Wild Caught Least Killifish

Akari_32

LOL I've got a BN pleco, a betta, and 4 Endlers(Almost positive they're hybrids. Females get slightly bigger than males.),plus whatever babies they decide to give me. Trying to save some room xD

But, I do plan on setting up a 6G for my new Halfmoon sometime in the future,so maybe I'll try killifish in there. Or try moving the Endlers to the 6G and trying platies in the 10.Dunno yet,still have some time to think xP

(Crappy PhotoBooth pic of the new guy ,better ones coming at some point soon: http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt202/SyntheticxSound/dae54732.jpg)

EDIT- Linking the picture would help...xP

Edited by SynthHermit

That BN is probably gunna need a bigger tank. My girl is like 5 or 6 inches. If it was a "cheap" one, you'll want a bigger tank ;) Platies do best in a 20 long, they are crazy hyper, and I've seen some pretty big ones (4 inches!! :o).

Have you seen those 6.6 gallon bookshelf tanks at PetCo? I love those things! But for the price, I can get so much bigger LOL

Awwww the new guy is so pretty!

Least Killies are totally cool, though. I can catch them my self, so I know where they are coming from, and how they're handled, they are small, and not very active, so they don't need too large of tanks, and they are easy to breed (being livebearers), but don't pop out 4 billion babies at a time LOL

I'm not sure I would consider him to be a cheap one,I think he was about $7-8. My dad thought he was cute and really seemed to like him,and since he isn't the biggest fan of my fishtanks(despite having lots of larger tanks himself years ago...xP), I bought it for him. I would put him in with the goldies, but he's so small, and I'm at my limit with them.

Grr...my sister is taking the 20L we have for her tortoise,whenever the flip she decides to get it (has to be resealed anyways. stupid hamsters xP). I didn't realize they got that big, I always thought they only got to be about 2-3 inches tops. =o

Can't say I've seen those,even though I've been to PetCo a gazillion times in the past couple weeks.Maybe the ones near me don't have them. There's a tank in my attic that my dad built,and after calculating things, it came out to be roughly 6G,so my plan is to use that one. It's nice and long.

Thanks! I'm praying that this fin rot goes away. Poor guy's got it on his tail really bad,and it's starting on one of his pect. fins. =c

I'd love to catch my fish myself. I was actually debating on doing that, since my grandmother has a pond and brooke behind her house. Blue Gills, Pickerel, and Catfish (I think) in the pond, and crayfish and some sort of small minnow like thing in the brooke. Maybe once I get my own place.

Yep lol They can get to be a pretty good size! Here's my Ninja's dad. He's about 8 inches! :o

securedownload-1-2.jpg

I don't think, if you've got a decent sized tank, that adding a BN in with the goldfish would really make that much of a difference. They certainly don't poop as much as the goldfish do! Just a slight adjustment in water changes should be fine...

If you have filters and stuff laying around, I'd take up PetCo's $1 per gallon sale :)santa But check those tanks out on PetCo.com! They are totally cool! Longer than a 10 gallon, and are a really great length for a betta :)

He should get over it soon! If he doesn't start looking better in a week or so, I'd bust out some meds, though.

I go out with a net, catch any small fish I can, look them over, take some pics, release them, then go home and see what they are. Its fun, even if I can't keep them lol

*edit*

Heres a pic of Ninja. She's actually gotten a bit bigger since this pic was taken...

307337_10150307068338386_726278385_8147627_666196893_n.jpg

Edited by Akari_32

D= Lord! So much for them only getting about 5inches Dx. I currently have 2 29G setups, 4 goldies in one (the top), 2 in the other(the bottom). One from the top will be moving to the bottom in a month or so, after my new guys have gone through isolation/quarantine. Maybe when Spot (the pleco) gets bigger I'll plop him in.

I have one extra filter laying around,and I think the motor is shot on it. I'm not really counting the little air-pump filter,although I'll probably end up using that for the 6G. I have a stand for a 55G, but it's half-blocked in front of the window. That and the whole thing with my dad thinking I have enough tanks already xD But I am looking forward to that sale, even if I can't get anything.

About how long are they? I re-measured when I was up there earlier looking for a table (gotta love that the final project for my drawing II class has to be 5ft long and almost 4ft wide Dx),and the 6G was about 30in long.

His fins tips looked redder than yesterday, and a lot redder than when I got him, so I added about a tsp of salt. I have to change the water tomorrow(Monday at the latest),so it won't be for long,but hopefully long enough to stop it.

I think a fishing trip to the pond is in order when it gets warmer. Next time I go up, I'm definitely bringing my camera and a net. See if I can get some of those fish/crayfish to figure out what they are/how much space they need.

Aww,Ninja looks like my mom's Albino, Penny.

Yeah lol They're both a bit beastly XD Dad is like 2 inches across the head! :o

Heres a link to the 6.6 http://www.petco.com/product/14978/Petco-Bookshelf-Freshwater-Fish-Aquarium.aspx?Ntt=bookshelf&OneResultRedirect=1

Aww, poor dude. You might try some Kordon Fish Protector in there with him. Its full of vitamins and herbs and stuff.

