OMG HELP! Huge red pus sore out of nowhere!

BriansMom

The only other thing that I can think to try is Prazi & Maracyn 2, aimed at knocking out both bacteria and external parasites like flukes. We've used it before on the forum to aid a fish with similar issues.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok sounds good, I will get him started tomorrow..... Continue with the MM until 14 days? Salt?

I wish I could just hug the little bugger, I feel so bad for him!

Edited by Thea

I just put greg in his hospital tank- 10g

-2 packets of maracyn 2

-1/2 teaspoon of prazipro

-No salt

-All completely covered

-Room temp- 74 with no heater

He got down more MM today than he has the past few days. Should I continue with the MM?

Edited by Thea

Update....

He is very eager to eat the peas and chews on them for maybe 5-10 seconds then spits them out. If he doesnt spit them out instantly, hopefully that means the gills feel better :/ He is also swimming around more in the 10g.

I am hoping I wont have to change the water too much because of going through so many meds and what not. Sorry to pester, but should I continue the MM? I just dont want to OD him if that is possible but I assume I should continue the full treatment?

No, let's stop the MMs. I would like for you to concentrate on very soft foods that he can try to eat with minimal irritation. :)

Definitely check your parameters. Even though you might have to change the water, it's necessary. That's why QT should always be a 10g in cases of 1-2 fish, because we can save on meds, AND water changes are much easier to do. :)

Great, thanks!

What do you suggest for soft foods besides very mushy peas? My bf has a meeting tomorrow in the town where the closest petco/petsmart is so I can possibly pick something up if needed.

Also, I found some Jungle medicated food today, would that be something I should have on hand for possible future treatments with my fish?

ETA: Is it ok to turn on the tank lights a few times a day just to check on him to see what he has eaten and if he is digesting anything?

Edited by Thea

:rockon

So should I pick up frozen brine tomorrow? Any other suggestions? Should I make a gel food with baby food? Im not sure what would be easiest for him to eat.... IDK if gelatin would be too tough

No gel food for now. Stick with these:

1. very mushy peas

2. frozen blood worms

3. frozen brine shrimp

Start with very very small amounts to encourage him to eat :)

Ok so I may be paranoid but Brian is acting REALLY wierd. I am kind of nervous.

I just did a 100% water change so it went from .3 salt to none. Would that make him act weird?

He is turning in the water and laying on his side mid-water if that makes sense. And then he will be on the bottom on his side. And then perk up and start free-floating kind of turning in the water again. Im nervous! I dont know what is making him do this, all I did was change the water but it was a large one....

Check your paramaters, including pH. Do you have some spring water that you could temporarily place him in a small container while checking? Did you add Prime?

Also, check tap

I did forget to add the prime, but it was only about a half hour.... Idk if that is a long time but I think ive forgotten in the past that amount of time and no weird behavior

He lets me handle him which is SO weird. Then he will perk up and swim around again. I have some bottled water but its cold so I will have to warm it a bit....

Edited by Thea

Well, check your tap for ammonia, nitrite, and the pH. Then, add Prime, and then put him back.

Sometimes half an hour is enough to cause him to react.

How big is the tank? It sounds like you have a pH shock going. Do you have enough spring or distilled water to change out 50% of the water to bring the pH down?

That is crazy about the pH.

Ugh I am stressing. I tested gregs who I filled maybe 8 hours ago and its at 7.4....... I have no distilled water. It's a 50 gallon tank. Do I have to go to walmart and buy 25 jugs!? Its 11:30 and I have to go to bed soon for work!!

I'm sorry. What other tanks do you have around, even with occupants, not counting the sick babies? I'm trying to see if Brian can live in a colander with someone until tomorrow.

Ok before I read your post, I threw him in my 30 g who already has 3 fish (thats another story), so there are 4 in there now. He seems a lot better instantly. But what should I do about Toby? He is my sinker and the fish in the other tank will beat him up if I put him in there (I tried adding one of them to the 50g but they picked on him so terribly) plus that would be FIVE fish in a 30g.

Do you have a colander or a breeder's net/box you can float him in for the night in the 30g? It's not ideal, but it's certainly better than the new water.

We'll check and see tomorrow about the tap situation. You may want to save some of the tap water now, call the water utility tomorrow, and ask them what happened.

I have a noodle strainer? Haha that is it. But he for sure would get out of it.... Ugh, this is awful! I keep running the water and testing it over and over again hoping it will change. I literally am at loss at what to do. I feel like this is a nightmare.

I usually tie a string to a couple of the holes in the strainer/colander, and then secure them over the lid of the tank so that the colander doesn't really float or sink. I do this for females who get harassed too much by the males during spawning time.

The important thing here is that you reacted in time, and I think everything will be OK.

Check the water in the 50 gallon tomorrow. The pH may actually be normal by then. Check the tap as well.

Ok, thank you so much Alex. This has been the worst month ever, not just fish related too :( I officially decided no more goldies after this, this is just too much.

I have him in the strainer in the 30 g now. Too bad it is due for a water change too... I really hope the water is ok in the morning before work. There isnt any "home remedies" to lower the PH, like there is baking soda to raise it?