Sign in to follow this  
BriansMom

OMG HELP! Huge red pus sore out of nowhere!

Unfortunately, no, and while I have no problems with trying to pull up the pH from a crash, lowering the pH is another beast entirely, and a very dangerous one.

With baking soda or a buffer, we know that there is only so high we can go in raising the pH.

With lowering the pH, there are some dedicated buffers that might do a good job, but I personally don't know of any home remedies that you can rely on like baking soda. In any case, let's check tomorrow and see.

I know you've had some terrible times with goldies. I'm sorry :(

I was assuming not but figured it was worth a shot. Blah, at least I can breath now. Hopefully everything goes ok in the 30g tonight. I am just thankful that the PH was ok when I did greg's tank just this afternoon! I cant imagine what that would have done to him...

Goodnight, thanks again!!!

I read our water section on our city site and they say they do hourly tests for PH during the 16 hours its operated so hopefully it will be fixed before I have to head to work.

Good luck!

And one last thing :)

Go ahead and put 2x the amount of Prime in your 30g, to act as an additional safeguard in the event that the two additional fish overnight will produce more ammonia than the tank's cycle can handle. I doubt that this will be the case, but it's nice to have backup :)

HOLY COW!!! I have just read through this ENTIRE thread, and I have to say, Thea, you are extremely dedicated to Greg! I am also amazed at your knowledge, Alex!

Thanks Knoid :) Hes my little buddy!

Ok so is this weird? My tap is still 9ish but I retested my tank and its down to 7.4!? I guess its safe to put them in? I just didnt think it would go down just by sitting over night...

It's not weird about the pH. Sometimes they inject something in the water to raise the pH, and overnight aeration allows for those gasses (such as CO2) to evaporate, returning the pH to where it normally is. I think it's probably OK to move him/them back, although I would prefer you do that when you have at least an hour to monitor them :)

If this continues to be the case, you will have to age your water overnight, which is a huge PITA.

Well I have to leave for work in 25 minutes, should I move them or what until lunch in 5 hours?

Yeah hopefully this doesnt continue, I will call the place and ask whats up....

Move them later, please. I'd like for you to be there for a bit to make sure they are OK :)

On a lighter night, I have LOVED your chihuahua pictures! HA! The bob marley one was pretty good too. My white chihuahua has a chicken hat that is white with a beak, wattles, and a comb that looks soooooo funny on her because it blends in perfect.

On a lighter night, I have LOVED your chihuahua pictures! HA! The bob marley one was pretty good too. My white chihuahua has a chicken hat that is white with a beak, wattles, and a comb that looks soooooo funny on her because it blends in perfect.

:rofl

Thanks! Poor Dash puts up with these things with great patience and forbearance! :)

Here we are torturing her last summer. She HATES clothes and was so humiliated in this photo!

314433_10150826188980790_113924102_n.jpg

:rofl

Dash actually really likes his clothes :rofl

Well I called the city- They said it typically runs 8.8-9 but there is no way.... it has always came out 7.4 for me for the past few years, including 6 hours before that mess. There is a ton of construction by my place plus he said they have been flushing hydrants if that makes a difference.

So I guess I didnt get any answers. I pray it goes down because aging water does NOT sound fun. If I did 10 or 20% water changes daily, would that be too much of a PH change to be harm them?

Yes, 10-20% daily changes would be suitable alternatives to aging water. :)

Instructions got a bit wet so I want to double check for the maracyn2. I added 2 packets yesterday, do I add just 1 more today?

That is correct.

How is everyone? Did you move them back?

Yes, Toby and Brian are back to normal in their home! And look better than ever. Tap is still at 9ish. Greg hasnt ate any of his peas but I am heading to Fargo tonight to pick up blood worms and brine.

The part where I get confused is if I were to do, lets say, 100% WC tonight in Gregs tank, would I add back 1 packet or 3 packets? Is he slowly getting more and more antibiotics every day or do they become no good at some point in the tank? Or if I did a 100% change in 4 days, would I add 6 packets?

Is there ANYTHING you can think of that I may need eventually in all of this mess since I am heading up there? I have metro powder and food, prazipro, maracyn 2 (will pick up more probably), salt. Anything I may run into that I would need?

Kanamycin is good to have on hand, or Triple Sulfa, or Furan-2. You actually should not really ever need them, since these are waterborne treatments, but since it's far away, it's an option to keep it available.

You just add 1 packet of Maracyn 2 even if you do 100% WC. Minocycline doesn't stay active very long once out of the packet.

I'm glad the two are back and happy in the tank. I guess the thing to do now is to do 10-20% WC daily, until the tap pH situation changes.

Ok perfect. And there is no products that are reliable to take PH down to at least help with the 10% going into the tank?

My maracyn 2 has a yellowish tint to it which I saw you say means its degrading in another topic so I got to get some new stuff.

Thanks a million!

If they have neutral buffer, it might be worth getting. :)

Haha omg.... I just noticed an exp date on the maracyn2 and its July 2010!!!!!!!!!! I bought it yesterday!!!!!!! :crazy:

This just never ends.....

Um...have a talk with the store you bought it from...

On my way home with gregs yummies! I got shrimp, krill, and blood worms. What do you suggest would be the easiest for him to eat? Hopefully not blood worms because they look soooooooo nasty, I might gag. I got sea chems neutral regulator since I like their products.... Maybe it will.help

I like Seachem products, also :)

Unfortunately, I think the easiest are probably the worms. (oops)

Don't forget to share with the others. They'll love it, too.