Hehe, fishing trips are totally fun! I got soaked during mine today lol Had to change my pants. I hope my car doesn't smell like river water tomorrow XD

THAT'S THE ONE MY MOM HAS HER GOLDIES IN! =O Holy crap. Got excited for a minute there. xD

Her goldies are going into a 20G soon(poor guys are probably pretty stunted by now,theres four of them in there, 3 since early january and 1 since mid feb :c She just won't listen to me),and I do believe she's going to put her betta in that one.

Haha,my car smelled like fish pond for a couple days after helping my aunt's neighbor move her fish from my aunt's pond back to her own. I was knee deep in pond slime for a good 2 hours. xP

I'm definitely going to have to have my dad with me when I go fishing in the pond. Last time we went fishing is a couple years ago,and I ended up sticking my thumb trying to get the worm on the hook. Still can't get the hook out of the fish. Bluegills are mean,with their stupid little spiked dorsals....they hurt. =/

He's the one with the fishing license anyways xD

Poor fishies D=

I don't go real fishing when I'm alone LOL I'm too much of a chicken when it comes to things flailing and moving really fast XD And I'm *really* good at catching catfish, with their pointy fins, and slimy bodies....

Baha,my cousin caught a pretty large catfish last time we were there. That's the only time I've seen them,though. But I am semi-decent at catching the crayfish in the brooke.

LOL I'm more of a chicken when it comes to grabbing said flailing thing and not getting stuck by the hook or the pointy fins...or bitten,in the case of pickerels.

Yeah,not to mention that she has her BN in there with 'em. And she was talking about adding her betta to that gang when they go to the 20G....Dx I think I may be close to convincing her to either leave it where it currently is,or put it in the to-be-empty 6G. She's a believer of the "goldfish only grow as big as their tank" myth. And thinks that I can have all 6 of mine in a single 29G.

Getting back on topic for a sec... All three made it through the night :) They're in a Kritter Keeper right now with some young RCS, and the RCS are bigger than they are LOL I've dropped a shrimp pellet in for the shrimp, and the larger female is interested in it, but I don't think she knows what to do with it XD

Grabbing flailing catfish is a skill I don't think I'll ever have LOL I get the heebie geebies just going into my tank when I can't see what I'm doing (when I've stirred up the sand, or am going in through the jungle of plants in my 5.5 gallon-- I can't even see the background anymore!!!!), and then when the fish rub up against me, I have a heart attack XD

Sure they're ony going to grow to the size of their tank-- They can't get any bigger than the space they're in!! @.@ I like using the baby-in-a-closet, or the puppy-in-a-cage analogy... :peeka

Lil' update, the new Least Killies are doing great! The larger female is showing interest in prepared foods, but I haven't seen her actually eat them yet. The male is showing interest in the larger female, making me think the smaller female isn't quite mature yet. I think the larger one may be close to dropping some fry here soon.... =)

You know, until you (I think it was you) posted about the least killifish a while ago, I never knew about them. But every time I look at them I like them more and more!

And because of that, this topic made me think I WISH THERE WAS A LOCAL SELLER.

Very nice, cute little guys. Coloration reminds me a bit of otocinclus catfish :)

Yeah, I'm sure that was me lol

I love these little guys! They are much easier to handle than most other livebearers, and because there are not inbred and "domestic" like alot of Guppy strains out there, they are very hardy, and they do great straight from the river and into my tank. I plan on selling them soon, when they over populate my 5.5 gallon, and are moved into a 10 gallon :)

They do look like little Oto's, don't they? :P

They can be caught in just about any Southern state. A trio would be great to get any one started. I hope to get these little guys more popular from the tank-raised side of fishkeeping, but keep them as sturdy as they are wild caught, which does mean introducing wild fish back in every now and then, and fish from other people.

If you can get some that aren't from Florida, me and you might be havin' a lil' chat in the future >=3

Haha, yeah! Possibly! :) That would be great, whenever I can set up a separate tank with the angelfish, there would be a lot of room for smaller fish in my community tank. Meaning there'e be 55 gallons used only by a dozen black neons, four platies, four cories and three otos.

I think the Black Neons and Platies could eat a male Least Killi in one bite LOL

Now that is AWFUL :rofl Maybe they better be in their own tanks then. Still gotta loo into their care and all that good stuff :) I'll keep you in mind though :yeah:

They're easy! THe ones I currently have (not the new ones posted here) pretty much take care of themselves. They eat off the plants and driftwood, but also take prepared foods, frozen foods, and fresh veggies. They're small size makes them good for tanks as small as 5 gallons and the females only drop a few fry a day over the corse of a week or so, resulting in 5-30 (but can be as much as 60) fry. The adults tend to not eat the fry, which makes life pretty easy lol

They're easy! THe ones I currently have (not the new ones posted here) pretty much take care of themselves. They eat off the plants and driftwood, but also take prepared foods, frozen foods, and fresh veggies. They're small size makes them good for tanks as small as 5 gallons and the females only drop a few fry a day over the corse of a week or so, resulting in 5-30 (but can be as much as 60) fry. The adults tend to not eat the fry, which makes life pretty easy lol

Except for the rehoming part :rofl

At least in my case, as NONE of my LFS takes in fish, except for one, but their freshwater fish care really sucks and I wouldn't want to expose the poor guys to their horrible care.