Sign in to follow this  
BriansMom

OMG HELP! Huge red pus sore out of nowhere!

Omg I am freaking out I can barely type. I just got home and my oranda has a HUGE sore. HUGE and its raised and looks oozy!!!! Its diameter is at least a nickel! He has been bottom sitting for a week, thought they had flukes since the both were on the bottom/yawning

I am going to test my water ASAP but I just moved this week so it might be awhile before I find the test kit. I just want to get someone to see this post before they go to bed because I am just dying about this!!!!

IMG_7270.jpg

Edited by Thea

Perhaps he caught himself on something in the tank, or hurt himself during the move? Does it seem to bother him at all?

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level To come
  • * Nitrite Level ...
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature? 74
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • 55 gallons 1.5 years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 aquaclear 70s
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 75% weekly

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Last night, 75%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 total, 3-5 inches without fins
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2 times per day, pellets and peas everynow and then
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Him 2 months ago
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prime and salt
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Bought him 2 months ago, had him in QT for a month and never had a problem
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? See photo
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • LOTS of bottom sitting for a week but so was my other one

Its under him so I dont know if I just didnt see it until now..... He has been bottom sitting for a week but other than that no.

Perhaps he caught himself on something in the tank, or hurt himself during the move? Does it seem to bother him at all?

No worries. I think there are a number of us still here, including several from the moderating team! :)

While you are checking on him, would you please also include the following information:

1. check his gills. What color is it and how does it look?

2. check his mouth. Hold him vertically (head up) and lift him straight out of the water so the head is above water. This will result in his opening his mouth. Use a flashlight if you need. See if there are any sores/redness.

3. check is belly, both around the abdoment and around the vent. How does it feel?

4. is he eating? how often does he bottom sit, i.e. what percent of the time when lights are on?

5. what medicated food do you have on hand, if any?

6. do you have aquarium salt? Melafix?

How far did you move,Thea? I'm wondering if the water could be different,since you say they've both been bottom sitting for a week-and you moved a week ago.....

Its under him so I dont know if I just didnt see it until now..... He has been bottom sitting for a week but other than that no.

Since before or after the move?

While I was fighting with the editor, I got ninja'd like 2 times! LOL They'll be much more help than me!

Edited by Akari_32

OK sorry I didnt include much before, I just wanted to get an initial post in asap. I am up loading a video now so you can get a better idea.

I just moved down the hall from my apartment so it was a VERY short, easy move. As easy as a water change basically.

Ill check him in a second, as for meds I have MM and I think the jungle everything one. Currently salting for what I thought was flukes.

Bottom sits 50% time (after the move) but I thought for sure it was flukes because my other one has been too (not nearly as much tho) and hes been yawning a lot too

Edited by Thea

Ugh I think I am going to cry :( Soft means almost dead doesnt it? :(

I couldn't answer that, sorry. Alex should be back along soon...

Ugh I think I am going to cry :( Soft means almost dead doesnt it? :(

Not necessarily, but it does mean that the situation is serious and requires immediate intervention. Thankfully, I think you have the reagents necessary to help him. Will you go ahead and finish answering those questions about the tank parameters?

I think it will be very important to set up a QT for him.

First, let's take care of him. He needs to be moved to QT, with temp at 80 to boost metabolism and fed 1% of his body weight in Metro-Meds. A soft belly indicates that there is an internal infection of some sort (bacterial or parasitic), so MM pellets are perfect for this. You will also want to change his water daily, to give him an infusion of fresh water daily.

I'm also a little concerned that you have some small amounts of nitrites in the main tank. That level is not particularly toxic, but it is very stressful chronically, and stressed fish are more prone to getting sick. I looked over your routine, stocking, and filtration, and everything looks great. I'm not sure why you have that amount of nitrites; it may be that you are having a bump in the second step, where something is weird with the Nitrobacter. I would go ahead and give them another big WC ASAP, and monitor your levels daily and take appropriate steps (WCs) until the situation has corrected itself.

Hang in there. It is serious, but it's not guaranteed that it's fatal.

As for that lump on his chin, I am inclined to think that it is coming from bottom sitting, and acquiring some sort of infection there. There daily water changes, and the Metro-Meds should take care of that issue, as well.

Edited by dnalex

Thea,fins and fingers crossed for you and your angel :heart

Thank you!

I think I may have cleaned too much when I moved, I lost some BB's. >_<

Ok I dont understand percents and weight so can you help estimate for me?

Hes maybe 4 inches long but hes a big boy, quite bulky... How many MM pieces do you suggest?

Hes in QT now, add salt?

Edited by Thea

Thea,until alex gets back-I would go ahead and just give him a few-3 or 4...........Do you have a food scale?

You don't need to add salt. Just daily WCs :)

I can't remember how many pellets of MMs tithra gave to Puff, but I think they are about the same size. I'll ask her to check in, as well, but since the 1% is to be several meals each day, you can go ahead and start giving him MMs any time you like.

No but I dont even think it matters, i cannot get him to eat! Im so upset over this, I scoot him to it and he will take it in his mouth a barely nibble on it and it eventually comes out. I think it is really hurting him to eat because to move his mouth he has to use the area with the sore :(

Can you break the pellets up into smaller pieces? Even crush between 2 spoons if you have to......

No but I dont even think it matters, i cannot get him to eat! Im so upset over this, I scoot him to it and he will take it in his mouth a barely nibble on it and it eventually comes out. I think it is really hurting him to eat because to move his mouth he has to use the area with the sore :(

OK. I think perhaps the way to go is to mush up the pellets in some tank water, and syringe feed him. Here is Helen's video showing how she does it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gwTpEiMkZRU

I just tried that so it was pure mush and its like he "breaths" it in and "breaths" it out. Wont even try to eat it, do some fish not like the taste of new food? Inside his mouth looks normal.

Sorry I keep responding before I see the other posts.

I dont have a syringe so I wont be able to until tomorrow... But will he keep it in if I do syringe? Because he takes in the mush but will not leave it in....

Edited by Thea