him? I already dumped maybe a 1/4 of one in there this afternoon and he ate little to none. Its so hard to tell because he is constantly spitting it out and I am sure the filter sucks most of it up before he gets the chance to have any. Should I do it more than once a day? I dont want to dirty my tank up if he wont eat any of it anyways. Since its not medicated, I dont have to worry as much about him getting plenty but how much does he need to eat to keep him healthy? Do I force feed him?

Now I am a little eery of Toby. I am not sure if I am paranoid and he is always just a bump on a log so it is hard to tell if he is sick. But he is doing a lot of big gulp breaths and looks a little pale in color. I was nervous to come home at lunch because I honestly thought he may be dying. But I have no idea! I felt around and he is firm everywhere but kind of soft in an area that I am not sure if its suppose to be soft. Its past his butt where his tail fins attach, that little area if you can picture a ranchus back end.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Ranchu.JPG - This shows kind of what I mean by that back end part

Am I being paranoid or is there anything I should do or check? Hes never really active so I dont know if he is acting weird or not

Params are all good 0-0-10 7.2 PH

Brian is also bottom sitting a bit but he does that sometimes (imitates toby?) Could they be experiencing ill effects from the PH crash at all?

Brians look ok. Would they be lighter or darker if there was a problem? Sometimes they look a bit darker than your typical red but its hard to tell with the lighting but I think they are good.

I could not even get a glimpse of Toby's, his head to his gill plates is SO thick, like his wen extends that far so it was impossible to open them. I tried forever too but there just was no give in them what so ever and he wouldnt stop thrashing around.

I think Brian is acting pretty normal but Toby is just doing a lot of deep breathing :/

Also, no changes in Greg :( I am trying to stay positive but he still cant eat... Its been almost 2 weeks I think of no eating and floating at the top. What do you think about it? Do you think he has a chance to pull through or do you think this may be near the end for him?

Edited by Thea

To be honest, it doesn't look very promising. :(

It seems to me he has some sort of SBD, and because we are not able to get meds into him, he's still having problems. Eventually he will turn into a sinker, I think.

Will you upload a video of Toby?

Oh no :( Not another one! I appreciate you telling me what you think, I like knowing rather than having false hope and it doesnt change how I would treat him. Although do you think I should go back to syringe feeding him MM? I feel like he got more of that down than anything. At least if he does, I can have him and toby in my 30g and put the 3 in the 30 g with Brian in the 50g. I know I should have done that all along but my 3 are my babies and my 50g is next to my couch so I can hang out with them :)

I am out taking care of my chickies now but will be heading back soon and I will get a video of tobes. It is kind of hard to judge, especially for someone else because its hard to know how he normally is. Although I have noticed that when he is laying there (he always lays on his sides) that he will lift his tail up, kind of into a c shape slightly. I dont remember that being typical of him. Anyways, I will get one up soon.

Ok here he is, let me know if anything seems off to you. the breathing at the end is what he has being doing a lot lately.

Dont mind brian, for some reason he loves the camera!

I'm due to add some more Maracyn but I think I will wait until I hear what you think Alex. Im wondering if I should feed him MM through syringe since the worms arent being eaten much, if at all. I am not sure if I can do both so I will wait to hear your intake :D

Go ahead with the Maracyn 2, since we don't want to break the treatment cycle. I'm going to be able to get on my computer soon, and watch the video :)

OK - two things:

1) if you can go ahead and give him metro-meds by syringe, please do.

2) as for Toby, I noticed that he appears to have some excess slime coat. Has it been like that for a while?

Ok sounds good about greg.

As for toby, I think he is always like this. I think its almost like a "callous" from always being on the bottom. Before it would kind of wear away but now it seems better/more slime maybe? As far as I can remember, he has always been like that.

I think they may have flukes or something that shows similar symptoms. Here is a video of Brian... He is such a little derp lately. Always out of it like you can see, and in this video he does a yawn twice. What do you think?

If you find that he's been bottom sitting a lot, but rouses when stimulated, then flukes is a good possibility. When did you treat last? According to the books, and people's experiences, flukes are almost impossible to eradicate, and the best we can do is keep their numbers down with occasional treatments, ranging from every year to every couple of years.